Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Spiritater wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:We're too good to go down!

Barnet all but gone now, it's a long way back from where they are.
You have a more potent team than Chesterfield, Morecambe and Crewe and maybe a couple of others. I think you'll comfortably survive, hopefully at the expense of Chesterfield :D

I worry to death over statements such as NFR or Spiritater offer.
Last year both Cheltenham & Newport looked doomed at this time of season. Cheltenham eked out survival in later stages of season while Newport were in same position as Barnet and went on a very, very late promotion-type run that culminated in survival in final minutes of final game of season.
Orient & Hartlepool both thought they were safe until final weeks of season.
Until the final game of season and FGR are at least 4 points clear of automatic relegation I'll continue to worry.
However I do not think FGR will be relegated.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:03 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:We're too good to go down!

Barnet all but gone now, it's a long way back from where they are.
You have a more potent team than Chesterfield, Morecambe and Crewe and maybe a couple of others. I think you'll comfortably survive, hopefully at the expense of Chesterfield :D

I worry to death over statements such as NFR or Spiritater offer.
Last year both Cheltenham & Newport looked doomed at this time of season. Cheltenham eked out survival in later stages of season while Newport were in same position as Barnet and went on a very, very late promotion-type run that culminated in survival in final minutes of final game of season.
Until the final game of season and FGR are at least 4 points clear of automatic relegation I'll continue to worry.
However I do not think FGR will be relegated.

Agree with this, having said that if I was a neutral I'd back us to survive but as a fan I'll be worrying about it until it's mathematically impossible!
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Agreed.....
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Plus ... keep out of potential points deduction scenarios. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 pm

[quote="Mothy"]I don't know where Coops was before the last 10 mins?

Mark Cooper spends his time watching the game from the boardroom when he is not in the technical ares.
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:38 pm

SNJ Ash wrote:Cov gaffer is very unhappy to lose to a team like FGR.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... est_Green/

He has previous for losing to FGR so it should not be a surprise!

Also just a tad of reality too for any salivating fans. Coventry City might have won the FA Cup and played in the top flight of the English game but they are no longer a heavyweight. That is why they play in League Two.

Good result but it needs to be built on. No gimme’s in this League. Leyton Orient and Hartlepool United weren’t too good to go down and it is a very hackneyed saying.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:41 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:I worry to death over statements such as NFR or Spiritater offer.

Welcome to my world, homie.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:43 pm

I was very heartened by the performance yesterday. For the first time this season we looked like a proper team. Strong at the back. Creative in midfield and threatening to score at the front. Also we played properly for the full 96 minutes, rather than good spells during games. Can we keep that sort of standard up?????
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Has anyones else noticed how we concede so many goals in the 3rd Quarter of the game?
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:21 pm

I give up!

:roll:
Last edited by NewForestRover on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Equinox » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:10 pm

Credit where credits due. Great result yesterday, thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. If we can keep performances at that level of work rate and commitment then maybe, just maybe the gloom we have all been suffering will start to clear and a light may start to flicker at the end of what was seeming to be a rather long tunnel. No back patting yet, go and prove this was not a one off, but well done to all the players, thought they all put in a good shift. What a strike from Lee Collins, hope this is taken on board and players are encouraged to shoot more, his instinctive blast was a joy, not bad for a center half /cm ! Also I thought the energy and work off the ball from Doidge was fantastic, even if the lads not scoring you cant fault his effort. Watched Grubb play for Weston a couple of times before we signed him and admit I was impressed but wasn't shore if the step up would be a big ask for him, pleased to say so far I think hes been fantastic,. Well done.
Equinox
Youth
Youth

Postby Jamal Lacoste » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:40 pm

We will likely go down if we don't work out how to pick up points away.
63* forever.
Jamal Lacoste
First Team
First Team

Postby GreenJohn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 am

Jamal is right. We must not get carried away.

Only three of our remaining home games are against teams in the bottom half, whilst five are away. These are the crucial games. We are unlikely to get enough points from home games, so we need to win at least two away, and not lose to Barnet, Morecambe or Crewe.
GreenJohn
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 am

Am still on a high this morning. Great performance, great result, great crowd. East stand rocking ( but quite a few Cov fans around us with colours on - majority very good natured ). Impressed with defence - gave me added confidence throughout, solid mid-field who worked hard, and front runners gave them problems. Unfortunate with the penalty - though typical forwards attempt at tackle to give them heart, and it could have easily gone horribly wrong afterwards, but for our uplifting drive saw them off. Congratulated LC after in the CE suite, and he said not to expect that shot every week !!. The future is indeed brighter looking through my green-and-black tinted glasses. Bring it on !.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Don't give up NFR.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:09 pm

NewForestRover wrote:I give up!

It's been a pleasure to have you at FGR for matches and your presence of the forum.

Keep up your positive approach to the club - resilience is often required by both players and fans!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Agreed Pitchfork. Far harder to be an optimist than a pessimist, but ultimately more rewarding
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:I give up!

It's been a pleasure to have you at FGR for matches and your presence of the forum.

Keep up your positive approach to the club - resilience is often required by both players and fans!

Er, Could one or both clarify what is meant here? Getting on a bit, chaps, so zee leetle grey cells require recharging. :?

Was it following the Cumbrians comment, or are you quitting the Forum NFR?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lee A » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 am

The Old TomCat wrote:Going thru the Coventry forum I was not unduly surprised that one poster was upset at the low number of fans at game compared to the Ricoh.
Said he could not understand how a team with so little support could do double over Coventry with its greater fan base.
I bet he was unaware that this was the 2nd best attended game of season [3,623] and only 18 less than when Cheltenham visited earlier in season.

I always find this annoying, often you hear managers moaning about their teams crowd not being loud enough etc,

Having a crowd is nice, but 9 out of 10 footballers are being paid to play the game they love, they should be playing for the shirt and if they ain't - just explains why big club like Coventry league 2, you certainly wouldn't have had players like what... Gary Mcalister? Dion Dublin? playing better because of a few extra fans :lol:
Lee A
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Philpot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am

Lee A wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:Going thru the Coventry forum I was not unduly surprised that one poster was upset at the low number of fans at game compared to the Ricoh.
Said he could not understand how a team with so little support could do double over Coventry with its greater fan base.
I bet he was unaware that this was the 2nd best attended game of season [3,623] and only 18 less than when Cheltenham visited earlier in season.

I always find this annoying, often you hear managers moaning about their teams crowd not being loud enough etc,

Having a crowd is nice, but 9 out of 10 footballers are being paid to play the game they love, they should be playing for the shirt and if they ain't - just explains why big club like Coventry league 2, you certainly wouldn't have had players like what... Gary Mcalister? Dion Dublin? playing better because of a few extra fans :lol:

Let’s not forget just how big a club Coventry City are.
They once bought the most expensive keeper in English football. Glazier for £80000 at a time when Shilton and Banks were around
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team