Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby FootieMan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Philpot wrote:Let’s not forget just how big a club Coventry City are.
They once bought the most expensive keeper in English football. Glazier for £80000 at a time when Shilton and Banks were around



Once again they are no longer a BIG club.
They don’t own their own ground.
It might be a big city but the cuckoo of a rugby club who took over their nest gets bigger crowds.
For the visit of FGR they had 6300 and for Cheltenham 6400.
What they did years ago has no bearing on losing to FGR twice and that is the fourth time Mark Robins has failed to beat Rovers.
Teams are in League Two for a reason.
User avatar
FootieMan
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby The Jovial Forester » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

FootieMan wrote:
Philpot wrote:Let’s not forget just how big a club Coventry City are.
They once bought the most expensive keeper in English football. Glazier for £80000 at a time when Shilton and Banks were around



Once again they are no longer a BIG club.
They don’t own their own ground.
It might be a big city but the cuckoo of a rugby club who took over their nest gets bigger crowds.
For the visit of FGR they had 6300 and for Cheltenham 6400.
What they did years ago has no bearing on losing to FGR twice and that is the fourth time Mark Robins has failed to beat Rovers.
Teams are in League Two for a reason.

Though the low home crowds are clearly in large part down to the boycott; they took more than both those figures away to MK Dons in the cup.
User avatar
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby FootieMan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:19 pm

And I accept they took a massive following to Wembley but in real terms it is what they get in their bread and butter fixtures which make the difference to any club and its standing in the pecking order.
User avatar
FootieMan
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:10 pm

'Big' is a relative term and compared to all the League 2 clubs, my perception is that Coventry are one of the 'biggest' along with Luton,Notts County and Swindon. They have had commendable success at a high level and pull in huge crowds.
User avatar
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 8627
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby tommyd » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Pitchfork wrote:'Big' is a relative term and compared to all the League 2 clubs, my perception is that Coventry are one of the 'biggest' along with Luton,Notts County and Swindon. They have had commendable success at a high level and pull in huge crowds.


Exactly, it's incorrect in my opinion to put it all down to gates, especially when there's a boycott. History is also a massive part of what make a club big.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Pitchfork wrote:It's been a pleasure to have you at FGR for matches and your presence of the forum.

Keep up your positive approach to the club - resilience is often required by both players and fans!


Thank you.
It's been a pleasure being here (most of the time!)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
User avatar
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
Er, Could one or both clarify what is meant here? Getting on a bit, chaps, so zee leetle grey cells require recharging. :?

Was it following the Cumbrians comment, or are you quitting the Forum NFR?


No, it was nothing to do with The Cumbrians comment.

No, I'm not quitting the forum.

What would all the pessimists do if I wasn't here to cheer them up?!
:D
Always Looking On The Bright Side
User avatar
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby Tommo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 pm

tommyd wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:'Big' is a relative term and compared to all the League 2 clubs, my perception is that Coventry are one of the 'biggest' along with Luton,Notts County and Swindon. They have had commendable success at a high level and pull in huge crowds.


Exactly, it's incorrect in my opinion to put it all down to gates, especially when there's a boycott. History is also a massive part of what make a club big.


I’m with this too. They represent a substantial city, they have an illustrious history, they still have a big following for a team outside the Premiership/Championship and are a sleeping giant. They are also likely to get close to promotion this season and it was a great win by us.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9114
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby Greeners » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 am

Hi
I do believe that I am correct in stating that no matter how big a club you are there are only 11 people on the pitch during the game, unless you are Coventry playing against FGR at the Ricoh when they did have 12 for a short while. :D :D :D
User avatar
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 am

:
Greeners wrote:Hi
I do believe that I am correct in stating that no matter how big a club you are there are only 11 people on the pitch during the game, unless you are Coventry playing against FGR at the Ricoh when they did have 12 for a short while. :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby Tommo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 am

Greeners wrote:Hi
I do believe that I am correct in stating that no matter how big a club you are there are only 11 people on the pitch during the game, unless you are Coventry playing against FGR at the Ricoh when they did have 12 for a short while. :D :D :D


True. But I thought the main point related to the size of the crowd not the size of the team.

Also it was a good win against a team well above us in the league.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9114
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby Head Honcho » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Strange to see Mark Robins complaining that the pitch at TNL was heavy. Given the fact that the Ricoh is ploughed up by Wasps rugby team every other weekend, TNL is 100 times a better surface, Our mowbot would fall down the furrows in the surface of Coventry's pitch, never to be seen again...
User avatar
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Mark Robins likes to eat sour grapes.............he has learnt a lot from AF. A good choice on the vegan menu at FGR.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Previous

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.