Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby FootieMan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Philpot wrote:Let’s not forget just how big a club Coventry City are.
They once bought the most expensive keeper in English football. Glazier for £80000 at a time when Shilton and Banks were around

Once again they are no longer a BIG club.
They don’t own their own ground.
It might be a big city but the cuckoo of a rugby club who took over their nest gets bigger crowds.
For the visit of FGR they had 6300 and for Cheltenham 6400.
What they did years ago has no bearing on losing to FGR twice and that is the fourth time Mark Robins has failed to beat Rovers.
Teams are in League Two for a reason.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby The Jovial Forester » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

FootieMan wrote:
Philpot wrote:Let’s not forget just how big a club Coventry City are.
They once bought the most expensive keeper in English football. Glazier for £80000 at a time when Shilton and Banks were around

Once again they are no longer a BIG club.
They don’t own their own ground.
It might be a big city but the cuckoo of a rugby club who took over their nest gets bigger crowds.
For the visit of FGR they had 6300 and for Cheltenham 6400.
What they did years ago has no bearing on losing to FGR twice and that is the fourth time Mark Robins has failed to beat Rovers.
Teams are in League Two for a reason.

Though the low home crowds are clearly in large part down to the boycott; they took more than both those figures away to MK Dons in the cup.
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:19 pm

And I accept they took a massive following to Wembley but in real terms it is what they get in their bread and butter fixtures which make the difference to any club and its standing in the pecking order.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:10 pm

'Big' is a relative term and compared to all the League 2 clubs, my perception is that Coventry are one of the 'biggest' along with Luton,Notts County and Swindon. They have had commendable success at a high level and pull in huge crowds.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Pitchfork wrote:'Big' is a relative term and compared to all the League 2 clubs, my perception is that Coventry are one of the 'biggest' along with Luton,Notts County and Swindon. They have had commendable success at a high level and pull in huge crowds.

Exactly, it's incorrect in my opinion to put it all down to gates, especially when there's a boycott. History is also a massive part of what make a club big.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Pitchfork wrote:It's been a pleasure to have you at FGR for matches and your presence of the forum.

Keep up your positive approach to the club - resilience is often required by both players and fans!

Thank you.
It's been a pleasure being here (most of the time!)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
Er, Could one or both clarify what is meant here? Getting on a bit, chaps, so zee leetle grey cells require recharging. :?

Was it following the Cumbrians comment, or are you quitting the Forum NFR?

No, it was nothing to do with The Cumbrians comment.

No, I'm not quitting the forum.

What would all the pessimists do if I wasn't here to cheer them up?!
:D
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 pm

tommyd wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:'Big' is a relative term and compared to all the League 2 clubs, my perception is that Coventry are one of the 'biggest' along with Luton,Notts County and Swindon. They have had commendable success at a high level and pull in huge crowds.

Exactly, it's incorrect in my opinion to put it all down to gates, especially when there's a boycott. History is also a massive part of what make a club big.

I’m with this too. They represent a substantial city, they have an illustrious history, they still have a big following for a team outside the Premiership/Championship and are a sleeping giant. They are also likely to get close to promotion this season and it was a great win by us.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 am

Hi
I do believe that I am correct in stating that no matter how big a club you are there are only 11 people on the pitch during the game, unless you are Coventry playing against FGR at the Ricoh when they did have 12 for a short while. :D :D :D
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 am

:
Greeners wrote:Hi
I do believe that I am correct in stating that no matter how big a club you are there are only 11 people on the pitch during the game, unless you are Coventry playing against FGR at the Ricoh when they did have 12 for a short while. :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 am

Greeners wrote:Hi

True. But I thought the main point related to the size of the crowd not the size of the team.

Also it was a good win against a team well above us in the league.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Head Honcho » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Strange to see Mark Robins complaining that the pitch at TNL was heavy. Given the fact that the Ricoh is ploughed up by Wasps rugby team every other weekend, TNL is 100 times a better surface, Our mowbot would fall down the furrows in the surface of Coventry's pitch, never to be seen again...
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Mark Robins likes to eat sour grapes.............he has learnt a lot from AF. A good choice on the vegan menu at FGR.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to FGR First Team