Coops linked to Barnsley job

All about our First Team

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

Postby Too occasional fan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:07 am

Now, you listen here! He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! Now, go away!
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 am

SkunkMan wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:Looking at the big picture, if survival is achieved, which is by no means guaranteed, then in 2 seasons in charge MC will have taken the club up a division and then kept it up in it's first season. Which is hardly a disastrous effort.

On paper we also now have the best group of players the club has ever had, including a number of good quality, seasoned pros already signed on for next season, which should definitely mean we have a more solid base to build from next year.

So although things aren't by any means perfect and we still face a tough battle to stay up, I also think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic in both the short and medium term. We have a team that looks well equipped for survival and this season's experience will definitely benefit the club, on and off the pitch going forward imo.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, nothing like a good relegation battle to keep things interesting, just like the good old days. ;)

Wise words. Agree 100%. Although I do think that MC is a tad fortunate that he has a Chairman with the funds and faith to back him so strongly in the January window.

I too agree but there is a big if in there. I agree that there is much to look forward to in this dog fight but I also think it is a real struggle. The next couple of games will indicate how much of a struggle.

I agree too with Skunkman that MC is lucky to have DV as a Chiarman. Not only has MC been given the funding to transform the team mid season but many managers would have been given the push after the first 15 or so games of the season.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Dougal » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 am

welshrover wrote:see ya!!!! Scott Lindsey in charge will do for me.

Totally agree...
Dougal
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:48 am

Dougal wrote:
welshrover wrote:see ya!!!! Scott Lindsey in charge will do for me.

Totally agree...

I imagine he would go with MC if it came to that.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Martin Toms » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 am

Not that I think Cooper will go to Barnsley as I think he’s just a name thrown in a betting list that these bookies do, I don’t think there is genuine interest, but if he did I think DV should offer Scott Lindsay the main job and that may tempt him to stay. The opportunity to be a manager in his own right, as snippets I hear and things I see on a match day make me think he is liked and also good with his man management skills.
Martin Toms
Reserves
Reserves

Postby tommyd » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Martin Toms wrote:Not that I think Cooper will go to Barnsley as I think he’s just a name thrown in a betting list that these bookies do, I don’t think there is genuine interest, but if he did I think DV should offer Scott Lindsay the main job and that may tempt him to stay. The opportunity to be a manager in his own right, as snippets I hear and things I see on a match day make me think he is liked and also good with his man management skills.

At the very least he acknowledges the fans...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 pm

i can do a very nice wave as well-so maybe i should be a football manager ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 pm

michael wrote:i can do a very nice wave as well-so maybe i should be a football manager ?

Hehe. I’d prefer a manager who annoys but get results through playing good football than one who waves and smiles but grinds out mediocre football. Let’s see if MC can keep us up and then he can wave as much or as little as he likes.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Tommo wrote:
michael wrote:i can do a very nice wave as well-so maybe i should be a football manager ?

Hehe. I’d prefer a manager who annoys but get results through playing good football than one who waves and smiles but grinds out mediocre football. Let’s see if MC can keep us up and then he can wave as much or as little as he likes.

There is no logic to this argument, why should anyone have to choose between the very simplified options you give. Forget the waves, how about having some respect for players, supporters, referees and the fa.

I have heard all sorts of arguments on this forum justifying his behaviour. Now your saying we either have a manager who gets terrible results but is a good role model or one that gets great results but doesn't care about the fans :roll: I have not seen the results you are talking about. Last season we finished lower in the league but won in the play offs and this season has hardly been one of good looking football.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 am

Tomiswalking wrote:
Tommo wrote:

There is no logic to this argument, why should anyone have to choose between the very simplified options you give. Forget the waves, how about having some respect for players, supporters, referees and the fa.

I have heard all sorts of arguments on this forum justifying his behaviour. Now your saying we either have a manager who gets terrible results but is a good role model or one that gets great results but doesn't care about the fans :roll: I have not seen the results you are talking about. Last season we finished lower in the league but won in the play offs and this season has hardly been one of good looking football.

You are right - it’s not one or the other and my comments were meant to be slightly tongue in cheek. I agree that MC should do a few basic things to recognise the support more; it would cost him nothing.

But I’d rather MC than Pennock.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 am

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit don't you know :lol:
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:43 am

Tommo wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:
Tommo wrote:

You are right - it’s not one or the other and my comments were meant to be slightly tongue in cheek. I agree that MC should do a few basic things to recognise the support more; it would cost him nothing.

But I’d rather MC than Pennock.

You might think something so simple as a 'wave' is petty but if it's that small a gesture it shouldn't be so hard should it? You may be happy to be ignored but I believe the job of a manager is to manage not just the team but the club as a whole and to show appreciation to the people that keep it running. Like any business customer service should be valued. Of course results are most important but I think some people lack the knowledge about football one here and confuse passing at the back when teams let you with good football, good football is what gets you results and the best team will win the league and we're nowhere near the top are we? Besides the result of a football match is judged on the final score not by len and Bruno. In coopers defence though it has improved in patches recently but he's done nothing that some of us on here haven't been calling for for months. He may just about get it right enough in the end to keep us up but I still don't see why so many have their head so far up his bum they can see his tonsils when he wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm

i think you can tell there was no game to dissect yesterday, so no debate over whether mr cooper is overnight hero or zero.

instead-to 'wave' or not to wave-that is the question of the day
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 pm

michael wrote:i think you can tell there was no game to dissect yesterday, so no debate over whether mr cooper is overnight hero or zero.

instead-to 'wave' or not to wave-that is the question of the day

You said wave, I'd like to see a bit more than that but yes, the weekend is definitely boring without a game to talk about!
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 pm

The problem with a forum is that it is built on opinion.

The problem with opinion is that it isn’t necessarily widely held by multiple people but is often assumed to be so.

Just because someone, or even a few people, claim that MC is a terrible manager because of his tactics, man-management or lack of waving; doesn’t necessarily make it true for everyone.

I don’t feel the need for a wave. I’ve spoken to MC a couple of times and he seemed like a decent guy.

I don’t agree with his tactics all of the time, but if he got tactics right all of the time he’d be England manager and winning the World Cup. I like the brand of football that he is building into the club.

I can’t really comment on his man-management as most of the complaints seem to be either conjecture, hearsay, or third-hand from players who aren’t playing.

What I do know is that the last season and a half has been exciting, excruciating, exhilarating, depressing, cruel and life-affirming. Wouldn’t have it any other way. MC is doing a decent job in my book but will undoubtedly get it wrong sometimes.
TreeHugger
Youth
Youth

Postby twoguns » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Russell Slade walks the plank at Grimsby.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm

twoguns wrote:Russell Slade walks the plank at Grimsby.

Pity; I was hoping they would struggle on for a bit - now there is a risk of a honeymoon upturn with whoever comes next.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 am

TreeHugger wrote:The problem with a forum is that it is built on opinion.

The problem with opinion is that it isn’t necessarily widely held by multiple people but is often assumed to be so.

Just because someone, or even a few people, claim that MC is a terrible manager because of his tactics, man-management or lack of waving; doesn’t necessarily make it true for everyone.

I don’t feel the need for a wave. I’ve spoken to MC a couple of times and he seemed like a decent guy.

I don’t agree with his tactics all of the time, but if he got tactics right all of the time he’d be England manager and winning the World Cup. I like the brand of football that he is building into the club.

I can’t really comment on his man-management as most of the complaints seem to be either conjecture, hearsay, or third-hand from players who aren’t playing.

What I do know is that the last season and a half has been exciting, excruciating, exhilarating, depressing, cruel and life-affirming. Wouldn’t have it any other way. MC is doing a decent job in my book but will undoubtedly get it wrong sometimes.

Not sure where this obsession with waving has come from but there we go :roll:
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team