What's On TV?!

For chat about all other topics

What's On TV?!

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:00 pm

I've been meaning to start a thread so we can discuss what we're watching on telly and have finally got around to it while listening to the match. :)
What we've seen, what we're planning to see and what we think.

Warning: Spoiler alert.
Don't read if you haven't yet watched programmes being talked about!

A couple of things stood out for me this week:
I thought Trauma was one of those dramas that you just had to stick with to find out what happened in the end and who was telling the truth. It did get sillier and more far-fetched as time went on but I did enjoy it. The ending was a bit unbelievable though.

I was attracted to Collateral by the all-star cast. A promising first episode but I can't help thinking that it's going to get more involved and political until I get confused and lose track of what's going on! Hope not because it was quite good.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Re: What's On TV?!

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:10 pm

I like watching re-runs of Miss World.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 pm

My level is Ru Paul's Drag Race at present. Totally dumb but strangely enjoyable. Got into Power as well.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 am

appreciating that this is general chat-and not general football chat-so everyone to their own-but i simply hope this 'board' does not lead into posters putting up vidoes of dancing dogs/ their family babies and general rubbish that this 'opportunity' tends to degenerate into on a lot of other forums.
is there thus a danger that soon it will be like facebook where we will be 'enjoying' on here pictures of what supporters are eating for breakfast ?

i'm at odds with the modern would-but forgive me where i really am not interested .

then you have to pick through the posts to see what is football (hopefully fgr ) _ related ) and what is just a poster personal likes that they chose for some reason to share with the world ,where bluntly it is of absolutely no interest/relevance/is instantly forgettable to me what TV programmes a supporter enjoys watching.

i'm just miserable and a bit more private though i guess , so free world -so if that what floats peoples boats-best of luck to them .

some may say-well 'you don't have to read it '-true of a nature-,but may be i stupidly look at most threads in anticipation there will be some sort of relevance to FGR .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:20 pm

For you Michael, suggest the gravitas of the Test Card.

As for me, cannot resist the the subtitled Scandi/Italian & Franco 'noir' thrillers on BBC4, E4 & Sky Atlantic; Spiral, Gomorrah, The Tunnel, Les hommes de l'ombre, The Bridge etc. And with my awful hearing, the subtitles put me on a level playing field with the rest of you!

Static BBC costume dramas that are as wooden as the sets - yuck! May Darcy be poisoned by his make up!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:For you Michael, suggest the gravitas of the Test Card.

thats probably a bit too exciting for me if i'm honest

As for me, cannot resist the the subtitled Scandi/Italian & Franco 'noir' thrillers on BBC4, E4 & Sky Atlantic; Spiral, Gomorrah, The Tunnel, Les hommes de l'ombre, The Bridge etc. And with my awful hearing, the subtitles put me on a level playing field with the rest of you!

Static BBC costume dramas that are as wooden as the sets - yuck! May Darcy be poisoned by his make up!
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote: As for me, cannot resist the the subtitled Scandi/Italian & Franco 'noir' thrillers on BBC4, E4 & Sky Atlantic; Spiral, Gomorrah, The Tunnel, Les hommes de l'ombre, The Bridge etc. And with my awful hearing, the subtitles put me on a level playing field with the rest of you!

Similar C/g11. 2 aids and useless hearing TV, but now I have an infra red neck-loop system that was OK worn around the neck. Then I discovered that by draping the loop over the pieces, the sound was ... SUPERB! ;)

amplicomms TV 210-NL, about £69.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Just looked at the telly listings and spotted a (subtitled) film that may have passed you by.

It's an absolute cracker and should not be missed.

It's on tonight (Sunday) BBC4 at 10pm.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:12 pm

I have similar Fartvs - I can see us having some wonderfully nerdy conversations as we dribble our broth!

Can't beat a misprinted subtitle for laughs though. My recent favourite as trotted out in my book was when I was watching Norwich City v Brighton in the Championship last April. Brighton had just secured promotion and the commentators were eulogising about Anthony Knockaert. As the compliments gushed out, the subtitles acknowledged the value to the team of "The girls he has scored”
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 pm

I loved The Detectorists, with the metal-detectors being a dry humour comedy.... i found it to be superb, and look forward to series 2. Also found the situation comedy of the small village near Cirencester where the group of youngsters inter-act together......This Country, also looking forward to the next series.That is my sense of humour - The Office, Early Doors, Phoenix Nights, etc. Found The League of Gentlemen a bit too far, though.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:

I can't really get on with subtitles. My concentration isn't great and having to watch the screen constantly unable to blink or look away for fear of missing important dialogue is too tiring.

There was a subtitled drama called Deutschland 83 a few years ago and it was so good I watched the whole series. Since then I've only attempted one more. It was quite recent but I've forgotten the name. All I remember is an abandoned coach full of frozen bodies.
My concentration went after half an hour and I switched it off!
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 pm

king giraffe III wrote:My level is Ru Paul's Drag Race at present. Totally dumb but strangely enjoyable. Got into Power as well.

I've never heard of either so I googled them. Is Power on Netflix?

If so, I rarely watch it because I'm always too busy trying to catch up and watch things I've recorded from the TV! Plus I prefer to watch one episode at a time rather than a time consuming complete season.
It looks quite good though.
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 pm

I couldn't resist Troy: Fall of a city last night.

Epic.
Names and characters I vaguely remember learning about in school history lessons finally brought to life.
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 am

For those of us with failing hearing, subtitles help to 'fool the brain'. Even with a hearing loop or other devices that switch the sound direct to my hearing aid, I cannot always make out the spoken word. If subtitles are not shown, I struggle. But when they are, my brain tells me that I am hearing every word - just another example that senses work together not in isolation

I would happily invoke capital punishment for the absurd use of musical background noise which masks speech, or the hopelessly mumbled dialogue in some recent series like SSGB. Why does real life or film demand a musical background except to keep session musicians on the payroll? (Please imagine a drum roll and crash of cymbals to highlight that last sentence, followed by canned laughter)

Homeland came back with a bang last night. Real Life imitating Art again. The female president has so many Trump traits!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:My level is Ru Paul's Drag Race at present. Totally dumb but strangely enjoyable. Got into Power as well.

I've never heard of either so I googled them. Is Power on Netflix?

If so, I rarely watch it because I'm always too busy trying to catch up and watch things I've recorded from the TV! Plus I prefer to watch one episode at a time rather than a time consuming complete season.
It looks quite good though.

Yes, Power is on Netflix. Slow burner to begin with but great once it gets going. Have to say I don't really watch much TV these days (beyond news) that isn't 'on demand' or via subscription services.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Found The League of Gentlemen a bit too far, though.

It's mild compared to Psychoville! :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:56 am

GETCARTER wrote:Found The League of Gentlemen a bit too far, though.

Perhaps you are a naturally slothful person, sluggish and indolent, a dawdling flaneur, content to waste his life spread eagled on pillows forever indulging himself in the pleasures of the palm.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby King George » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Anyone see Marcella last night?
King George
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 pm

TOF, - brilliant, how do you know me so well - my cover has now been blown, cannot attend TNL in disguise, am probably going to drift back to soaps !!!!. Welcome me back to Eastenders - where is Dirty Den and Angie ?, ( - he being a drama graduate of Leyhill Prison ) .
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 am

:D
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to General Chat