Manny and Drissa gone.

All about our First Team

Re: Manny and Drissa gone.

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:59 pm

T50 BOS wrote:And no sign of Whittle either after a couple of brief showings ? Not sure he's the right quality but not seen enough of him to know. Maybe Coops has ??

Given he couldn't get into the team of a NL North club you have to wonder why he was signed.

Has Drissa definitely gone?
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:05 pm

TreeHugger wrote:Drissa to Tranmere.

Didn’t see that one coming.

Blooming heckers like!
That's two FGR Wembley promotion playing players.
Almost guaranteed promotion and I sincerely hope they do.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:13 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:Drissa to Tranmere.

Didn’t see that one coming.

Blooming heckers like!
That's two FGR Wembley promotion playing players.
Almost guaranteed promotion and I sincerely hope they do.

Glad hes not going to France, I am looking forward to seeing him play next season, fantastic player.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Was talking to a friend and he asked how come we didn't get any money for Drissa though. Surely something would have been better than nothing, same with noble?
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby tommyd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Was talking to a friend and he asked how come we didn't get any money for Drissa though. Surely something would have been better than nothing, same with noble?

Seems like more of dales money down the pan thanks to marks poor man management skills.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Good luck Drissa, many good memories.

Tommy how much do you think Tranmere should have paid for him ?

I assume his agent made sure all knew he was available in January? If of course he was available. I don't remember rumours of a queue to buy him and get some of Dale's money back? Same with Keanu.

If we turned down good money offers in January and then let him go to tranmere for nothing then maybe your throw away comment has substance.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 pm

Timb wrote:Good luck Drissa, many good memories.

Tommy how much do you think Tranmere should have paid for him ?

I assume his agent made sure all knew he was available in January? If of course he was available. I don't remember rumours of a queue to buy him and get some of Dale's money back? Same with Keanu.

If we turned down good money offers in January and then let him go to tranmere for nothing then maybe your throw away comment has substance.

If you haven't noticed the pattern by now timb, you never will.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:22 am

Drissa was brilliant last year and it's no surprise Tranmere fans are delighted to have signed him. It's also no surprise he, like Monthe, has moved on given he wasn't even named as a sub when we only named 6. The writing was on the wall.

This season I thought he carried central midfield early on alongside an under par Noble and a young Charlie Cooper. When Ozzy came in Drissa looked more capable and even lasted 90 mins once or twice with the workload shared more evenly. His influence on games still existed this season with Swindon at home being an example where after his substitution Swindon looked a much better side.

As much as people are lauding the new signings (as am I), our up turn in form has coincided with us playing a more direct 442 style. I would have been interested to see how some of the players like Drissa and KMB would have performed in the new set up.

Drissa loved playing for the club and it's sad to see him go. I'm not sure where this story about him wanting to return to France came from, seems a bit distasteful to me if it's been fabricated given the awful circumstances.

Good luck to him and if Tranmere get promoted I wouldn't bet against him coming back to haunt us next year.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am

Drissa, Manny and Keanu were all good National League players, and they all deserve credit for and thanks for what they did for the club. But as we've seen this level is a big step up, you can't afford to stand still in football and all three have been replaced with better players imo. All three were made available in January, but were evidently not wanted by any other league 2 clubs and in Manny and Drissa's case, have subsequently had to drop back down a division.

I wouldn't have Manny in ahead any of our current defence, and for me from what I've seen so far Clements does everything Drissa could do but is a lot more robust and can even score the odd goal. Going forward Grubb and Reid are already looking hugely more effective and are linking up far better with Doidge then KMB, Bugiel, James or Mullings ever did.

The truth is that these players have been pushed down the pecking order, which is what happens in football if you want to improve. It's best for their careers if they move to clubs where they can get regular football, whilst we move onwards and hopefully upwards with what is probably the best set of players we've ever had.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am

Kentstripe, I'd agree in that none of them would make my starting XI, but there is definitely a case for them being on the bench.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:41 am

How many chances do you give them? I thought that Traore would be one of the players that would certainly grace League 2. How wrong I was. Early on everything seemed to be going well but then it seemed to be going downhill steadily. Couldn't last 90 minutes. Often getting tackled in dangerous positions and then pleading he was fouled. Never scored. In the latter games he was a shell of his former self. Had little or no impact on the game and was rightly dropped.
I wanted Manny to succeed. Big, strong, fast. Yet I felt he was an accident waiting to happen. You got nervous when he got the ball. That's it. He lacked some discipline. Getting sent off at Exeter didn't help but then at Chesterfield. Both important games. Manny was given plenty of chances but failed to grasp.
KMB, the enigma. Again, started well but just went downhill. In some of his later appearances he was devoid of any input and was rightly subbed and then dropped.
Finally, what goes on behind the scenes. Were they interested? Reports stating they were not. As others have quite rightly stated. If they were so good why have two of them ended up in the National League and the other appears to be training with the Youth team. That's not me who said that but MC in a video recently.
We move on.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:57 am

I anticipate traore being good enough to start for tranmere in EFL 2 last season.

he also started in EFL2 under MC ,so i think in the right team he is good enough/fit enough for EFL 2 .

that given -as per post above-i think Clements on showing so far, does offer a little bit more.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Hmm I was just thinking, national league or not, wouldn't we expect to get money for him?
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:Hmm I was just thinking, national league or not, wouldn't we expect to get money for him?

Very few players go for transfer fees at lower levels, particularly if they are 24 or older and out of contract in the summer, both of which Drissa is.

And most clubs can't afford to pay transfer fees at this level and below anyway. We are obviously saving money on Drissa's wages, hence why a mutual agreement to cancel his contract and allow him to join Tranmere made sense.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks Kentstripe :)
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Good straight forward talking on this subject in Coops interview and sounds like we are best moving on without him if you take Coops on his word (which I am happy to do).

Good on the club too if we did try to help Drissa in the way described. That would be the second time this season after Noble. Yes, both have then let us down by going against their word, but that shouldn't stop us holding our head up high in how we have acted.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 pm

I think our club has a pretty good record when it comes to supporting players, particularly those unable to play due to long term injury, this isn´t always repaid but most often it is.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Tommo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Good luck Drissa. I feel privileged to have seen him at his best in an FGR player. Last season he was excellent
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Drissa, Manny and Keanu were all good National League players, and they all deserve credit for and thanks for what they did for the club. But as we've seen this level is a big step up, you can't afford to stand still in football and all three have been replaced with better players imo. All three were made available in January, but were evidently not wanted by any other league 2 clubs and in Manny and Drissa's case, have subsequently had to drop back down a division.

Sadly, we haven't had opportunity to see what Drissa could have done in the team since January. I really wouldn't be surprised if he returns to haunt us at some point in the future.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Transcend rivalry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:05 am

Talk on the grapevine is that we'll be re-naming ourselves Tranmere Green Rovers! The belief is we'll be guaranteed a Wembley win second time around! There's also talk of some meat-free options to be made available to delight our palates! We might be looking to purchase some Llamas who're also surplus to requirements.
Genuinely pleased to see you inching away from the relegation zone and hope you keep "living the dream"!
Talking of dreams, I hope Monthe and Traore give us the opportunity to give you nightmares next season!
Transcend rivalry
Trainee
Trainee

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team