All about our First Team

David Pipe

Postby SNJ Ash » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: David Pipe

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:59 pm

SNJ Ash wrote:http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/sport/16065178.David_Pipe_determined_to_get_the_better_of_old_friends_at_Forest_Green_Rovers/

All good banter and why shouldn't Pipey brag up his own team. He remains a FGR favourite whatever club he plays for except for those 90 minutes he is on pitch lining up against FGR.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:He remains a FGR favourite whatever club he plays for except for those 90 minutes he is on pitch lining up against FGR.

Does he? That's a strong claim ... someone who always gave 100%, yes, but a favourite?
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 pm

Yes he did always give his all, but was often found out for pace. Not one of my favourites, always a bit of a liability. But fair play where it’s due, has resurrected his career amazingly well, seems quicker than he did 4 yrs ago.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re f***in dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby welshrover » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:31 pm

we need to attack Pipe with every opportunity tonight, surprised Wishart wasn't starting, ideal opportunity for him.
welshrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:51 am

At end of game Pipey came over to the FGR away supporters and gave us all a round of applause.
Very nice fella and my admiration for him as a person has gone up even higher than before.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:48 am

Cafu he might not be, but he always gives 100% for his employer which you have to respect
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:26 pm

DP did all right even under pressure from Whizz in the second half. Good player and great reactions and pace over short distance.

Nice gesture after to come over.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:35 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:Yes he did always give his all, but was often found out for pace. Not one of my favourites, always a bit of a liability. But fair play where it’s due, has resurrected his career amazingly well, seems quicker than he did 4 yrs ago.

I must confess, when Pipey was released by FGR back at the end of the 2015/16 season I would NOT have predicted that he would be playing League 2 football almost two years later. Certainly when he was asked to play in central midfield back then, although the passion was still clearly there it certainly didn't look like the legs were. He was a likable, buccaneering sort of character and I admired his commitment and aggression at Right Back, but for me, he lacked the all round game of Dale Bennett.

Good on him. You are a long time retired and it seems he is working hard to prolong his career as far as possible. And a nice touch to come over and wave to the FGR fans last night.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:01 pm

He was definitely one of my favourites, he wasn't the best footballer but he made up for it in his commitment and effort.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Agree that i was surprised that he got back into a League 2 team as his legs did look like they were gone towards the end, however, he gave 100% every time and conducted himself brilliantly on and off the pitch, calming down situations, getting the team motivated, as a sub he would be running up and down the touchline willing the team on and in interviews he always said the correct thing even when AP hadn't picked him for a while and he clearly wasn't happy about it.Top man.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Seat C32 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:32 pm

I agree entirely with your comments above ref. David Pipe except for the remarks about his legs looking as if they had gone. His arms are bigger than my legs and his legs look larger than my waist, Not gone just getting bigger.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Dave Pipe - top man in my opinion, always willing to give our kids an autograph after the match, always had time for us - model footballer, very pleasant to the paying public, glad to see him getting his just rewards over the river this season - he is welcome back to TNL anytime.Many thanks.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Return to FGR First Team