Match thread from Rodney Parade (Newport County)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Rodney Parade (Newport County)

Postby FootieMan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:33 pm

In the simplest of terms it was one point earned away at a club above us in the League. It improved our overall position in the table so well done and move on to Saturday.

Last night I was working covering the FA Trophy Qtr Final replay between Brackley Town and Stockport County. I thought watching it how much BTFC were like FGR several years back and what had happened to SCFC in those same years.

Football can be so demoralising if you take your eye off he ball. The FA will not have two big fan based clubs in the Final this year.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for giving a link to the highlights

Our first goal would have been shown many a time as a 'team goal' had the final touch been by a FGR player. A sweeping, passing move

I don't remember Newport being so one dimensional at TNL, yet the hoofs and long throws should not have been so effective. Then again, I sympathise with defenders when every bounce is so ridiculously high.

As someone pointed out, Brad Collins was cynically taken out before the 3rd goal went in. Poor work by those 4 officials. Brad looked to have had a fine game

At Morecambe, we looked great on the ball and going forward, but at sea when the punts out of defence were made, or from deep crosses to the left side of our defence. I think we have the quality to sort this out - an organisational thing suggesting that club captain Lee Collins should be starting again?

Valuable point though - well done guys
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Dayle Grubb was the one who attracted my attention last night. The way he can change direction in an instant, fend of markers and break forward in a burst of speed, his crossing, tackling and marvellous rapid acclimatisation to EFL. I believe he will become a great player, once he has attenuated his over eagerness to get on the score-sheet.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Well done to everyone concerned - a point gained - could so easily have been a defeat. Just have to say that our commentary did not come through until half-time, the first time that we have had difficulty this season.Bring on Notts County !!!.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Well done to everyone concerned - a point gained - could so easily have been a defeat. Just have to say that our commentary did not come through until half-time, the first time that we have had difficulty this season.Bring on Notts County !!!.

Agreed. We are almost at a point where a point per game will be (should be) enough and getting one away at Newport is a very good result. Some tough games coming up but we are now robust enough to pick up a point per game from them
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Agreed Tommo.

But I expect more than a point per game. One point away three at home...

Notts County dont have a great away record. We gave them a very good game at their place, and would have won if Omar had scored from 3 yards out, and we are ok at home :ugeek:

I reckon we did very well last night against an aerial bombardment team and I saw what I wanted to see which was a team playing for each other and very much a competitive FL2 outfit.

I dont agree with the comment about our defence not being ok last night, we did well. Newport's first goal was simply a very good goal. They won't score many like that. The second was a good strikers reaction goal and the third, well maybe that wasn't so good.

We had plenty of chances. So did they. We scored 3 away goals.

All in all a good night and plenty to build on for the run in.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 am

The Newport time wasting was embarrassing and in the end disrupted their own play as much as ours. Hilarious to see even the ball boys in on the act. It was a bad miscalculation by their management and could have costed them all three. The referee was useless, just kept looking away.

That aside, a point gained under the circumstances was an excellent result. I’m sure the pre-Xmas team would have lost. It was a tough test for the defence and it showed especially in the first half. I thought they coped much better in he second. I presume Gunning was told in no uncertain terms needlessly pushing an opponent just outside the penalty area is not a good idea.

Collins’s save with his outstretched foot was outstanding and his clever kickout from goal led to the equaliser.

The players looked comfortable on the ball and enjoyed the majority of possession towards the closing stages. My criticism is that they failed to release the ball with the result that many of our moves just fizzled out. The equaliser was a textbook example of fast moving effective football.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bronco » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:09 pm

What happened with Newport's first goal, was it deflected? Commentary on the highlights making out its the best strike ever but seems to be hardly travelling when it goes in
Bronco
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:36 pm

OTC with his new best mate King Giraffe III
Newport 6th March 2018
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norman31 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Image

Newport 6th March 2018

I’ve heard kg111s really not that bad away from the keyboard!!!
Norman31
Youth
Youth

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:25 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Image

Newport 6th March 2018

The healing power of a score draw at Newport. We should have invited Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:44 pm

"OTC with his new best mate King Giraffe III
Newport 6th March 2018"

The healing power of a score draw at Newport. We should have invited Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un.

Love it!! :lol:
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:33 am

Today's equation; OTC + KG111 = Chuckle bros.
Candidate for picture if the season for me.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 am

Rumour is that it’s not the real KGIII
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:05 am

John Lennon sang,

“ I read the news today, oh boy!”

Yes John, it’s even more staggering than 10,000 potholes in rural, Gloucestershire!

Old Tom Cat and King Giraffe 111 are to meet in person as early as May, it has been announced, an extraordinary overture after months of mutual hostility. There was a ‘planned meeting’ in Newport, Wales but it has now been confirmed an imposter was imitating the infamous LG111. Photographic evidence was released two days ago.

News of the proposed meeting was delivered by FGR officials after talks with Mr Giraffe at Ecotricity Headquarters.

They passed a verbal message from Mr Giraffe, saying the Cheltenham based supporter was "committed to a peace accord".

Tom Cat was heard to purr loudly under his whiskers. He meowed the news "came like a miracle".

If the Giraffe and Cat do meet following a successful end to the FGR season, then the world’s media will surely have photo opportunities that will merit follow up books from both Chrisgump and Stroud Green.

Perhaps the exiled leader Liam Noble will be in the land of FGR to comment tomorrow?
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 am

Goodness me Pitchfork, you must have been up all night composing that copy. I imagine it will go viral.
Time now to get some sleep, young Phil.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby roy of the rovers » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm

great post phil. would be like 2 punch drunk heavyweights in the last round of a title fight...........awesome!
roy of the rovers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:35 pm

I was on the coach with other Forum members, but couldn't search out "jokerman". Would like a similar picture at an away game, showing the genuine, elusive shakespearian reporter of the 'Kendo Express', unless that was he with TOTC. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:43 pm

You’ll never get past jokerman’s security, FA
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:33 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:I was on the coach with other Forum members, but couldn't search out "jokerman". Would like a similar picture at an away game, showing the genuine, elusive shakespearian reporter of the 'Kendo Express', unless that was he with TOTC. ;)

Which coach were you on?
Nearly everybody on Kendo Express knows Jokerman.

BTW what does your forum name mean in English?
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team