POETRY CORNER ~ it's back ...

For chat about all other topics

POETRY CORNER ~ it's back ...

Postby Football Poets » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks to Pete, Farmcotian, Pitchfork Chris, Voodoobluesman et al ...who kicked it all off,,, Poetry Corner is back (hopefully?) .
Check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53321&p=1131572&hilit=poetry#p1131572

Well it is for me anyway.
Therefore love it or loathe it, I will be penning loads of odes as I hope more of you will too.
And what's more remember ...In one of many Bee Gees Tips (get it?) "It's only words"

We're hoping to entice more of you to contribute with thoughts.Hopefully including the likes of Dale, Helen, Dane, Paula, Ash, Bob Hunt, Doidgey and Dale Bennet on why he became vegan. Hopefully my good mates Elvis McGonagal and radical history bod Stuart Butler too.
Check out the section ...we've been silent since May 25..did something happen around then? Is this a special season?

Can't sleep-.bored at home.
Grab a pen and try a poem
Play with words and take some time
Poetry doesn't have to rhyme

But hang on ...why poetry though?
William Wordsworth said "Poetry is writing with passion about something you feel passionate about". Point made.End of.

How are you feeling? Are you nervous are you chilled? Will the new pasties replace pies? Will Girish's Indian food be too hot to handle ?
Will Barnet fans get soaked? Will Mark Cooper turn round and glare at East Stand moaners? Things we need to explore?

Poetry Corner ...a place to make some noise digitally.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53321&p=1131572&hilit=poetry#p1131572
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Re: POETRY CORNER ~ it's back ...

Postby camel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:18 pm

I'll give it a go. I've never written poetry other than in year 10 when we had to do our own version of "can I be your vacuum cleaner".

Is there a handy "5minute guide to poetry for idiots" anywhere....I think I'll need it. But it's giving it a try that counts right.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Football Poets » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi guys. Have been largely out of action due to a nasty prologed family illness, and my wife Jennie is not out of the woods yet. No sympathy courted or required. But the small drum and I will be back for Saturday, so God help you if you are standing next to me! Eg: "Oi mate, do you have to bang that flipping thing?"( S.Stand Stranger v Macclesfield) Very excited then for a first massive match and Q Pie since Port Vale and Cambridge at home. Anyway it's also been very quiet in Poetry Corner (?) so here's a new one with some questionable rhymes for those non Welsh fans/players who are slightly allergic to Dragons of the Green kind:

Why Can't We Be The Llamas?

the Vegan pies entice us in
surrounding views they charm us
our nickname’s The Green Devils.
why can’t we be The Llamas?

we’re in the middle of nowhere
we’re miles from the Bahamas
when balls are pumped into our box
they don’t exactly calm us
we flirt with struggle constantly
we’re always courting dramas
our long gone shirts in black and white
resembled old pyjamas

our badger mascot loved the club
he came here from Las Palmas*
he never burrowed anywhere
and always waved to farmers
but now we’re into everything
we’re working out our karmas
alternative - you name it
there ‘s nothing here to harm us

away fans breathe the open air
in freezing panoramas
with ev’ry match a knife edge
abound with melodramas
but still we're just a village team
our drums are ours not Ghana's
and when the big sides turn up here
they always still alarm us

the media they swarm around
for titbits like piranhas
and everything’s organic here
the pitch and the bananas
samosas come around on trays
there's sometimes Chai and Chanas
and no-one could have foreseen this
not even Nostradamus

the vegan pies entice us in
surrounding views they charm us
our nickname’s The Green Devils.....
why can’t we be The Llamas? [/i]"

*(Allegedly..or perhaps wanted to live there ?(Poets free license,)

Also click here : http://footballpoets.org/poems/why-cant ... est-green/

Editor Note: Our much-missed Llama Lads of Nailsworth (recently renamed the Cotswold Llama Lads with their very own new Facebook page ) no longer graze in the field by the tiny roundabout of course. Up until this season on every other week, they'd welcome home and away fans with inquisitive piercing shrieks of "Oi! Got any carrots or apples mate?" in their quaint but familiar Llamanese/Cotswold dialects . With bigger gates and games though, the field now doubles up on dry days for overflow parking.

Spokesllama 'Pete' (brother of 'Eric' and 'Wiggy' ) was keen however to reassure fans the move to pastures new was not influenced by parking or noisy "Green/Black & White Army" chants. Nor were they offended that the club, for some inexplicable reason had a green dragon as a mascot, replacing long-time favourite Bradley The Badger.

Like their own special diets , they loved the vegan food and the odd left overs of a Q(uorn) Pie, often from an overfull homebound fan, went down nicely too.

"The lads are always looking for a more 'level playing field' (it did slope a bit ) and we're eager to find new opportunities to develop our natural 'poaching' and spitting skills" he explained.

"We've been training with an old green bucket a lot lately and it's totally tightened us up in the mid-field" he added.

Situated high among the hills above Nailsworth, in leafy Gloucestershire, thanks to Dale Vince of Ecotricity , the club is now so green, ethical and sustainable you couldn't make it up. It's very Soy Of The Rovers.

We don't know just how lucky we are really. Many here have seen the club through endless years in lower strangely-named leagues, (who couldn't but love the wonderful old Beaver Homes League.) They now mingle freely in these higher League 2 echelons with the ever-growing vegan/hipster/new age family fan-base. Beards, top knots and green pony tails are still not compulsory though. A strong and vocal section will always long to celebrate, embrace and preserve our past. We'd love blue plaques on the remaining white breeze block wall of the old ground The Lawn, with it's history and the long gone Jovial Forester the original changing hut pub home, now a private residence.

They deeply miss our black and white old strip and our old badge even though it was a total rip off from Barcelona's crest! The royalist tinged lion and the unicorn on the current badge have been questioned too !? But we're on an amazing roller coaster this season and with just 11 huge games to go, desperately striving to stay in the League ( Two) ...after taking well over a century to get here.

Having seen Spytty the Dog mascot at Newport recently , if we can't be 'The Llamas' in honour of our lanky furry friends with their vegan diets, how about just 'The Rovers' with a Rover dog as mascot ? Just saying. Bless!
Last edited by Football Poets on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi Crispin.

We've missed your poems and your drum!

Welcome back and loads of positive vibes to the Missus.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat