Ecotricity

For chat about all other topics

Ecotricity

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:44 am

A Cheltenham Town FC supporter who works at Ecotricity was told that he would be included in the latest batch of redundancies.
The guy is a regular poster on the Robin’s Nest and received massive support and best wishes for his future job prospects. I would also like to offer him my best wishes and good luck.

Reading another forum about FGR is fascinating and one can sometimes learn more from it than from our own publicity machine. They have raised a number of legitimate issues that could and should be addressed by FGR MediaWill such as:
http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... =2&t=25142

1. Is Ecotricity bailing out the football club?
2. “ their recent signings are going to be very worried about their own decision processes, especially if payment of wages becomes a problem. I can’t see how FGR’s owner can justify funding player recruitment when the Ecotricity staff are being made redundant.”
3. “taken a peep on FGR Forum, nothing appearing on there yet, but hardly surprising, given there is less freedom of expression in Nailsworth than there is in North Korea.” & “It won’t be allowed on that forum. The moderators are instructed to remove any critical posts or bad news stories.
I would argue it is wilful mismanagement by Ecotricity directors who have made decisions knowing they would be damaging to business and put jobs at risk.”
Here I do have a small measure of sympathy to point 3. Some years ago a FGR employee resigned under a dark cloud and I copied and pasted a newspaper cutting, a newspaper cutting, and it was immediately removed by a moderator.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Ecotricity

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:34 am

If it's SiRobin that you're talking about, it looks like he was given his notice of redundancy by another company rather than Ecotricity and it was his sister that was made redundant last year from Ecotricity.

Not that that lessens the effect of redundancy, it's a horrible thing and becoming very common at the moment. I don't know how all of these reports of company and shop closures marry up with the "news" about low unemployment. I hope that he finds something as soon as possible.

Having been made redundant in the past, I can now look back on it as a positive, as it made me change the way I work, but I fear that I am in the minority.

Ecotricity appears to be suffering from what happens when companies expand very quickly, and when the economy is in trouble, they have to contract just as quickly.

I don't feel that the current Government is particularly keen on renewables, and want to expand nuclear options. Adding to the negative effects of Brexit which could affect its overseas contracts, I am concerned for Ecotricity.

This is another reason why we should retain ownership of our ground. If and it's a big if anything does happen to Ecotricity, I hope that the club wouldn't be pulled down with them.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:50 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:This is another reason why we should retain ownership of our ground. If and it's a big if anything does happen to Ecotricity, I hope that the club wouldn't be pulled down with them.

Completely agree, this is absolutely crucial imo. The vast majority of clubs who have gone under have done so after losing ownership/control of their ground. A ground is usually a clubs only real assett, lose that and you're in a very vulnerable position. If the club are set to in effect become tenants at the new stadium, then I can't say I'd be particularly comfortable with that.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:49 pm

The obsession with FGR over on that forum is bizarre, creepy even.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 pm

cookiemonster wrote:The obsession with FGR over on that forum is bizarre, creepy even.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa is a bit obsessed and melodramatic, to be fair. The irony is he's an Ecotricity customer which I can't get my head around.

Totally agree that FGR must retain ownership of the ground, relocation or (hopefully) no relocation.

Like VBM I'm also a bit concerned for Ecotricity. What I struggle with is how they've been so successful given how expensive they are, though I guess they're picking up the monied middle classes who want to be more eco friendly. Even so, that's an awful lot of money to disappear down a black hole.

So how long is this thread going to last for?
king giraffe III

Postby FGRWill » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Don't libel anybody or personally attack someone and it'll stay here till the end of time.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:10 pm

According to Dale, Ecotricity made a loss in 2017 for various reasons, but are on schedule to make a 1 million pound profit in 2018.
No worries then - I assume.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby King George » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:50 am

Was always going to end in tears
King George
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm

What was?
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Peeling onions.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:44 pm

for fears started with it.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:25 pm

wearing clothes until they are too thin.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Well scripted page, complete with colour photographs in the Civil Service Members Association magazine Boundless, re swapping to Ecotricity energy supply + receive a hamper of Divine Chocolates worth £40 if you do. FGR in part of the page.

I rate D/V's P/R team. Should be no redundancies in that particular department I think.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRWill » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks for that!
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:05 am

Came across the following post on a Carl Winchester thread on Cheltenham Town's forum.
Written up by a FGR-hating numbskull but nevertheless its worth knowing what rumours are being fed by and to our rival fans:

"Shame we didn’t have Winchester on a longer contract, but that may have been his own choice. He may have sold his soul to the devil going to FGR, and it could backfire on him, especially if FGR go bust, as is rumoured.

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... =2&t=25231

I've not heard those rumours. Perhaps they sit alone in the numbskull's mind.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Something I really cannot understand is the obsession with the forum of another football club...does anyone seriously care about what their fans post about us, our club or players?

However if you have run out of paint to watch drying, are an incurable insomniac or are bored witless...
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby FGRWill » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:57 pm

That’s one rumour I’m happy to put to bed. Fake news.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:43 pm

It’s important to remember that redundancies aren’t always a symptom of a company in crisis. They’re often a way of restructuring and refocusing. Not a fan of this approach personally, but it happens a lot.
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Return to General Chat