Ambassador Match Reports

For Information about the Ambassador's program.

Ambassador Match Reports

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:26 am

I have received several positive comments about Ambassador match reports, so will endeavour to put them here each week.

Match Report by George French – Ambassador at Bisley Blue Coat school
FGR – Port Vale

8th September 2018

I was excited to be watching FGR play football after training with my football team Minchinhampton Rangers in the morning. I was tired but was hoping that the FGR players had more energy than me.

We arrived at the New Lawn and I sat at my seat ready to watch the match, along with my dad, mum and sister Alice, who is also an Ambassador. My dad and I were trying to get to see Mark Coopers daps, we have a competition each week to see which ones he has selected for the day. His daps were black and had gold or silver at the bottom and they were really cool. My dad said that he wouldn’t be buying me a pair for my birthday as they looked a bit out of his price range.

The players came out in their spare kit, my mum said that when she was at school if she had brought the wrong kit she would have had to do PE in her vest and pants. Luckily FGR have got a new kit coming soon.

The game started with a couple of chances but it was Forest Green who scored first, Winchester heading in from a free kick. It was awesome, the crowd shouted and cheered, I love the feeling when you jump up and are allowed to scream as loud as you like.

Then at 17 minutes into the game the ball got kicked into the crowd, a man behind us tried to punch the ball away and it ended up smashing into my mums face and knocked her glasses off into the lap of the man sitting next to her. You can’t say she didn’t keep her eye on the ball!

There was a penalty for Port Vale and the amazing giant Sanchez couldn’t save it so we then were at 1-1. Rawson was a bit naughty and got sent off to cool down, or sit on the naughty chair in the changing rooms which was a shame.

I think a draw was an ok result as we have not lost a league game this season
Next week I am going to Milton Keynes on the coach which should be great, this is my second season as an ambassador and I love supporting Forest Green Rovers. I wonder what daps Mark Cooper will wear on Saturday.

Match Report By Fearne Anderton, BLUECOAT, Wotton-under-Edge

8-9-18
FGR 1 - 1 Port Vale
Before the match we bought a new FGR scarf for my mum, and we had picked up our tickets for the away game next week at MK Dons. It will be my first away game.

It was cold and windy as we waited for kick off. We looked the results for both teams . Port Vale were in 19th position in the table. They have lost all three of their away games and only scored one goal. FGR were 7th in the table and have only lost one of their home games so far this season (but we still haven’t won one yet).

So the game kicked off and in the 14th minute FGR got a free kick right in front of where I was sitting. It was taken by Joseph Mills and headed into the net by Carl Winchester – 1-0 to FGR. Soon after FGR fired two shots over the bar. Then in the 37th minute FGR made a run but the shot by Joseph Mills was weak and the goalkeeper easily saved it.

Port Vale started pushing FGR’s defence and were getting a lot more chances. They only just held onto their 1-0 lead into the second half .

Port Vale started the second half very strong with two corners and lots of shots on goal in the first five minutes. In the 71st minute an FGR player pulled back a Port Vale player and Port Vale got a penalty. Port Vale scored so the score was 1-1. Five minutes later Rawson got a red card, and FGR nearly scored in the 92nd minute.

My man of the match would have been Sanchez because he kept FGR in the match by saving lots of shots and doing good clearances.

I enjoyed the match because it was quite exciting. It’s a shame we didn’t win but I really enjoyed my Samosa at half time!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Ambassador Match Reports

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:03 am

I had never really taken any interest in manager's daps but following Master George French's report I will start to make note of what he is wearing.

Thanks Phil for sharing these reports which I will admit offer a different insight from the regular posters or reporters.
BTW: Well done George & Fearne - good on you.

Looking forward to away reports from MK Dons.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:46 pm

Good to read such refreshing and articulate reports.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Good to read such refreshing and articulate reports.

Agreed. I'm glad too that some of the ambassadors are making it to away games as indicated here.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Match Report against Crawley Town
Jonnie Gibson, FGR Ambassador at Kingshill School, Cirencester

At the game against Crawley, I started off by selling match day programmes at the front gate. It was a great opportunity and a great way to meet and speak to the Crawley fans who had left at 9 o’clock that morning. It was really good to have another view on the game and could interact with many new people. We sold over 100 programmes at the front gate alone which felt terrific to be able to help the club at the same time. It was inspiring to see how Forest Green was growing as there was a man and his son from America who came especially for the game as the son follows them from America. I was so pleased to know that the word of the Rovers was spreading.
The game started with a very much Crawley dominant first 15 minutes, where, apart from a low early driven shot by Joseph Mills, Forest Green hardly had a sniff at goal. Towards the end of the first half, the game looked fairly even. Mark Cooper would have to have a word with the boys if they wanted to walk away with the 3 points they deserved. After the whistle to signal the second half was played, it all went downhill from there for Crawley. Forest Green looked dangerous right from the whistle and, with a few early shots, it looked like it was Forest Green’s game. In the 70th minute Reuben Reid broke away and scored yet another goal in green. The ball was deflected up and over the keeper to send FGR 1-0 up. In the last 10 minutes McNerney, Crawley No.5, couldn’t control his frustration and lashed out at Reece brown to receive a yellow. After another reckless challenge, he received red card and that sent Rovers into a play off position.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 am

Match Report v CRAWLEY from RALPH KERRY at Avening School

It was a cold, dark and rainy Saturday at the New Lawn. This was the game we were hoping to win at home. FGR are wearing their new kit that arrived in the week. So far the 3rd kit has been quite lucky so we wondered what would happen today. The ref blew his whistle. The rain was pouring down but FGR were still able to pass the ball around. It was a good first half of football but there were no goals. FGR did have some good chances and so did Crawley.
Second half and FGR really came out fighting and looked the better team. Still no goals so we were beginning to think this would be another home draw. In the 70th minute Reid managed to score a goal for FGR and everyone went wild. Could FGR score another or make sure Crawley didn't? It was nail biting on 2 occasions and my mum couldn't watch.
The 4th official held up the board to show 5 minutes of added time. In the 90 + 3rd minute 1 of Crawley's men got another yellow and was then shown the red card.
The ref blew his whistle and everyone cheered. We did it we won at home.
There are five teams left unbeaten in the top four divisions.
Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Portsmouth and....Forest Green Rovers.
Didn't we do well. Currently FGR are 7th in the league.
Attendance = 2,089 including 147 from Crawley.
Man of the match = Brown
My Man of the match = Brown
#uptherovers
#myteam
#gogreen
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:04 pm

That should please Kg lll. The youngsters got the paragraphs managed there, once you have sorted them without a press of the return key. :)

Keep it going Ambassadors and watch out Ashley. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 pm

My name is Leo Badham, I am 9 years old and I go to Haresfield School and live in Gloucester. I am also a player in the FGR Academy U10s so FGR is a big part of my life and I want to try and make it a big part of other people’s lives too

This Saturday the Rovers played Crawley and that was a special day for me because after that I got to write my first match report. It was extra exciting because I got to be a ball boy too and half way through the first half, these men who were Crawley Fans who had thrown a pretend pig near me and started singing for me for me to throw it back but I just carried on and enjoyed the match. It was very wet and I was freezing!

In the end FGR won 1-0 with Rueben Reid dinking it in the top corner. I think FGR played well overall but they were a bit asleep in the first 30 mins but woke up after. We also had lots of chances in the box that we just couldn’t get in and luckily for Crawley their keeper just cleared the ball off his line. Mills had a really good shot that hit the bar really far out. Wow!

Thanks Image
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Pitchfork wrote:My name is Leo Badham, I am 9 years old and I go to Haresfield School and live in Gloucester.
This Saturday the Rovers played Crawley and that was a special day for me because after that I got to write my first match report. It was extra exciting because I got to be a ball boy too and half way through the first half, these men who were Crawley Fans who had thrown a pretend pig near me and started singing for me for me to throw it back but I just carried on and enjoyed the match. It was very wet and I was freezing!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 am

Very refreshing to read such alternative reports. Until now I hadn't appreciated how standardised main stream reporting had become. It's good to read reports which combine the bare facts with some passion and energy.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:03 am

Silver Surfer wrote:Very refreshing to read such alternative reports. Until now I hadn't appreciated how standardised main stream reporting had become. It's good to read reports which combine the bare facts with some passion and energy.

Thanks for your comments SS, OTC and Tommo. The ambassadors are disappointed when their reports don't appear in the programme, but I tell them when I post their writing online, far more fans see and read them.

Speaking as a teacher, it's so important kids learn to write with the audience in mind and they think what it is that will interest the reader. Every report has these little snippets away from the match that make us smile.

I'm pleased to report Evie Urquhart has taken over from Elsie Heslop reporting on FGR for the Nailsworth news. Other ambassadors are publicising our club in their school newsletters and village magazines.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:06 pm

I love reading these reports.

Keep i up kids :D
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:37 pm

So do I, they are entertaining and amusing, keep them coming.
John Whiffen
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby chopsy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:50 pm

These are excellent. There could already be enough content for a best of feature in one program
chopsy
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:22 pm

FGR VS CRAWLEY TOWN

by our second ambassador at Avening - Olivia Constable

22nd of September 2018

On this miserable Saturday afternoon the fans walked into the stadium excited with a smile on their faces. Although wet and rainy the players walked onto the pitch with their heads held high. The fans looked at the players, something was different?? They had their new green kit on.

The Commentator called out all the players names and then as usual he
shouted COME ON YOU ROVERS.

The game started with some great passing from Forest green but Crawley Town had very good defenders. Our new FGR signing, TahvonCampbell, was clearly keen to make a good start he won the ball back from Crawley and set up Joseph Mills but with the goalkeepers save we didn’t get a goal this time. Robert Sanchez, our goalie, was getting very wet but at the 8th minute he got his first piece of action. Getting down low Sanchez saved Olly Palmers quick effort to score a goal for Crawley. Half an hour in Reid put in a lovely bit of effort into a lob that just went over the crossbar.

2ND HALF
Wearing the captain’s armband with pride Reece Brown was being the boss in midfield.

Campbell made a great effort just before the hour struck.

At 70 minutes Ruben Reid banged the ball into the goal it deflected the goalkeeper but it carried on and went in. As soon as the ball hit the net the FGR fans jumped up and roared with delight. They had one last chance in the 82nd minute but they didn’t get it, it didn’t matter though a least they were winning 1 nil.

One of Crawley's players had one yellow card earlier on and then had another he was sent off. 5 minutes were added on to the game but there was no goal. When the game ended the FGR fans stood up and roared they had won it was their first home game win this season.

#firsthomematchwin
#greatgameguys
#wearefgr
Full time score 1-0 to FGR
Attendance 2,089
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm just loving these reports! Please keep them coming. Composing them from scratch must teach these youngsters so much.

I couldn't care less whether there is proof-reading by parents, teachers or Pitchfork - they are all just gems!
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 pm

Yeah, agree, well done
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:36 pm

How refreshing to read these unbiased and true reports from our young ambassadors - i find them truly entertaining - look forward to reading the future ones.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks a lot for the encouraging comments - it means a lot to our young ambassador writers

Here is the latest report, again it is recommended reading as it is from the perspective of a very dedicated ambassador fan.

Match report, Evie Urquhart FGR vs Newport County, 6/10/18

My name is Evie Urquhart, and I’m the ambassador for Rednock School, this is my fourth year and I’m now in Yr9. Being an ambassador is so much fun and I wouldn’t have been able to do as many things as I have without this opportunity such as taking over Elsie’s role in writing in the Nailsworth News. Writing every month gives me a good idea of what’s required to be a sports journalist, and I enjoy it very much.

I also got nominated by Phil Butterworth for the Pride of the Cotswold awards in the Spirit of Youth category, for all my great achievements and commitments to FGR. I was runner up in the finals and I was really very proud. I have also completed my ambassador notice board in the girls changing rooms, and display posters around the school. In my library at school (LRC) I put the green Devils out for people to read. So far this season I have already completed many things on match days and have been extremely busy. On with the report:

It was a very wet, cold and gusty Saturday at the New Lawn. Mark Cooper’s unbeaten Forest Green Rovers started in fifth and Mike Flynn’s Newport County in third, it was going to be a great derby. As I sat behind a very excited Alderman Knight school I had a great view of the action.

The game started with a dominating FGR, with a powerful strike from Carl Winchester hitting the post and missing the net by inches. However, soon after Dayle Grubb’s cross did find the back of the net, although it had a little help from Scott Bennett of Newport! Newport’s top scorer of last season scored his second goal in 12 games to level it 1-1. A few minutes before the break, Reid had a good opportunity to put FGR once again in the lead, unfortunately Reid’s belter of a shot hit the cross bar. Both sides came out for the second half looking for a win. FGR were the first to have a go at a goal, but Shephard’s follow up from Grubb was blocked. Both teams evenly fought until Reuben Reid’s hand ball (or ball to hand as we saw it) in the box earned Newport a penalty. Luckily for us the ball went flying over the stand all the way to the 5 valleys, I think that was the biggest cheer of the game.

Despite both teams efforts the final score remained 1-1. FGR are still the only unbeaten team in the football leagues alongside the big guns Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea of the Premier.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:51 am

Good report Evie, many thanks for it and everything else you do for club. :P
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to Ambassadors Forum