Ambassador Match Reports

For Information about the Ambassador's program.

Re: Ambassador Match Reports

Postby paulK » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Nice to read these reports. Keep them coming. Well done :D
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:42 pm

I agree. Nice little reports. McGinley got out of jail on this one though :)
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:20 am

Forest Green Rovers vs. MK Dons

By Sebastian Morris, our ambassador at DEER PARK SCHOOL

30th March 2019

The Green Devils hosted Buckinghamshire side MK Dons in an afternoon fixture on 30th March 2019.It was a sunny afternoon, perfect for a top of the table clash, as three points would be crucial for both sides.

The players came out with a huge roar from all the supporters, excited to see two of the top sides in League Two.Just before the match started, there was a minute’s applause for the sad passing of FGR’s previous chairman, Trever Horsley.

The match had a slow start, Forest Green maintaining possession and passing the ball about, but still yet to find a real attacking chance. With neither keeper having much action in the first half an hour, it was beginning to look like a goalless half.It was a game of cat and mouse, FGR had the ball, playing it safe, and MK Dons chasing it, keeping it out of the key attacking areas of their half.
But shortly after the 35-minute mark, came the first goal of the game. It was a silly mistake from the back, as Gavin Gunning lost the ball carelessly to David Wheeler who quickly gave it to Keirin Agard who got the ball past the keeper and into the bottom left corner.

This meant Forest Green had just over fifty minutes of the game to recover the position.
Right at the end of the first half, centre back Farrend Rawson committed a bad foul, and received a yellow card, meaning he would have to tread carefully for the rest of this game.

Half time came with the score FGR 0, MK Dons 1. Mark Cooper’s side needed a goal to revive this game, and they would only have 45 minutes to do it.As the players came back onto the pitch, they knew the FGR fans believed they could do it, and so the 2nd half began.

It certainly wasn’t a dull match but not an action-packed match. In the early stages of the second half Forest Green had a few counter attacking opportunities but were hardly worrying the MK Dons keeper.

However, the game wasn’t over yet, with still over half an hour to come back and in the 63rd minute, that became more than a possibility when Liam Shephard whipped a top-class cross to George Williams, whose header guided the ball into the net. The keeper could do nothing about it, by the time he saw it, Forest Green players were wheeling off, celebrating the amazing goal!
Now, The Rovers were going for the win, as they put dangerous attacker Dayle Grubb onto the field, clearly striking fear into the opposition as they saw him come onto the pitch.Chances then started to appear at both ends, with MK Dons having the clearer opportunities.
With 5 minutes of normal time left, and both sides going for glory, it seemed likely there would be a winning goal.

After Lewis Ward punched a corner away, it fell to opposition feet, the Rovers defenders couldn’t stop the cross into the box, and the ball ended at the feet of Russel Martin, at the back post, who had an easy chance to win the game for his side, and he took it. Giving FGR less than five minutes to score once more to salvage a point.However, it was too little time to build any pressure and several attempts to get the ball into the MK Dons box lead to nothing, and the referee blew his whistle for the last time, leaving Forest Green in despair after a good performance, but I have to say the score was about right for the game today.

All that we can now is move on to the next game, knowing a play-off place is still in our own hands.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:26 am

Well done Sebastian. Nice write-up :)
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Match Report by Jamie Fearon – Ambassador at St Mary’s, Tetbury
FGR – MK Dons
30th March 2019

On Saturday the 30th of March, I went to see FGR take on MK Dons at The New Lawn.

Before the game started there was a minute’s applause to mark the sad passing of the club’s former chairman Trevor Horsley. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING.

At the start of the game the Dons were straight into it, and by the 4th minute they had already had a corner. But soon it was FGR’s turn to attack as Liam Shephard was sprinting down the wing with the ball and he crossed it into Doidge hitting the ball just wide. In the 28th minute things started to get serious. Joseph Mills had a near miss off a counter attack followed by the Dons’ David Wheeler hitting one wide. With just six minutes remaining in the half, Lewis Ward passed the ball to Gavin Gunning who was being closed down by Wheeler. Gunning tried to clear the ball but wheeler blocked the ball, and without taking a touch, crossed it into Agard who neatly slotted it in the bottom corner to make it 1-0. For the rest of the half FGR were desperate to get a goal back but simply couldn’t- Mondal even had an attempt at a scorpion kick!

Second half.

In the second half FGR needed to get a goal back. And that’s exactly what they did in the 63rd minute after Liam Shephard’s cross to George Williams with a world class header. The score was now 1-1. For another ten minutes it was completely even with shot equalling shot and tackle equalling tackle. On the 71st minute, MK Dons had a disallowed goal from a setpiece because it was offside. By the 80th minute, the Dons looked like they were about to score at any moment. In the 86th minute the moment we had all been dreading finally came. MK Dons were ahead. The ball was crossed from the right wing to the far edge of the box where Russel Martin simply tapped the ball past Ward and into the left bottom corner. After four minutes of extra time the ref blew the final whistle.

Both teams battled hard but overall, I think that MK Dons deserved the win.

WE ARE FGR
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Crawley Town FC 1 Vs 2 Forest Green Rovers
At the People’s Pension Stadium Crawley

By Dan Wiles, our ambassador at Crossways Junior

From kick off it became clear that Crawley were going to dominate possession and that was exactly what they did. Forest Green didn’t let their heads drop though after an early goal from Crawley in the twenty-fourth minute as Dannie Bulman sent a bullet into the top corner from over twenty yards out!

This early goal livened the game up as both goalkeepers, especially Forest Green’s Lewis Ward, had to pull off a number of incredible saves but the saves couldn’t last forever. In the thirty-fourth minute Forest Green pulled it level again as Christian Doidge dribble past the goalie and caressed the ball into the back of the net securing his tenth goal of the season, Reese Brown also grabbing himself an assist.

SECOND HALF:

The second half was a much more physical half as a couple of players from both teams committed fouls leading to the referee dealing out some yellow cards. It was only until very late in the second half that another goal was scored. The tension was broken in the eighty-eighth minute by Christian Doidge bagging himself his second of the game and his eleventh of the season and clamming Forest Green another three points for the league.

With this well worked victory, Forest Green are now in the play-off positions which makes it possible for them to promote themselves to a higher league, league one.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 am

Forest Green Rovers vs Macclesfield Town Match Report

Hi, my name is Dylan Hartley and I am the ambassador for Archway School. This is my second year of being an ambassador and I am loving it, because you get to help out and promote the club and get more young people to come to the games.

On a cold but bright day at the New Lawn, FGR played Macclesfield. Both teams desperately needed the three points, but for very different reasons: FGR moving closer to securing a play-off position and Macclesfield battling to stay in the football league.

Forest Green made a strong start and were on the front foot for most of the first half. Our first chance came when George Williams’ shot was just wide of the post. Macclesfield created very little, but their best opportunity of the half was when Elliott Smith headed the ball just over the bar. FGR kept on pushing with a free kick in the 45th+1 minute – sent just wide by Joseph Mills. The first half ended goalless.

Macclesfield had a corner two minutes into the second half, but nothing came of it. A few moments later, Christian Doidge ran up the other end of the pitch and put his shot just over the bar. In the 56th minute, the moment finally came when Joseph Mills’ free kick met the foot of Doidge, who turned it into the net past Republic of Ireland U21 keeper, Kieran O’Hara.

The game then slowed down until the 88th minute, when Carl Winchester was brought down 25 yards from goal. Mills took the free kick and scored with a wonderful strike into the bottom right hand corner, to make it FGR 2 - Macclesfield 0. A few minutes later, referee Craig Hicks blew the final whistle in a result which saw FGR stay in sixth position, but now six points clear of 8th!

By Dylan Hartley.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks Dylan - a good, well-composed and succinct report if I may say.
Appropriate emphasis on the concluding words too! C'mon FGR!!
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks for comments Stanman

My name is Iris I am 10 years old and I’m the FGR ambassador for Horsley Primary School. I live very close to the New Lawn and have been coming to watch matches with my family since I was little.

Last Saturday, on a sunny but cold afternoon FGR kicked off against Macclesfield Town who are 22nd in the table and managed by England legend Sol Campbell. Reece Brown, league 2 player of the month for March led the attack for us.

Despite a couple of Joseph Mills free kicks and shots by George Williams, Junior Mondal and Reece Brown, the first half ended 0-0.

Soon into the second half the opposition won a free kick into the penalty box from the halfway line. This came to nothing as did their shot over the bar and a corner. FGR eventually took the lead through a great free kick which led to a goal by Doidge at 56 minutes.

Even though Macclesfield had quite a few close shots they were unable to equalize and FGR increased their lead to 2-0 at 87 minutes when Mills scored from a free kick. Carl Winchester was awarded man of the match.

FGR remain in 6th and could well make the play offs. Up the Rovers!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Hello Dan, Dylan and Iris. I really love reading these reports by you Ambassadors. Keep up the good work and keep the reports coming :D
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Great reports. I look forward to reading them.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 pm

FGR vs Cambridge Match Report (Lily Hewitt - Rodmarton Primary School)

On a hot and sunny Bank Holiday Monday at the New Lawn FGR made two changes to their starting XI from the win at Tranmere on Friday; as Dayle Grubb replaced George Williams (Ankle Injury), And Gavin Gunning was preferred ahead of Lee Collins .

Cambridge started well, as a long range strike from centre-back Louis John was well saved by James Montgomery as he pushed the ball to safety.

After a slow start from FGR , we began to play ourselves into the game with Cambridge’s goalkeeper Dimitar Mitov nearly caught out by (Man of the Match & Captain for the game) Joseph Mills ball in from the left which needed to be tipped over the crossbar.

With 24 minutes played, a brilliant Dayle Grubb corner whipped in to the front post was glanced in by Gavin Gunning for his first goal of the season. Gunning then proceeded to passionately celebrate in front of the East Stand with his son celebrating with him by the side of the pitch.

FGR had many chances following this, with captain Joseph Mills having a couple of these, the best was late in the first half, after a great flowing passing move fell to Mills, whose effort was blocked.

FGR were very unlucky not to go in 2-0 up at half time, as Dayle Grubb’s curling free kick then hit the post.

FGR started the second half well, with Mills crossing to the energetic Junior Mondal whose shot was blocked again. It was the opposite full-back, Liam Shephard next to push FGR forward, again his effort was blocked by the busy Cambridge defence.

The Cambridge manager, Collin Calderwood then made a double substitution,
bringing on Ibhre and Brown, giving Cambridge a new attacking force, and soon equalised with a long range shot, zipping past Montgomery at his front post.

FGR were soon back on the front foot, with Reece Brown driving a shot at Mitov in Cambridge’s goal. It was again Reece Brown playing a great pass to Mills, who’s shot was again blocked by one of Cambridge’s defenders.

As legs began to tire, FGR re-took the lead, with Grubb’s corner finding Gunning, whose header was blocked on the line, and then knocked in by Christian Doidge, sending the Home Fans jumping with joy in celebration.

In the last 10 minutes, Reuben Reid replaced Mondal (Suffering With Cramp), then Paul Digby replaced Reece Brown in the 90th minute to help FGR close out the game. This result secures FGR a minimum of a place in the League Two play-offs, with still a chance of automatic promotion, Up the Rovers !!! #WeAreFGR

Lily Hewitt (Rodmarton Primary School)
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:34 am

Thanks Lily for a very good and accurate summary of game.
As usual with all the Ambassador reports it was a delight to read.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:08 am

Thank you Lily. Excellent report.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Wow Lily, that was a great report :D
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 pm

My name is Evie Urquhart and I’m the ambassador for Rednock, this year is my fourth consecutive year as being the ambassador and I will carry on next season, hopefully in league 1. After the game against Exeter City I was awarded Ambassador of the year which I was incredibly grateful about and also Club person of the year, which was a huge shock. I’m also thankful for everyone at FGR this season for everything they have done.

FGR had made 6 Changes from the beaten side against Crewe, With FGR already guaranteed a place in the Playoffs it was Exeter who threatened first, hoping for them to confirm the last place in the playoffs with a win. Within the first half an hour Exeter’s Lee Holmes had a great opportunity but couldn’t find the back of the net thankfully. Soon later Exeter’s Ryan Bowman should have scored when James Montgomery was out on the edge of the box however, even an open goal couldn’t help Exeter. As half time drawing nearer Exeter we’re looking dangerous and threatening, chasing there dreams of the playoffs!

Neither Exeter or FGR could find a goal in the second half even when Exeter game out fighting unknown to them both Colchester and Newport were also battling out for the final playoff spot. FGR soon had a chance by Godwin-Malife but a shot wide couldn’t find a goal, followed by a run from McGinley and a shot from McCulskey just fired wide couldn’t get Rovers in the lead. As full time became in sight Rovers could have snatched the win however as the final whistle blew, gutted Exeter couldn’t find a goal to win, finishing ninth and just one point outside the playoffs.

The draw left FGR in fifth facing Tranmere in the Playoffs.

COYR
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon May 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Congrats Evie on both your well deserved awards.
And as usual you’re continuing the more than excellent Ambassador reports tradition.
Very good and accurate summary of game. Well done.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon May 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Great report and well done on winning those awards Evie :D
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Tue May 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Forest Green Rovers vs Exeter city

by Connor Rigall, our Ambassador at St Josephs, Nympsfield

FGR denied Exeter’s hopes of getting promoted to league one after they ended the season with a 0-0 draw.

Despite forest green having already secured a spot in the play-offs, they were the first to strike, almost scoring in the 7th minute. Shortly after, the away sides’ Bowman got past Godwin-Malife. However, Holmes missed his target and the ball was sent into the south stand. Montgomery defended a one on one well but when Ryan Bowman was passed the ball, he had an open goal and (luckily) he missed. The rovers got worried when Ryan threatened them again with a header that hit the post in the 31st minute- 14 minutes before half-time. Saving the fans from disappointment, Nathan McGinley headed the ball just above the crossbar 11 minutes before the break. Boateng finished the first half with a wide shot and Exeter were looking dangerous.

To start the second 45-minute half Exeter commanded a ball to skim the top of Montgomery’s goal. Number 21 (Sean McCoulsky) had a chance but the away side stopped his opportunity to score. Soon after Junior Mondal had a crack at the goal but it was saved by Pym. Following that Isaac Pearce of forest green ran into the box although the cross was intercepted by Exeter. In the 70th minute Godwin-Malife handballed the ball before Montgomery saved a shot as well as FGR disappointment, which the fans would hate to see. Following this, Lloyd James booted it way over the crossbar in the 79th minute. 1 minute later it was Reid’s turn to shoot.

With 6 minutes of added time the second -and the last as well- corner was given proudly to the green devils. Exeter then made the home fans petrified as they almost ended the game 1-0 just before full time.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to Ambassadors Forum