For chat about all other topics

Re: Eating Less Meat

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 am

Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:37 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/womens_football/veganism-chloe-arthur-chris-smalling-sir-stanley-matthews-a8788846.html

It keeps cropping up - FGR, veganism, benefits etc.

Includes some sensible, understandable paragraphs about the link between the vegan diet, the bacteria in your gut (the gut microbiome), fitness and recovery from injury.

My only comment is that anyone thinking seriously about veganism should get good advice about which supplements they may need to take as well - preferably from a registered dietician.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:19 pm

There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:26 pm

I've been up in Suffolk for a break with some great social networks and local ales from lowestoft and southwold. And eating out there as well. I had a particularly great meal in a pub with pickled cooked broccoli, charred broccoli , Apple seasoned in lemon and spices and wafer thin, smoked almond slivers and pearl cous cous with harrissa. It was one of the best meals I've had this year. the pub was rammed unsurprisingly.

The noteable thing though was there were 8 main courses to choose from. 2 vegan, 2 veggie dishes including cheese cream, fish then ham hock then chicken then lamb.

We brought a few pies back to have tonight from the local deli shop. One chicken. One mushroom in cream sauce and asparagus. One mushroom, tomato, baby onion and thyme in a rich gravy with vegan pastry. All the same kind of size as the Q pie. The vegan one was knockout as agreed between 3 diners.

The quality of what vegan food is around is rising way beyond lentil and carrot based dishes.

Mind you we went out last night and the vegan option was nachos with 3 bean sauce. Ok but uninspiring. I had the fish while the strife had a pulled pork wrap. It came deep fried and crispy on the outside but dripping inside in oil and was described as I wish I'd had the fish I can't eat this.

The vegan bar has been well and truly lifted.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:16 pm

A new report has suggested that by 2040 60% of ‘meat’ consumed will either be grown in vats or plant-based alternatives.

The report was conducted by global consultancy firm
@ATKearney
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 pm

I don't expect to still be here in 2040 but hopefully by then the world will have realised that humans don't need to eat meat to survive, animals feel pain and fear, people that ill-treat them deserve jail sentences and countries that tolerate barbaric cruelty are boycotted so tourists will realise it's not cool to kill things and go elsewhere.

Fox and deer hunting, badger baiting, hare coarsing, dog fighting, bull fighting, bull lighting, trophy hunting, dog meat markets etc. will have been abolished and living creatures are finally respected.

And FGR are top of the PL.

Those are my hopes for 2040.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Pitchfork wrote:A new report has suggested that by 2040 60% of ‘meat’ consumed will either be grown in vats or plant-based alternatives.

Soylent Green becomes reality.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:38 pm

I think that’s Soylent Red or Yellow, green is a bit different...
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am

It seems that 34% of the UK population is now eating Less Meat according to Quorn on the news this morning. Mainly flexitarians alongside vegans and vegetarians.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Just went to a greasy spoon for lunch in Norwood and saw a group of builders having a hearty soup and bread.

Turned out it was the 'Vegan Special' minestrone soup. big bowl. Very tasty and quite a few people forgoing the liver and bacon with chips beans and fried onions.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:07 pm

A bit hot at the moment in the smoke. So a small Time bbq for 2. No meat. But a bit of fish.

Someone in the social network recommended grilling a fish on a bed of orange slices on the bbq. What a revelation. Slice a couple of oranges into quarter inch slices. Shove them over the bbq till they start to caremalise for a couple of minutes. then turn the slices over. Slap the fishes on the Orange slices for whatever. Maybe 6 minutes then turn over.

The fish is grilled and a wonderful orange background but not burnt.

The Orange is carbon...

Some nice mandolined griddled courgettes and broccoli to accompany the fish. And some seedy bread. And lots of beer to rehydrate.

Going to try it again tomorrow with aubergine etc tomorrow.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:08 pm

For a starter on a BBQ try a portion of salmon, trout or my favourite sea bass ( make sure it's from a sustainable source) use greaseproof paper slice new potatoes in 2mm width add peas, courgettes sliced thinly, lime juice, black pepper and a twist of salt then wrap in foil give it 10 minutes, rest for a couple more and serve with Greek salad, right tasty.

Then throw on the hot dogs and burgers for the unitiated, lol.

Ansum.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 pm

I was at a meeting yesterday where Dale V gave a passionate speech concerning the environment but especially eating meat.
His view of the future is worrying if mankind does not change its habits.
He virtually demanded that humans stop eating meat for the good of the planet
His opinions were not challenged as they have on this site, but all the same ...........
Obviously his message has already connected with a large number of the population but nevertheless a lot of meat is still consumed,
I love a bacon sarnie or a Sunday roast and will not easily change that habit.
The only remedy that I can foresee is that all meat becomes extremely expensive and priced out of the pocket of the mass of the population.
Until I joined the army in my late teens I was virtual vegan, my family could not afford to buy meat.
But that solution means that the world world would suffer an eternal recession.
Thank you, but I know most people would rather die early but happy until then.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:36 pm

A large minority of people in developed countries now eat less meat, this is a growing trend especially in Europe. Flexitarians morph into vegetarians and an increasing number turn vegan. However just cutting down on meat makes a difference, especially if people understand the rationale for this.

All have different reasons - health, caring for the planet and animal cruelty the chief ones.

Cost is certainly a factor for those who struggle to manage on their budget, but sadly there are many cheap processed meat options which are very unhealthy.

In developing countries, increasing affluence tends to correlate with eating more meat.

Raising awareness of the issues though education is key to encouraging mankind to change their habits.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:51 pm

Good piece on the impact of a growing, unsustainable and unnecessary demand for meat on the Amazon rainforest.

FGR on the right side of history.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... eat-brazil
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby stanman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9701233/vegan-forest-green-dale-vince/

The latest on FGR food from The Sun. As I recall they were the ones who made hay with the story and picture of Jon Parkin and others eating outside Greggs in Stroud, and of course that was in the good old days before Greggs start selling their popular vegan sausage rolls.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Good link Stanman.

I think the thing I struggle with is vegan recipe at home. We're growing potatoes, sprouts, purple sprouting, cauliflower, parsnips, sweetcorn, French beans, dwarf beans, runner beans, onions, carrots and peas plus in the greenhouse monster tomatoes, cucumbers, chilli and peppers.

Problem is we go to the supermarket and it's lamb chop, steak or pork chop to go with it.

Maybe we should just eat the veg it's so good to be fair.

Inspiration required.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 am

We had a fantastic veg stir fry with rice noodles last night. With courgettes, French beans, cabbage from the allotment plus loads of garlic, chilli and soy sauce. Now a once a week staple.

Falafel wrap for lunch yesterday from the former kebab shop in Wandsworth High Street.

I don't feel short changed this morning after veggie intake yesterday. Habits have definitely changed in the last 8 years. spaghetti Bolognese and chilli are off the menu apart from very rare occasions for a change. Rather than every week.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 am

twoguns wrote:Good link Stanman.

I think the thing I struggle with is vegan recipe at home. We're growing potatoes, sprouts, purple sprouting, cauliflower, parsnips, sweetcorn, French beans, dwarf beans, runner beans, onions, carrots and peas plus in the greenhouse monster tomatoes, cucumbers, chilli and peppers.

Problem is we go to the supermarket and it's lamb chop, steak or pork chop to go with it.

Maybe we should just eat the veg it's so good to be fair.

Inspiration required.

If you want vegetarian alternatives rather than to go completely vegan, try Quorn which is available in all supermarkets. Sainsburys usually have the biggest selection.

You can then use the Quorn mince or chicken style pieces instead of meat for things like shepherd's pie, chilli,, spag bol and curries etc. They also do sausages, pies, bacon , meat free fillets and meatballs that you can have with your veg rather than lamb chops!

Quorn do make a vegan range that don't contain eggs or dairy but the choice is much smaller.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:07 am

The other big dietary change in the last few years is my breakfast this morning. I never used to eat breakfast and then a bacon or sausage sandwich later on. or some other snack.

Now I make a bowl of fruit salad at the weekend. Juice up 5 oranges. Dice up 6 apples. Dice up 2 honey mangoes (currently in season) and mix a put in the fridge.

400g tub of Sojade soya yoghurt. With energy, protein and next to no saturated fat.

I have a big bowl like a filled bowl. And it lasts the week. I never quite look forward to eating it at 6 but after a first cup of tea it's fantastic. Keeps me off snacks till lunchtime.

A vegan breakfast with protein and energy.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat