Old Tom Cat, what are you on about?
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Re: FGR dazzles with world’s first bamboo football kit

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:56 am

Eco-Exile wrote::roll: :roll:

FGR were wrong in having Sea Shepherd for their charity.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:43 am

The Old TomCat wrote:

Incorrect in my view.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Earl » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:46 am

Having seen the kit close up, no I would not wear that in public. On the pitch it looks ok just a little strange. Nothing wrong with that. I’ll keep my old kit and see what happens with a new design in two years.

I’m envious of football clubs that gain promotion, not of other club’s green credentials. What happens on the pitch is all that matters to the vast majority of fans.

As for sponsors, Dale Vince will only work with organisations that fit his narrow fixed viewpoint. Who cares as long as he keeps investing in the club.
Earl
First Team
First Team

Postby voodoobluesman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 am

I find it a bit odd about this. Not wanted to criticise the green ethos here, but for one, this is only 50% bamboo, so what is the other 50? Possibly some oil-based material. Secondly, where is it made? I'd love it to be the UK, but I have my doubts. I hope it is at least fairtrade, but possibly has a lot of air-miles coming with it.

This also leads to over-consumption. How many of us will buy it, and just leave the old shirts at the back of the wardrobe, or even throw them away going to landfill?

Whilst it's great marketing and yet another good advert for Ecotricity, it shouldn't be promulgated as "green" (except for the colour). It's not, it flies in the face of sustainability.

If they do have to do this, perhaps they could do a trade-in price for the old shirt, and donate it to charity or give it the homeless. (imagine the PR that would produce!)

I'd also ask anyone who does buy one to donate the old one too. At least do some good with it.

By the way, Tom, I'm with you. I'm uncomfortable about Sea Shepherd methods too.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:42 am

Hi
While I am aware of Ecotricity's sponsorship of FGR i don't use them.
I have never even noticed who sponsors who when watching any other sports.
I mute or FF adverts on-line and TV. In the old days Ad time was for going into the kitchen to put the kettle on.
I delete marketing emails unread.
I don't click on advertising links when searching for information online, though I would click on them if I knew it would cost them through a pay-per-click system.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:49 am

Hi
It is probably as well that we are using Bamboo rather than some of the other Green sustainable fabric souces.
Just imagine the ribaldry if we had started using Nettles or Hemp not only providing very usable fibres for fabric but possibly more locally available unless our bamboo is locally grown to the kit manufacturers factory.
Come to think of it, where is the kit made?
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Using bamboo etc is all well and good, but it doesn't solve the problem of what to do with all the plastic waste we have, nor is it going to stop the majority manufacturing and buying synthetic clothing which means more and more new plastics will be generated. If it were possible to highlight how it is both economically beneficial and more efficient to produce the exact same material using recycled plastics instead that would be a far stronger message imo.

I would have preferred the club to have gone down the recycled plastic route tbh, as it addresses more problems. Like it or not, there is a huge amount of plastic waste, and there will continue to be, which does not biodegrade and is clogging up beaches, oceans and rivers and needs to be removed on an industrial scale, then ideally reused. If sports companies could see how it could be viable, good PR and most importantly commercially beneficial to start picking that up and using it in their sports wear en masse then at least it would help improve that situation.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Interesting new shirt. I'll be buying one as every year.

The bamboo thing is a good move although the RRP hasn't been announced yet?

I disagree on using recycled plastic. I think the clubs position is far more radical than that.

What may seem unimaginable to the majority now may become reality soon enough. On many different fronts including renewable clothing.

The clubs position is cut out plastic altogether. Mine is too. I've stopped buying fruit etc from supermarkets and gone back to tooting market with a shopping bag. No way have I cut it all out though.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Timb wrote:Interesting new shirt. I'll be buying one as every year.

The bamboo thing is a good move although the RRP hasn't been announced yet?

I disagree on using recycled plastic. I think the clubs position is far more radical than that.

What may seem unimaginable to the majority now may become reality soon enough. On many different fronts including renewable clothing.

The clubs position is cut out plastic altogether. Mine is too. I've stopped buying fruit etc from supermarkets and gone back to tooting market with a shopping bag. No way have I cut it all out though.

But even if everyone cut out using plastic altogether that still would not solve the problem of the tonnes and tonnes of plastic waste currently polluting our eco systems and in landfill. It does not biodegrade quickly, if at all, so why not at least find as many ways possible of reusing it? If you could get major manufacturers invested in harvesting plastics from oceans etc it would certainly help with the clean up.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:16 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:BTW the fox hunting community largely created the wonderful English countryside that we all enjoy.

You have evidence to back up this claim?
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:47 pm

hmmm indeed ............................. I always thought it was down to tectonics, glaciation and volcanoes. Must have a word with my old school teachers !!!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:56 pm

The Running Rover wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:BTW the fox hunting community largely created the wonderful English countryside that we all enjoy.

Not a shred - again he probably read it in the Mail who were making up stuff to support their chosen Tory candidate.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stapo101 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:00 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:

I for one am immensely proud of FGR's association with Sea Shepherd. Greenpeace Is far to concerned with their corporate image to be as effective as they should be.

There needs to be more people like Paul Watson in this world. He gives no +-£# about your opinion or mine. He has one purpose and one purpose only - to defend the rights of marine animals. If that means he upsets Japanese whalers acting under the paper thin disguise of scientific research, or upsetting the Faroes "traditions" of mass brutal slaughter then boo boo. Oh and BTW most of the whale meat ,as in Japan, gets wasted, there simply isn't the appetite or market for it anymore.
Last edited by stapo101 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stapo101
Youth
Youth

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:29 pm

Shaun McCoulsky's image made it to the Daily Mail, with a good P/R piece for Forest Green.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:28 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Bristol_Green wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:
What’s your gripe with Sea Shepherd? Some nonsense you read in the Mail?

https://www.icrwhale.org/eng/history.pdf
They're a Japanese pro-whaling lobby group.

Do you support them?

Yes if everything they state is true.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

You are being really weird. As for fox hunting being integral to our country ... jeez slavery also helped shape out country, but some of us learn from it and move on.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby dursleydog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Bristol_Green wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:
What’s your gripe with Sea Shepherd? Some nonsense you read in the Mail?

https://www.icrwhale.org/eng/history.pdf
They're a Japanese pro-whaling lobby group.

Do you support them?

Yes if everything they state is true.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

You are being really weird. As for fox hunting being integral to our country ... jeez slavery also helped shape out country, but some of us learn from it and move on.

I’ve found I enjoy this forum much more when I simply ignore anything OTC has to say, it becomes a much happier place
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby Greeners » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi
T50 BOS wrote:hmmm indeed ............................. I always thought it was down to tectonics, glaciation and volcanoes. Must have a word with my old school teachers !!!

Yes you really should, I doubt there is even 2% of the UK's landmass which hasn't been changed by mankind.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Earl wrote:Having seen the kit close up, no I would not wear that in public. On the pitch it looks ok just a little strange. Nothing wrong with that. I’ll keep my old kit and see what happens with a new design in two years.

I’m envious of football clubs that gain promotion, not of other club’s green credentials. What happens on the pitch is all that matters to the vast majority of fans.

As for sponsors, Dale Vince will only work with organisations that fit his narrow fixed viewpoint. Who cares as long as he keeps investing in the club.

do you think it conceivable that unless the causes that DV genuinely supports ,and that in turn supports his business-one of which is FGR-he would be less inclined to 'keep investing ', which it does seem you do care about .

Is it fair that in return the likes of you and i ,invest in at least some of his ideas ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm

The Running Rover wrote:

Certainly have:
All in this academic report
https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/38809/1/2012BevanJPhD.pdf
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team