FGR dazzles with world’s first bamboo football kit

All about our First Team

Re: FGR dazzles with world’s first bamboo football kit

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:
You are being really weird. As for fox hunting being integral to our country ... jeez slavery also helped shape out country, but some of us learn from it and move on.

What on earth are on on about.
Somebody else brought up subject of fox hunting - NOT ME.
And I've never mentioned slavery - that is YOU.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby garyjj » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:18 pm

I like the kit, first kit I've bought since the good old black and white days..

Also people who get enjoyment from hurting/killing defenseless animals have a certain C word reserved for them, as this Is the fgr forum I'll just have to call them scum
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
The Running Rover wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:BTW the fox hunting community largely created the wonderful English countryside that we all enjoy.

You have evidence to back up this claim?

Not a shred - again he probably read it in the Mail who were making up stuff to support their chosen Tory candidate.

Now now EE.
You were too quick of mark in posting. I've not been on forum since early morning.
And to say I've not a shred of evidence flies against common knowledge. Check out the academic report link I supplied.
And I have no idea what the next Tory PM or reading Daily Mail has to do with subject. I don't have a vote in the Tory leaders campaign and read any newspaper left in the cafe whenever I have a cup of tea there.

What I will say is that there seems to to be an increasing unpleasant mob mentality because I said I FGR could do a lot better than have Sea Shepherd as its nominated charity.
Opponents claim they are just offering a different opinion but slag me off for mine.
I also note it is same people who are bitter Remoaners in the Brexit debate.
Lets hope Hunt or Johnson are true to their word and UK exits the EU ASAP.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby montyc » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Load of PANDAMODEU. :lol:
GREEN ARMY, GREEN ARMY
montyc
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:52 pm

montyc wrote:Load of PANDAMODEU. :lol:

No entiendo!
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Ant76 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Jeez, it’s a bit heated in here tonight! Calm down, folks!

For what it’s worth... I applaud Dale’s decision to look for “another way” on kit manufacture. Is it perfect? No, and I’ve not seen him claim that. Is it better for the environment? Certainly so!

I’ll go back to the point I’ve raised a few times: change will not be made by everyone being perfect at this stuff. Change comes when millions of people do their best, imperfectly.

Of course, FGR’s vegan food, bamboo kit, reusable energy etc etc, won’t change the world. Of course it won’t! Let’s not forget that this is a small club, and anything done is a tiny, tiny drop in the ocean (metaphor intended).

BUT... let’s back it. Because change happens when people do what they can. I can’t change the crisis about single-use plastic, about whaling, about what the meat industry is doing to the world. But I CAN change my own habits, I can recycle better and I can choose to use recyclable energy. On its own? No tangible difference, obviously; I live in a semi-detached house in South Gloucestershire with my wife and my two boys. Whatever I do makes little to no difference. But I still think I should do it, and I should shout from the rooftops that I’m doing it, because if I can convince 100, 200, 300 people to do the same, then it’s a slightly bigger drop in the ocean. Dale, and FGR, albeit a small club, have some sort of platform. I’m absolutely behind them in using that platform to encourage change.
Ant76
Youth
Youth

Postby Ant76 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 pm

And let’s speculate a bit here. Say a club like Manchester Utd, or Chelsea, or Manchester City, or whoever, see what little FGR are doing with kit manufacture, and are challenged to do similar. Then we’re taking about millions and millions of shirt sales worldwide. That drop in the ocean is suddenly quite significant. It may not happen; but what a joy to support a club who are not only doing things “another way”, but are also competitive on the field in League Two. And I think we will be. I’m not sure whether the squad is better or worse than last season; too many unknowns, I’ll reserve judgement. But I hope we’ll be in the play-off mix again, at least.
Ant76
Youth
Youth

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:
You are being really weird. As for fox hunting being integral to our country ... jeez slavery also helped shape out country, but some of us learn from it and move on.

What on earth are on on about.
Somebody else brought up subject of fox hunting - NOT ME.
And I've never mentioned slavery - that is YOU.

Otc you've got yourself into a bit of a corner perhaps. You said that fox hunting shapped our country, I pointed out that other morally wrong things have shaped our country too, and that it doesnt mean we should continue to be like that. Seems quite simple to me.

Anyhow, I like what someone said about giving the old shirts away so they will be reaused and worn, I am going to do that. Although I quite like the record, it's not that important to me.

I like the links with bamboo, although the blend is not perfect, adoption of 'new' materials now leads to better alternatives in the future.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:08 am

Ant76 wrote:Jeez, it’s a bit heated in here tonight! Calm down, folks!

For what it’s worth... I applaud Dale’s decision to look for “another way” on kit manufacture. Is it perfect? No, and I’ve not seen him claim that. Is it better for the environment? Certainly so!

I’ll go back to the point I’ve raised a few times: change will not be made by everyone being perfect at this stuff. Change comes when millions of people do their best, imperfectly.

Of course, FGR’s vegan food, bamboo kit, reusable energy etc etc, won’t change the world. Of course it won’t! Let’s not forget that this is a small club, and anything done is a tiny, tiny drop in the ocean (metaphor intended).

BUT... let’s back it. Because change happens when people do what they can. I can’t change the crisis about single-use plastic, about whaling, about what the meat industry is doing to the world. But I CAN change my own habits, I can recycle better and I can choose to use recyclable energy. On its own? No tangible difference, obviously; I live in a semi-detached house in South Gloucestershire with my wife and my two boys. Whatever I do makes little to no difference. But I still think I should do it, and I should shout from the rooftops that I’m doing it, because if I can convince 100, 200, 300 people to do the same, then it’s a slightly bigger drop in the ocean. Dale, and FGR, albeit a small club, have some sort of platform. I’m absolutely behind them in using that platform to encourage change.

Completely agree. I am proud that FGR is taking such positive action and it is nice to be able to support football knowing that by doing so I am encouraging such action, even if we are just one small player in a big world. Think global, act local, as the saying goes.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:28 am

I applaud and agree with your 2 posts above, Ant76.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 am

without being patronising-make it an agree from me .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:11 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
The Running Rover wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:BTW the fox hunting community largely created the wonderful English countryside that we all enjoy.

You have evidence to back up this claim?

Certainly have:
All in this academic report
https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/38809/1/2012BevanJPhD.pdf

That's way too long and time consuming to read, but if correct, it will be the first positive thing I've ever heard of when it comes to fox hunting.

Thanks for taking the time to post the link up OTC.
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Just check out page 371 or so.

Times change. My uncle used to farm sallywood up above Shortwood and always followed the Hunt till the 80s. My great (however many back) great granddad was the whipper in of the Duke of Beauforts hounds at badminton back in the 1830s.

Greeners is right, our environment has been shaped by us and will continue to be shaped by us. Which is why it's so important to take the environmental stuff so seriously.

Where I live in London we're close to the river wandle which until the 1970s was classed as an open Thames Water Sewer pouring industrial effluent out into the Thames at Wandsworth. It flooded regularly down through Wandsworth earlsfield Colliers Wood and further south with thick effluent. Then the groundswell concluded that things had to change to try to unpoison the rivers. 50 years later and we've deculverted the upper reach in Croydon through from purley Way and wandle park into the centre of Croydon. Flood relief and big environmental benefits and a big increase in values. Commercial social and environmental. cleaning up stuff like that would have been unheard of at the time that the Hunt existed with its lower class of workers to enable that culture to exist.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andyp » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Like the kit, but the below article has a note of caution about the use of bamboo in clothing.

https://thegreenhubonline.com/2017/11/2 ... -friendly/

Let’s hope the shirts are not bamboo rayon!
andyp
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 pm

There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:33 am

Bit late to this discussion and have not read the 5 pages of comments. So. apologies if my comments have been 'done to death'

My daughter is a graduate in fashion. Heaven knows where that skill came from as I am the antithesis. I sit here proudly with socks inside my sandals as it is more comfortable that way. There I've said it. I have left the closet!

For what it is worth, I think there is a fine line between being striking & original, and, well - eugh! Some of Arsenal's away kits come to mind eh PM?

As for the latest FGR kit, I reckon it is the former. Top notch in my fashion-challenged world. Predictably we'll be ridiculed locally, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and I think we'll have plenty. Not sure about Joe in the jungle though - maybe he was auditioning for "I'm a celebrity ... ?"

Am I alone in hating the way replica shirts usually feel, the electric shocks they give you when you take them off and the horrible sweat-inducing nylon fabric? If a natural product like bamboo stops that then let's have more of the same. Hopefully, when our players are fouled, their assailants will get splinters

Nice one Dale
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRWill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 am

If you're on FB, here's Dale's interview with Jim White and Bob Mills from TalkSPORT last Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/dale.vince/vid ... 9859007395
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby It is now » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:05 pm

It’s a great interview and definitely worth a listen. Remember last season when Bolton fans were begging DV to be their chairman/owner? I suspect quite a few more clubs would love to have his ambition, conviction and rapport with the media ... as well as his money.

Ps I mean conviction in terms of his ethos and beliefs not as in the conviction (s) of that Idiot from Bolton !!
….. It Is Now (& Sons)

An Armchair Experts Production
It is now
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Agree.
A great interview and another one of those moments when you just feel so proud listening to everything he has to say.

DV and FGR are leading the way and eventually everyone else will follow........

We'll be a long way ahead by then!
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 pm

Having seen the kit on the gallery I think it's fantastic. Despite the link Andy P posted about the downsides of bamboo it's cutting edge and fantastic publicity for the club.

Cast your minds back a few seasons and we were moaning about the lack of publicity from local media outlets now DV and his forward thinking team has taken us global, fantastic.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team