Car Parking

All about our First Team

Car Parking

Postby Engineer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 pm

The car parking situation on match days has got horrendous. I know there are huge limitations on what can be done to relieve the car parking situation, but in view of the fact that planning permission was turned down, FGR will be on the hill for another 2/3 years at least. What can be done? Can the park and ride be increased? Can the adjoining fields be rented and fitted with matting to prevent damage to the ground? Any ideas anybody? Stadium Manager?
Engineer
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Car Parking

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 pm

Unfortunately the biggest cause of congestion and car parking issues is too many people driving who don’t need to. Park and ride etc are all well and good but achieve nothing if people do not change their behaviour.

I would propose a smart parking approach. Put sensors in each car parking bay. People can then use an app to see how many spaces are available before deciding whether to drive or not.

It also enables people who have to drive to pre-book (maybe using a priority membership section of the app) and if people use a booked space when they shouldn’t the system instantly flags this to enforcement staff who can ask the owner to remove the vehicle.

If people see there are no or very few spaces available they may be more inclined to use P&R or bus etc.

Designing and implementing such innovation test-beds is what my company does, so I will be happy to pick up with DV if they want us to put a strategy in place and broker access to the leading suppliers etc.
Last edited by Eco-Exile on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby StadiumMgr » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Engineer wrote:The car parking situation on match days has got horrendous. I know there are huge limitations on what can be done to relieve the car parking situation, but in view of the fact that planning permission was turned down, FGR will be on the hill for another 2/3 years at least. What can be done? Can the park and ride be increased? Can the adjoining fields be rented and fitted with matting to prevent damage to the ground? Any ideas anybody? Stadium Manager?

I think we are doing as much as we can realistically/practically can do, given the constraints of our location.

The changes to the P&R last season (i.e. operating the P&R for every league game when we could, plus dropping cost to £3) did help to increase take up, but there is still spare capacity for every game; as EE says, it's a question of how to get more supporters to use it (we are going to market it more/better).

As for the adjoining field, we have explored the option of installing matting/new access for the Lama field (one opp stadium) in detail: this would require planning permission, a huge initial cost but this won't work as the owner does not want to sell. I am sure that they will continue to run for when they can, subject to the weather, but this of course means it is realistically unavailable from Sept to April.

The last two games of 18/19 season (Exeter & Tranmere) both had a attendance of around 4,500, which is brilliant and we made it work. But it was utter chaos on the roads and we can still fit in another 500 supporters in before we max out! :o

For ref, our new stadium capacity will be 5,009.

Eco-Exile wrote:I would propose a smart parking approach. Put sensors in each car parking bay. People can then use an app to see how many spaces are available before deciding whether to drive or not.

Interesting idea but the only place this could be done is the School Car park (as the stadium is reserved for blue badge holders, hospitality & officials/etc); and I am sure the school won't want us digging up their car park. The cost of this is also likely to be very high and would only be for a limited number of spaces, as its capacity was reduced when the MUGA was built.

Always open to ideas or thoughts; via this Forum, when we host the next the Fans Forum at the ground or just grab me after a home game.

Cheers
StadiumMgr
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Greeners » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi
In each hr preceding the Sat KOs there are about 160 bus seats potentially available up to the ground. I say potentially because there are other people wanting to use the buses besides supporters.
There just might be upto a 1000 supporters who live within walking distance, though whether they are all able bodied enough to walk there.

So how do you suggest the other 1500+ get there?

More than that when you count away fans not using coaches.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:16 pm

StadiumMgr wrote:
Engineer wrote:The car parking situation on match days has got horrendous. I know there are huge limitations on what can be done to relieve the car parking situation, but in view of the fact that planning permission was turned down, FGR will be on the hill for another 2/3 years at least. What can be done? Can the park and ride be increased? Can the adjoining fields be rented and fitted with matting to prevent damage to the ground? Any ideas anybody? Stadium Manager?

I think we are doing as much as we can realistically/practically can do, given the constraints of our location.

The changes to the P&R last season (i.e. operating the P&R for every league game when we could, plus dropping cost to £3) did help to increase take up, but there is still spare capacity for every game; as EE says, it's a question of how to get more supporters to use it (we are going to market it more/better).

As for the adjoining field, we have explored the option of installing matting/new access for the Lama field (one opp stadium) in detail: this would require planning permission, a huge initial cost but this won't work as the owner does not want to sell. I am sure that they will continue to run for when they can, subject to the weather, but this of course means it is realistically unavailable from Sept to April.

The last two games of 18/19 season (Exeter & Tranmere) both had a attendance of around 4,500, which is brilliant and we made it work. But it was utter chaos on the roads and we can still fit in another 500 supporters in before we max out! :o

For ref, our new stadium capacity will be 5,009.

Eco-Exile wrote:I would propose a smart parking approach. Put sensors in each car parking bay. People can then use an app to see how many spaces are available before deciding whether to drive or not.

Interesting idea but the only place this could be done is the School Car park (as the stadium is reserved for blue badge holders, hospitality & officials/etc); and I am sure the school won't want us digging up their car park. The cost of this is also likely to be very high and would only be for a limited number of spaces, as its capacity was reduced when the MUGA was built.

Always open to ideas or thoughts; via this Forum, when we host the next the Fans Forum at the ground or just grab me after a home game.

Cheers

I can’t make the forum as live too far away.

What about a smart shared mobility trial?

Ecotricity could sponsor some electric taxis or minivans. Individuals in Stroud etc book them on an app like Uber, and then the artificial intelligence uses route optimisation analysis to plan the most efficient route to pick people up and fill the vehicle. Could be PAYG or charged as an add-on to the ST package.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stewjackhannah » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm

ive got a good idea - what about a new stadium with properly planned car parking and access near J13 M5????????
stewjackhannah
Youth
Youth

Postby NeilC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:35 pm

stewjackhannah wrote:ive got a good idea - what about a new stadium with properly planned car parking and access near J13 M5????????

Get yourself on the planning committee! Too late unfortunately- let’s hope the appeal/ representation works.....
NeilC
Youth
Youth

Postby twoguns » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Someone posted elsewhere about a car sharing scheme. Whether it be from Bristol, Stroud or any location. Can't be that difficult.

The main consideration is arrive early, park responsibly and enjoy the fantastic facilities at TNL prematch.

I'll be driving from Newquay in a TT so if anyone wants a lift pm me.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby It is now » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Last season I leaflet dropped in the houses close to the ground offering to pay for a parking space. A resident was delighted to get the money and also pleased that it was a proper arrangement and not someone inconsiderately blocking them in. Means we can arrive whenever we want to and get away without queuing in the car parks.

Worth a try?
….. It Is Now (& Sons)

An Armchair Experts Production
It is now
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:01 pm

10 /10 for initiative on that one IIN.

that aside-i can never understand this parking thing that many supporters have got .

I am as unfit as most-struggle to walk up hills etc etc, but i just accept it.

what god given right has anyone to park near the ground ?
at most grounds you have to park even further away and walk.

things ain't like they were 3/4 years ago-bigger crowds-fewer nearby parking spaces -so what .

its as though some used to park nearby when the crowds were under 1000 and still expect the same.

tough imo -arrive earlier-or walk further just like at other clubs,notwithstanding there is park n ride anyway.

if not-and parking is your big thing-go to another club where you get smaller crowds.
there will come a time when i will have to do exactly that, because i simply won't be able to walk one mile up hill ( i struggle now ) -but i accept it -its life .I have a choice-struggle or simply don't come.
Others just chose to moan it seems .

I would not for one minute expect to be able to park within 200 yards of the ground
Last edited by michael on Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby chrism » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 pm

Main concern with P&R is the availability of buses after the game. Not sure how many buses are in use and the available capacity, but with no room to put in a bus lane if you have to wait for a bus to get down the hill and back again you could be waiting for some time.
If the appeal for the new ground is successful then copying the Etihad P&R scheme using a fleet of electric buses instead of trams with traffic priority on to new off road bus stops could be a viable opportunity, as this could be used in the week for a P&R into Stroud.
chrism
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 pm

yes-i use p and r sometimes -especially if i am late ,and yes-post match -sometime wait a bit for the bus, and then it struggles in the traffic to get back to p and r-so it can be 5.20/5.30 by time get to renishaw's -but again-so what .

what do people expect ?
its the same point -we do not have a god given right to waltz up to the ground and just get in .

you would expect to have to wait half an hour-its part of the package of supporting a team in the efl .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:56 pm

Agree 100% with Michael. Have been to most away games in the past 2 seasons and have found that on numerous occasions I have needed to park a fair distance away from the stadium, does it matter, not really, I arrive in plenty of time and spend 10/15 minutes walking to the ground. For home games same strategy applies.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Freddy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:54 am

Reading in Nailsworth News, our County councillor Steve Robinson has the answer to the problem. He writes "Rejection of the FGR stadium in Eastington
by the Planning Committee, means both councils will need to work with FGR to improve car parking on match days." So our county councillor is on the case. He continues "Several meetings with FGR have resulted in the attendance of Parking Enforcement Officers when large numbers of supporters are expected."
So how does this work, are the Officers there advising where people should park, helping with the control of traffic before and after the game? Or do they turn up at 3.15 pm and walk round the immediate area and book cars that are parked with one wheel on the pavement. Perhaps the stadium manager could enlighten us to the brief of these Parking Officers.
Freddy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:36 am

Freddy wrote:Reading in Nailsworth News, our County councillor Steve Robinson has the answer to the problem. He writes "Rejection of the FGR stadium in Eastington
by the Planning Committee, means both councils will need to work with FGR to improve car parking on match days." So our county councillor is on the case. He continues "Several meetings with FGR have resulted in the attendance of Parking Enforcement Officers when large numbers of supporters are expected."
So how does this work, are the Officers there advising where people should park, helping with the control of traffic before and after the game? Or do they turn up at 3.15 pm and walk round the immediate area and book cars that are parked with one wheel on the pavement. Perhaps the stadium manager could enlighten us to the brief of these Parking Officers.

The latter one would hope as that is the job of enforcement officers. If people don’t want to get tickets then don’t violate parking restrictions - quite simple.

It is the responsibility of the club to to provide information and travel and parking advice and for the club to work with transport companies to provide alternatives to cars. The Council and Police are responsible for signs and road markings explaining the parking restrictions and rules. Enforcement Officers simply and correctly punish people who break the restrictions and rules.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tom FGR » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:18 pm

I'm not convinced it is as big a issue as many make out. I can turn up at 2.30 and park within a 10/15 min walk of the ground no problem. If I was unable to do this, then there's always a park and ride option.

A potential solution to encourage lift sharing... You're only allowed into the school car park if you have 4+ people in your car. This would surely encourage people to arrange lift sharing schemes before hand?
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Timb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Car sharing is the way forward. How to make it happen?
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi
Tom FGR wrote: A potential solution to encourage lift sharing... You're only allowed into the school car park if you have 4+ people in your car. This would surely encourage people to arrange lift sharing schemes before hand?

I see it now a queue of cars parked at the bottom of the hill with signs saying "save your legs ride up instead of walking".
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Timb wrote:Car sharing is the way forward. How to make it happen?

Has to be easy and convenient to use. Not fiddly contact lists or having to commit for a season etc.

Someone needs to be able to wake up on Saturday and decide over breakfast they want to go to the match, open an app and book, a car or taxi share.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Mothy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:48 pm

I can only speak positively about the park n ride.

I think the park n ride is great value. Maybe the left side of Renishaw is the park n ride for the bargain £3 and the right hand side could be a £1 to park and walk. To walk it's only across the road and straight up as many know.

Or some other parking closer to the town to provide a park n walk if more capacity is needed. Any capacity expansion doesn't have to be on FGRs front door step.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Next

Return to FGR First Team