Car Parking

All about our First Team

Re: Car Parking

Postby Timb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Agreed.

Maybe starting with a dedicated car share forum on here ?
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Tom FGR wrote:
A potential solution to encourage lift sharing... You're only allowed into the school car park if you have 4+ people in your car. This would surely encourage people to arrange lift sharing schemes before hand?

No problem even if you set out alone, Tom FGR. You could pick up the other three grateful walkers at the bottom of Spring Hill ...
saves a hard slog up there and Nympsfield road on foot. ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tom FGR » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
Tom FGR wrote:
A potential solution to encourage lift sharing... You're only allowed into the school car park if you have 4+ people in your car. This would surely encourage people to arrange lift sharing schemes before hand?

No problem even if you set out alone, Tom FGR. You could pick up the other three grateful walkers at the bottom of Spring Hill ...
saves a hard slog up there and Nympsfield road on foot. ;)

Very true. Would save me walking the 15 minutes I usually do!
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 am

Seems to me that the main issues are when cars or coaches parked on Nympsfield Road. Perhaps FGR could make sure that the P&R buses go from the ground itself, along with any other coaches, rather than park on the road. Then, the council could have Parking Attendants that actually do something about the cars parked along the road and Tinkley Lane. Perhaps then, we could have a police officer there to help direct traffic after the match. It's called co-operation.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby madasahatter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 am

The problem isn't where the coaches park on the road. The congestion is a direct result of the additional 70 cars (measured against a non-match day Saturday) between 16.50 and 17.15 that travel up the hill to the ground, presumably to pick up somebody. There is no pick-up point so they stop anywhere - resulting in chaos.
madasahatter
Youth
Youth

Postby The Game Within » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:14 pm

I've always said the parking of coach/bus on the main road is the biggest problem you have cars coming up from the school to go along Tinkley Lane (which have right of way) and cars trying to go down Springhill from the ground and estate so all you end up with is a bottle jam. Why can't someone from the club see this and park the coaches outside the main stand.
The Game Within
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:27 pm

Close the road to cars for 20 mins after the match to help the initial rush of buses come and go.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Both of the above issues seem to be resolvable by making sure that any vehicle that stops does so in the ground. The most important thing is to keep the main road free of stationary traffic.

Is it me?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Makes sense to me ,but could there be insurance issues with buses turning into the ground and mixing it with pedestrians wandering around the forecourt ?
then the people who drive there to car park would also moan that they have not good access for their £4 parking charge as buses were in the way.

difficult to please everyone ,and there are just too many who think whatever mode of transport they chose-they have a right to get to the grounds doorstep .

Post match-again-seems to make sense, but no doubt the same people who complain that the bus does not get them back to p and ride quick enough, would take further umbrage that it would then take 5 minutes longer to get through the spectators leaving the ground .

you don't see supporters at other clubs going on about parking like this-because they are used to it and accept it.

At FGR ,so many can't seem to get their head around that in the EFL things ain't what they used to be.
If you want EFL football-you have to accept that parking is more difficult.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby StadiumMgr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Freddy wrote:Reading in Nailsworth News, our County councillor Steve Robinson has the answer to the problem. He writes "Rejection of the FGR stadium in Eastington
by the Planning Committee, means both councils will need to work with FGR to improve car parking on match days." So our county councillor is on the case. He continues "Several meetings with FGR have resulted in the attendance of Parking Enforcement Officers when large numbers of supporters are expected."
So how does this work, are the Officers there advising where people should park, helping with the control of traffic before and after the game? Or do they turn up at 3.15 pm and walk round the immediate area and book cars that are parked with one wheel on the pavement. Perhaps the stadium manager could enlighten us to the brief of these Parking Officers.

Parking Enforcement Officers simply issue parking fines; they don't try to manage traffic or help make it work. I have been trying to get GCC to do something about the parking/traffic issues for years, but they simply state that we "...are not a priority". :shock:

voodoobluesman wrote:Seems to me that the main issues are when cars or coaches parked on Nympsfield Road. Perhaps FGR could make sure that the P&R buses go from the ground itself, along with any other coaches, rather than park on the road. Then, the council could have Parking Attendants that actually do something about the cars parked along the road and Tinkley Lane. Perhaps then, we could have a police officer there to help direct traffic after the match. It's called co-operation.

The Game Within wrote:I've always said the parking of coach/bus on the main road is the biggest problem you have cars coming up from the school to go along Tinkley Lane (which have right of way) and cars trying to go down Springhill from the ground and estate so all you end up with is a bottle jam. Why can't someone from the club see this and park the coaches outside the main stand.

The road that runs between the East stand & school field, has to be kept clear for emergency vehicle access to the stadium; so we can't park the coaches on the road. The few spaces that run along side the building are used to accommodate disabled supporters or those with special requirements; so that isn't a good option either. And we will be holding back the main car park traffic too; more details on that below.

Parking the P&R coaches on the main road, pointing downwards, is clearly far from ideal; but we have very few options left.

voodoobluesman wrote: Both of the above issues seem to be resolvable by making sure that any vehicle that stops does so in the ground. The most important thing is to keep the main road free of stationary traffic.

Is it me?

Similar to above, we have to keep the road onsite clear and so can't allow cars to wait onsite to pick people up. And as the road doesn't loop around, cars would have to turn around near the main car park, which would quickly become blocked/descend into chaos.

One change that we are implementing from last season, is that we will be holding back the traffic onsite (i.e. stadium car park) for 15 mins after the final whistle. This is to help keep the traffic moving on the main road, the school car park and also for the P&R coaches; and worked reasonable well for a couple of games last season.

This will also help so that supporters on foot, can leave the stadium easier and safer, after the game; so this is going to be continued for the 19/20 season.

Regards,
StadiumMgr
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Cheers Dane.

I'm sure that this is not a thing that you haven't considered already.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm

One change that we are implementing from last season, is that we will be holding back the traffic onsite (i.e. stadium car park) for 15 mins after the final whistle. This is to help keep the traffic moving on the main road, the school car park and also for the P&R coaches; and worked reasonable well for a couple of games last season.

seems eminently sensible to me, though i guess you will have your flak jackets ready for the impatient and unreasonable moaners who will demand that for their £4 car park charge, they are entitled to immediate exit .

supply and demand-charge them £8 to park on site
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi
michael wrote:seems eminently sensible to me, though i guess you will have your flak jackets ready for the impatient and unreasonable moaners who will demand that for their £4 car park charge, they are entitled to immediate exit .

Or make a charge for departing in that 15 min time period countered with a £2 refund for departing later than 30mins AFTER that 15 min period
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:43 pm

michael wrote:One change that we are implementing from last season, is that we will be holding back the traffic onsite (i.e. stadium car park) for 15 mins after the final whistle. This is to help keep the traffic moving on the main road, the school car park and also for the P&R coaches; and worked reasonable well for a couple of games last season.

seems eminently sensible to me, though i guess you will have your flak jackets ready for the impatient and unreasonable moaners who will demand that for their £4 car park charge, they are entitled to immediate exit .

I agree. Great move. 15 mins is the minimum I would hold back cars for.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby StadiumMgr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:56 pm

michael wrote:One change that we are implementing from last season, is that we will be holding back the traffic onsite (i.e. stadium car park) for 15 mins after the final whistle. This is to help keep the traffic moving on the main road, the school car park and also for the P&R coaches; and worked reasonable well for a couple of games last season.

It's even worse than that, main car park costs £7 to park but now that hospitality use it most of it, people are paying like £58+ pp for the whole package....!!! :shock: .

Will get some Green Flak jackets ordered up just in case..... :lol:
StadiumMgr
Reserves
Reserves

Postby StadiumMgr » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Nice story on car parking and monies being raised for the school.....

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/july-2019/ch ... cal-school

Cheers
StadiumMgr
Reserves
Reserves

Postby It is now » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Yes great effort. Shame the picture is the Farmers Field car park. Assume he hasn’t donated his proceeds as well?
….. It Is Now (& Sons)

An Armchair Experts Production
It is now
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm

They do give their income to charity.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby StadiumMgr » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:18 pm

It is now wrote:Yes great effort. Shame the picture is the Farmers Field car park. Assume he hasn’t donated his proceeds as well?

The farmer donates the money to their own selected charities; usually a mixture of local and national.

Cheers
StadiumMgr
Reserves
Reserves

Postby It is now » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 pm

Ah that's excellent. I unreservedly withdraw my earlier comment
….. It Is Now (& Sons)

An Armchair Experts Production
It is now
Reserves
Reserves