For chat about all other topics

Gunning moves to National League South

Postby pauljoannou » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:51 pm

pauljoannou
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Gunning moves to National League South

Postby Tommo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:06 pm

That's a good move for him and he'll do well there if he is as focused as he was with us. It always felt to me that he was playing at his limit for us in EFL2 but he gave his all and he will be great a couple of levels down where he won't be caught on the turn so much. He'll make them laugh too.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:07 am

It seems i rated GG more than most.

Should be an interesting year for him listening to Mr Tamplin, and working under a manager who is somewhat naive -Harry Wheeler .

I don't blame him if he has simply followed the dollar-most of us would-,but from a footballing perspective he is so much better than billericay
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:03 am

Tricky. Probably no drop in salary. Good luck Gavin. Probably just the kind of player they need to turn investment into promotion.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:53 am

Wow. That is quite a drop in standard, money notwithstanding. Reminds me of Constable dropping to Eastleigh years back. Is the short term cash worth lost opportunity at a higher level?

Gavin is a confident guy, maybe cocky. Concentration for 95 minutes is his big challenge but he made a lot of progress over the year only to let himself down at Prenton Park (perhaps unlucky with provocation and an awful ref). Sadly it could ave been a career determining few seconds?

Not sure this sounds like a great long term plan, but good luck to him
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DominicH » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Gav's a decent player, impeded (as we saw) by his fiery temper sometimes.

Billericay though?

I'm not sure even the most level-headed man could deal with its owner on a day-in day-out basis.

I wish him well but fear the potential for personality clashes - or heated arguments, maybe in public - to arise.
DominicH
Youth
Youth

Postby paulK » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:27 pm

I thought Gav improved a lot in the second half of the season. Less mistakes, definitely more solid and making box-to-box type runs.

Yes, a bit of a temperament issue but hopefully he's getting through that learning curve.

I wish him all the best and hope he gets back into a higher division. He deserves it.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Saw this review of his performance in a friendly a couple of days ago on the Billericay website:

"Gavin Gunning, 8, Centre-Back – Highly impressive, commanding physical presence, and quality on the ball with runs forward reminiscent of Harry Maguire. Big gun signing, big gun performance"
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:58 pm

i would'nt argue with any of that .

frankly-i wish he was still at FGR .

-on the subject of recruitment - i read in today's NLP that scott bartlett advises/takes the credit that he was responsible for a fair bit of the recruitment at FGR , including that of Keiffer Moore and Norwood
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:15 pm

michael wrote:i would'nt argue with any of that .

-on the subject of recruitment - i read in today's NLP that scott bartlett advises/takes the credit that he was responsible for a fair bit of the recruitment at FGR , including that of Keiffer Moore and Norwood

But Norwood signed for the club around the same time as Bartlett did in summer 2010, Nors from Exeter on loan and Scott from Bath, when both were still players?

Would be unusual for a new signing, who at that point wasn't involved in coaching to be handling recruitment, but under DH I suppose anything went when it came to recruitment at that point. Interesting stuff.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:20 pm

michael wrote:i would'nt argue with any of that .

So do I spoke to him on many occasions always wanted to play and win, ok cash comes in to it but it does to most of us
Charlie5football
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:38 am

Some interesting posts

Big Gun Gunning has always been capable of towering performances. Sadly, also bouts of madness (less often last term) and mistakes through lack of concentration. Kind of Eddie Oshodi re-incarnated. My worry is that dropping down a few levels will only encourage the chippy of his engaging nature to take the fore. Hope I'm wrong as the Gav who concentrates for 94 minutes and remembers the game plan IS a good player

Scott Bartlett will be remembered affectionately by many players & supporters. But he needed to take the reins somewhere sooner or later, as he did successfully at FGR after 2 managerial departures. He is someone whose reputation and contacts will attract good players to the Seagulls

As to Nors, (temperament aside) his managers at FGR considered him a winger, so did most of us on this Forum. He disagreed and found a club and manager who backed him in a forward role. A few years and 70 or 80 goals later he proved his point, possibly aided by growing up a little (albeit still capable of some infuriating antics on the pitch).

Maybe Coops might have handled Nors better? We'll never know. But so long as all at TNL did not believe in his ability as a front runner, Nors would not have thrived here, to his potential. I'm afraid he is just another talent spurned by Ady's regime along with Chris Stokes, Matty Taylor .......
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:Some interesting posts

Big Gun Gunning has always been capable of towering performances. Sadly, also bouts of madness (less often last term) and mistakes through lack of concentration. Kind of Eddie Oshodi re-incarnated. My worry is that dropping down a few levels will only encourage the chippy of his engaging nature to take the fore. Hope I'm wrong as the Gav who concentrates for 94 minutes and remembers the game plan IS a good player

Scott Bartlett will be remembered affectionately by many players & supporters. But he needed to take the reins somewhere sooner or later, as he did successfully at FGR after 2 managerial departures. He is someone whose reputation and contacts will attract good players to the Seagulls

As to Nors, (temperament aside) his managers at FGR considered him a winger, so did most of us on this Forum. He disagreed and found a club and manager who backed him in a forward role. A few years and 70 or 80 goals later he proved his point, possibly aided by growing up a little (albeit still capable of some infuriating antics on the pitch).

Maybe Coops might have handled Nors better? We'll never know. But so long as all at TNL did not believe in his ability as a front runner, Nors would not have thrived here, to his potential. I'm afraid he is just another talent spurned by Ady's regime along with Chris Stokes, Matty Taylor .......

Interestingly Coops gave Williams a chance last season and George took it well.

And then CD came back.

Not so sure we'll be so reliant on a number 9 this season and with George in the attacking line-up I've a feeling he won't disappoint.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:01 pm

George and Junior up front will be a revelation this season, I believe.

2nd, auto promo and 86 points! ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:35 am

williams -no

mondal -very yes
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 am

michael wrote:williams -no

mondal -very yes

+1

Although I’d love it if Williams proves me wrong.
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:52 pm

Looking at how we set up last night it doesn't look like there's room for both so Junior might have to be patient getting game time off the bench until Coops loses patience with Willo ?

Unless we get the guy from Peterborough I reckon we will start with McCoulsky up top with Williams (or Junior) and Collins in behind.
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Main Stander » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:02 pm

Matt Rhead joins mad Gav...££££'s
Main Stander
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chrisgump11 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:31 am

Well, I'm sure that will help Gav's disciplinary record ...
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DominicH » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:18 am

Now THAT is what I call bankrolling a non-league team.
DominicH
Youth
Youth

Return to General Chat