Match thread from Jeff Stadium (Yate Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Jeff Stadium (Yate Town)

Postby twoguns » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for the detailed report Paul. First half I think some on here will have us relegated, second half promotion candidates.

In all the years I've followed FGR, preseason games have given little indication of form until it all kicks off in anger.

Also clicked on the missing mile link and was pleased this looks like it's finally going to happen. When we lived in Gloucestershire myself and the wife regularly cycled this route through woodland and fields.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby pauljoannou » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:22 pm

News on Charlie Cooper and Lloyd James here
https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... vers-boss/
pauljoannou
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks for that clarification. I hope Charlie Cooper and James find good clubs.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Foreign Green wrote:Of course I haven´t seen the game overseas. So FGR might have had 30 chances to score - and Yate have utilized their only one.

But I´m always a bit worried, when these amateur sides - Yates, Shortwoods, Supermarines, Brimbscombes, You name them - score against our best defence. How can we expect to survive in L2, if we can´t keep a clean sheet against Yate Town or Swindon Supermarine?

Our scoring doesn´t make me as worried. If You can create enough chances, it´s ok. Scoring - also against lower league teams - needs always a bit luck, though prolific scorers are supposed to be prolific in any circumstances.

But defending. If You take it seriously - as I expect professionals always have to do, not depending on, who the current opponent is - a decent L2 upper half side should give these Yates, Shortwoods, Supermarines and Brimbscombes only 1-4 half-chances in a whole game. Not more and not a single goal, unless they are lucky or score a once-in-a-lifetime-thumper.

The level, the gap between leagues must be shown clearly both in bright eyes and statistics. We should let Ollie Mehew know without any doubts, why we never needed his services at this level.

Their goal came about from the keeper playing a poor pass which gave the ball away and tbf it was a fantastic finish, wasnt so much poor defending (though bad decision making from Smith)

Enjoyable evening on the whole and good to see us turn it on second half after a bit of an edgy first 45
Bronco
First Team
First Team

Postby lovejoy2 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 pm

pauljoannou wrote:News on Charlie Cooper and Lloyd James here
https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... vers-boss/

Thanks for getting that cleared up
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby BroughtonPowell » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:18 am

Thought it was a good run out last night and few newer players looked like they will be knocking on the door for the first team.

Thought Collins was strong and skilful.

Dawson and Morton looked okay in midfield, but nothing special, worry where our creative spark will come from.

Second half much better moving the ball round quickly with Winne in a more creative role and Adams sweeping up.

Was impressed by Joseph Mills, good captains performance, always talking to the players and showed really good energy.

Will be interesting to see how that front line comes together, on that performance Collins and Williams - but who they are joined with could be anyone.

I still think we need a target man and a creative midfield player to really cause some waves in L2.
BroughtonPowell
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 am

Foreign Green wrote:But I´m always a bit worried, when these amateur sides - Yates, Shortwoods, Supermarines, Brimbscombes, You name them - score against our best defence. How can we expect to survive in L2, if we can´t keep a clean sheet against Yate Town or Swindon Supermarine?

But defending. If You take it seriously - as I expect professionals always have to do, not depending on, who the current opponent is - a decent L2 upper half side should give these Yates, Shortwoods, Supermarines and Brimbscombes only 1-4 half-chances in a whole game. Not more and not a single goal, unless they are lucky or score a once-in-a-lifetime-thumper.

The level, the gap between leagues must be shown clearly both in bright eyes and statistics. We should let Ollie Mehew know without any doubts, why we never needed his services at this level.

Everyone in the ground said that the Yate goal was excellent. It would have probably gone in the net against most football league teams.
Obviously best not to concede but the game was just a friendly where the team are finessing their team tactics/formation for coming season.
Was it not Brian Clough who said he didn't mind how many the opposition score as long as his team scored more.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby biggazza » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:48 am

When you consider we conceded 6 in a 6-6 draw with WSM this time last year yet the season didn't turn out too bad I think the doom mongers focussing on one goal conceded is a little premature
biggazza
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Its all about fitness and building relationships between the strikers, between the central midfielders, between the wingers and wing backs, and between the defenders. We won't be near perfect yet.

I'm sorry that things got in the way of me attending last night but scoring 6 goals is no mean feat against anyone and it helps build confidence as well as the things above.

On paper, and not having been there last night, I still lean towards Broughton Powells comment: "I still think we need a target man and a creative midfield player to really cause some waves in L2". Seeing the Number 9 shirt open still gives me hope we will add to the current squad.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Notwithstanding Ant's educated guess at squad numbers on a different thread-have i missed an official announcement about squad numbers and confirmation that the No 9 shirt is not allocated ?

that given-i agree FGR need another striker/target man ,but i could not care less if he or she wears shirt no 114 as long as they are a top quality striker
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stewjackhannah » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Enjoyed last night - freindly place and very cheap beer - Doom Bar at £2.50/pint!!!!
FGR were a bit slow and ponderous first half far too much sideways and back
It certainly tired Yate out as second half - and once we started passing forwards and wide - wide gaps appeared and it was a matter of how many we'd score; some good goals with the first two goals in the the game being pick of the bunch - Olly Mehews for Yate was a bit special and Morton's for FGR was a great team goal.
a bit difficult to comment on all the new guys however James Morton stood out first half - some quality work and touches from him; Dom Bernard - he is a Dan Wishart lookalike with a beard with one difference - based on his performance last Dom does have an end product!
Winny with a very striking haircut looked very sharp
Still need another main striker - target man though
stewjackhannah
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:15 pm

We might sign another striker, but pretty sure it won'tbe a target man type, going by the fact we've bid for Matty Stevens who is under 6 ft and is more of a quick poacher type, albeit fairly robust.

A target man doesn't particularly fit our style, we want quick passing, movement and runners in behind not someone up there playing with their back to goal slowing things down and encouraging team mates to smash aimless balls forward. We hardly ever used target men under Harvey but were always very good going forward, it's not vital to have one.
Last edited by Kentstripe on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:46 pm

You may want to discuss that with Lincoln City supporters who have won back to back promotions that way ?

that given-i would agree that there is no right or wrong way of playing-as long as it wins football matches week in and week out
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Accrington, Luton, Bury and MK Dons, 4 of the last 6 teams to be automatically promoted out of league 2, were all passing possession based sides. So there is no reason why it can't work.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 pm

fair enough.

from my perspective-oh for a Keiffer Moore type -but concede it will never happen under MC.
is the moon blue ?

as long as it is effective and winning football -all good.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team