Squad Numbers

All about our First Team

Squad Numbers

Postby Ant76 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 pm

Far be it from me to read too much into this, but I think it’s worthy of a post...

The numbers allocated to players may give some indication as to the remaining recruitment?

I notice tonight that Collins wore 10, having previously been 9. I wonder if this means the number 9 shirt is being held for another centre-forward... perhaps Stevens?

Taylor Allen didn’t feature tonight; can anyone tell me what number he wore at Supermarine?

Based on the numbers worn tonight, it looks like this:

1 Smith
2 Shephard
3 Bernard
4 James (although confirmed as not in MC’s plans)
5 M.Mills
6 Rawson
7 Winchester
8 Grubb
10 Collins
11 Williams
13 Montgomery
14 Adams
15 Morton
18 Dawson
19 McGinley
20 Kitching
21 McCoulsky
22 Godwin-Malife
23 J.Mills
24 Thomas
25 Mondal

Charlie is on his way out, as confirmed by MC this evening. Assuming Allen takes 12, 16 or 17... I wonder if that means there are a couple more signings to come? The squad looks ok; add Stevens as another option in the centre-forward role and we are pretty well-covered, although I am worried about cover at LWB if Millsy were to be unavailable... not sure that McGinley offers the same threat moving forward?

Anyway, as I say, I’m probably over-thinking this, but it’s a topic of conversation, I think?
Ant76
Youth
Youth

Re: Squad Numbers

Postby FGRinUSA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 pm

From a picture I’m pretty sure Taylor Allen wore 12. Wasn’t even on the team sheet tonight I hope he isn’t injured already :|
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRinUSA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:21 pm

Also I was hoping we would sign someone who would be handed the 10 shirt rather than 9, but after seeing the lineups in these PSFs I can see us playing a 3-4-3 a lot so the central midfielders won’t really be in creative roles. Wide players will have to create which they have done so far!
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby It is now » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:48 am

It was definitely 343 for the game last night and lots of wide play. At one stage in 2nd half I thought J Mills had been subbed off until I spotted him as our furthest forward player wide left! that Zebra kit camouflage certainly works! Agree Morton Dawson & co fit well but no-one made the killer pass into the box a la Reece Brown so we did recycle the ball too many times - usually until we lost it. We were more direct in the second half and we certainly have some speed merchants. Junior looked very sharp. I swear McGinley has grown 2" and got 1/2 yard faster during the summer !
….. It Is Now (& Sons)

An Armchair Experts Production
It is now
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:53 am

It is now wrote: I swear McGinley has grown 2" and got 1/2 yard faster during the summer !

It seems you are right-McGinley even said so himself in his interview from the training camp on the official site

PRE-SEASON | 'I feel like I've grown up,' McGinley
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Ant asks : I wonder if this means the number 9 shirt is being held for another centre-forward... perhaps Stevens?

Or does it simply confirm that Mr Cooper is going to play with one of those false number nine type formations ?
(whatever one of those is )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:00 pm

This could be a stroke of tactical genius, not having a player allocated the number nine shirt, our opponents are then lulled into a false sense of security in thinking we don't have a striker...but we have several players, wearing different numbers, who are capable of that role and score goals for fun!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby paulK » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Yes, probably over-thinking it IMO Ant ;)

I know I've been asleep, but has Digby left?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DominicH » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Yeah, Digby signed for Stevenage. Swapping Quorn for Burger King. And the Cotswolds for, well, Stevenage.
DominicH
Youth
Youth

Postby Ant76 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:39 am

paulK wrote:Yes, probably over-thinking it IMO Ant ;)

I know I've been asleep, but has Digby left?

I thought I probably was :D

Digby has gone. My 11-year old is gutted, Digby was his favourite player.
Ant76
Youth
Youth

Postby paulK » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:37 pm

DominicH wrote:Yeah, Digby signed for Stevenage. Swapping Quorn for Burger King. And the Cotswolds for, well, Stevenage.

Thanks Yes. I was asleep. :roll:
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 pm

DominicH, not sure you ever been to Stevenage Old Town but I have several times and can confirm it's very good. Excellent bars and restaurants.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby DominicH » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Twoguns, it's funny, I do know Stevenage a bit - I've relatives there and visited the town regularly when I was a child, and occasionally since.

As new towns in the UK go, I'd say that there are far worse around. Agree about the Old Town, but even a lot of the newer districts, at least, are very green. And I like the attitude and enthuisasm of their team's fans - as a cockney in exile myself I know where they're coming from .

The main problem I tend to find with that area (let's say Hertfordshire in general, but other similar places too) is that the overwhelming presence of London nearby tends to suck a lot of the life out of even the very nicest towns there.
DominicH
Youth
Youth

Return to FGR First Team