Club Shop Updates

For chat about all other topics

Re: Club Shop Updates

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:37 pm

1 The word used is "Dagger". I've never used a dagger to cut vegetables, I use a vegetable knife. A quick google of the definition is "a short knife with a pointed and edged blade, used as a weapon."

3 Not all lions remind me of Britain First. Most remind me of the chocolate bar. The one on these designs however, is a bit similar though, would you not agree?

voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRWill » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Don't agree. Our lion is facing to the left but doesn't care about who lives here. I'd urge anybody to check out our collection to realise for themselves there is no similarity, other than they are both visual interpretations of the same animal.

This is a ludicrous conversation :lol:
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Not to me.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Will - I’m usually a staunch supporter of the club and its representatives, but I think in this case you’ve misjudged the thread somewhat.

I don’t mean in terms of the content of your argument - much of that is subjective on both sides. I refer to the slightly dismissive and sarcastic tone that you appear to have taken with VBM’s concerns. He’s entitled to those concerns and entitled to have them adequately explained by the club. The chopping vegetables answer was glib at best. I’d expect better from a PR professional if I were their employer.
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:22 pm

At worst you could simply agree to differ?
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks TreeHugger.

Anyway, I've said my piece. If a representative of FGR wants to be like that, then so be it.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRWill » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

tommyd wrote:Can I suggest car bumper stickers for the club shop. Best way to get our name out there and grow the brand!

Nice idea :D
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRWill » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:35 pm

TreeHugger wrote:Will - I’m usually a staunch supporter of the club and its representatives, but I think in this case you’ve misjudged the thread somewhat.

I don’t mean in terms of the content of your argument - much of that is subjective on both sides. I refer to the slightly dismissive and sarcastic tone that you appear to have taken with VBM’s concerns. He’s entitled to those concerns and entitled to have them adequately explained by the club. The chopping vegetables answer was glib at best. I’d expect better from a PR professional if I were their employer.

Well, if you read them back, I responded to your concerns. You asked me what the club thought, and I explained very clearly why we chose to work with AnyForty and what I thought of the claims we glamourised knife/dagger violence or were channeling a nationalist organisation - in short, we disagree strongly.

It's easy for online responses to misinterpreted - so I'm sorry if you found my answers inadequate or tone off.

Somebody earlier said we hadn't got retail right yet - and that's something we can all agree on. There will be plenty of more familiar items for fans of the club to enjoy in the future.
Last edited by FGRWill on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks Will. That’s good to hear.
TreeHugger
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 pm

FGRWill wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:Will - I’m usually a staunch supporter of the club and its representatives, but I think in this case you’ve misjudged the thread somewhat.

Well, if you read them back, I responded to your concerns. You asked me what the club thought, and I explained very clearly why we chose to work with AnyForty and what I thought of the claims we glamourised knife/dagger violence or were channeling a nationalist organisation - in short, we disagree strongly.

Frankly Will, I have to agree with others. Your answers have been glib come sarcastic and to me, not at all convincing.

Yes, you have made your explanations, but unfortunately you don't generally get a chance to explain your point of view to those who will see this apparel in the wider world.

It is said that there is no real originality in this world. That everything that is done is influenced in some way. Even if one can - or thinks one can - argue exceptions this is in the miniscule minority of cases.

When I saw the lion design, the logo that came to my mind was the controversial UKIP one. The "highlights" in the lion's hair.

That somebody else thought it reminded them of the Britain First logo is probably not surprising given that the UKIP logo was based on the Britain First logo.

What I'm wondering is what thought and/or due diligence was carried out when these designs were put forward. What market research, if any, was carried out on how they would be perceived and amongst which market segments. Though I have to say, even it was carried out, from your replies here I'm not sure how much they would have been listened to - just explained and justified.

I still fail to comprehend the relevance of a dagger/knife through a football. Maybe you could explain that?

As for the lions, I guess I can see the similarities/influence, whether they are facing left or right.

Like I said, I like the devil t-shirt and the 1889. The two mentioned above. a bit of a faux-pas in my opinion. Not because of the design, but the connotations.
Last edited by paulK on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:25 pm

ignore, just me not knowing how to use the forum :oops:
Last edited by paulK on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:46 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
paulK wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:
paulK wrote:
Looks to be aiming at the younger generation and apart from a dagger through a football - which for some reason brings Millwall to mind - I'd say it possibly succeeds.

For some reason?

What reason?

I guess you must be of a younger generation. Millwall ultras gained notoriety as probably the worst of examples of football hooliganism and violence.

I was actually being sarcastic! There isn't a reason.
Millwall definitely doesn't come into my mind when seeing a dagger through a football.

No, I'm not of a younger generation and remember the 70's and 80's but it's nowhere near as bad now.

It's my nearest club and has a minority of trouble makers like most other clubs do. The majority are peaceful.

I took my daughter to watch matches there regularly for years when she was school age and we only stopped going because she eventually lost interest. In all that time we never saw any trouble. If anything, the away fans were worse because they always made a point of trying to wind up the Millwall fans just to get a reaction.

Incredible :? No reason :shock:

As with all groups of ultras, they were always in the minority. And yes, football has been well cleaned up since those awful days.

I'm pleased that you and your daughter could enjoy the matches. However, I guess we see this from different perspectives and unfortunately the image brought back to me one of football violence, let alone current issues with knife violence in general.

Take your point about away fans probably being worse. It was only this year that 10 Bristol City fans were arrested at Millwall, but let's face it, reputations can be hard to reverse.

To this day, Russian football ultras hold Millwall in the utmost esteem, which we would have seen if Putin hadn't clamped down on them.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 am

I think the designs look decent. I suppose you can never please everyone.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Club25 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Any update on when we can expect the first team replicas? I've pre-ordered and am feverishly anticipating its arrival (which will probably be delayed due to it needing to be sent across the pond).
Club25
Youth
Youth

Postby andymac26 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Club25 wrote:Any update on when we can expect the first team replicas? I've pre-ordered and am feverishly anticipating its arrival (which will probably be delayed due to it needing to be sent across the pond).

I got an e-mail last week indicating despatch was happening soon - think it said week beginning 22nd. Early November for you I'd guess.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Club25 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:00 pm

The new home kit finally landed on my doorstep yesterday, really pleased to finally have it in. Superb quality of make by PlayerLayer, made all the more impressive by the fact that they had to be designed and manufactured at such short notice. I'm not sure whether FGR's contract with them extends beyond next season, but i it does I will for sure get the next home kit they produce (definitely going to order a Medium this time - Large was unexpectedly.... large).

Loved how the store employee managed to get my name wrong as well, gave me a good chuckle. Will be putting a review of the shirt online on my wee site on the 1st of November for all to see.
Club25
Youth
Youth

Postby Eco-Exile » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 pm

paulK wrote:
FGRWill wrote:

Frankly Will, I have to agree with others. Your answers have been glib come sarcastic and to me, not at all convincing.

Yes, you have made your explanations, but unfortunately you don't generally get a chance to explain your point of view to those who will see this apparel in the wider world.

It is said that there is no real originality in this world. That everything that is done is influenced in some way. Even if one can - or thinks one can - argue exceptions this is in the miniscule minority of cases.

When I saw the lion design, the logo that came to my mind was the controversial UKIP one. The "highlights" in the lion's hair.

That somebody else thought it reminded them of the Britain First logo is probably not surprising given that the UKIP logo was based on the Britain First logo.

What I'm wondering is what thought and/or due diligence was carried out when these designs were put forward. What market research, if any, was carried out on how they would be perceived and amongst which market segments. Though I have to say, even it was carried out, from your replies here I'm not sure how much they would have been listened to - just explained and justified.

I still fail to comprehend the relevance of a dagger/knife through a football. Maybe you could explain that?

As for the lions, I guess I can see the similarities/influence, whether they are facing left or right.

Like I said, I like the devil t-shirt and the 1889. The two mentioned above. a bit of a faux-pas in my opinion. Not because of the design, but the connotations.

Logos look right up Old Tom Cat’s alley. Maybe a special blackshirt edition just for him? Maybe PaulK too.
Eco-Exile
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Mothy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:40 am

Please can we have a decent looking beanie this season. The last good one was the puma reversible. The design of the current bobble hat with the turn up but without the bobble would be fantastic (I have one with the previous club badge in this style) Maybe produced in two options, in a black colour with club badge and a green colour with club badge in black (OR/AND black with green "FGR" and green with black"FGR")

Thank you
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Previous

Return to General Chat