Match thread from The Valley (Charlton Athletic) CC

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Valley (Charlton Athletic) CC

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Just got back from the game - wow, what a good performance, we really deserved it. Great noise from the away end. Several players made notable displays, too many to mention tonite, but wow what a result. Only one bad thing at the game, had to pay £9.40 for a single pint of Blackthorn in the away fans bar !.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 pm

I thought Charlton rode their luck at times. We defended resiliency.

How many changes from our starting XI on Saturday tonight? More than one or two.

Ebou Adams had a great game in midfield breaking up then making simple passes.

Wollacott was outstanding. He didn't move an inch before the penalties were struck except one where he fell at the shimmy.

We could have been one up after 5 minutes. A very good all round team performance.

Looking forward to Saturday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Just seen some of rthe pics .

Had i known FGR were playing in pastel blue -a win would never have been never in doubt.
remember last season-FGR always win in blue .

Pleased to read Adams had a really good game.

delighted for McCoulsky -local lad and his family there tonight.
Sentiment should not get in the way , but so fitting and nice that he puts FGR through.

talking of McCoulsky -what is it with Newport County who always get (and win ) top dollar home cup ties ?

( i'm still in shock though )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 am

chopsy wrote:We rode our luck at times but were far from outclassed.

Think that's the 6th biggest stadium we've ever played in, the 'best' opposition we've ever beaten and the first penalty shootout win since?!

Joe Mills mom but morton was excellent for the first and last third. Such a shame we've only got him for a year.

Excellent stuff and even more progress from the village club.

Great summary. Though I think Godwin Malife would have been my MotM. He made a couple of errors but he did huge amounts right and saved a couple of awkward situations. I agree that Morton was certainly good in parts.

Overall I was fairly amazed. What a great squad of young players we have and MC will have tougher choices on selection than before tonight’s game. Kitching was great and I thought he would be a great sub for Rawson but G-M was just great and some of the passes he made in the first half are perfect for MCs plan down the right.

Wollacott was also very good. Lewis will get the short on Saturday but he’ll be replaced after the first bad game.

Up front we didn’t show so much and Allen was a disappointment. But everyone worked hard and Morton looked almost classy. Mondal looks weirdly short on confidence (why?) and Stevens needs a chance to score from.

We deserved to go through and a few Charlton supporters I met in the pub after agreed. As you say, biggest club defeated so far in our history. Onwards to Bournemouth!
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRinUSA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 am

Tommo wrote:
chopsy wrote:We rode our luck at times but were far from outclassed.

Think that's the 6th biggest stadium we've ever played in, the 'best' opposition we've ever beaten and the first penalty shootout win since?!

Joe Mills mom but morton was excellent for the first and last third. Such a shame we've only got him for a year.

Excellent stuff and even more progress from the village club.

Great summary. Though I think Godwin Malife would have been my MotM. He made a couple of errors but he did huge amounts right and saved a couple of awkward situations. I agree that Morton was certainly good in parts.

Overall I was fairly amazed. What a great squad of young players we have and MC will have tougher choices on selection than before tonight’s game. Kitching was great and I thought he would be a great sub for Rawson but G-M was just great and some of the passes he made in the first half are perfect for MCs plan down the right.

This is what I was alluding to in the other thread about Rawson. Not saying G-M is a better pure defender than Rawson right now (Rawson was great in the game he got injured), but he may be a better fit at that right center back. Which is where I see him long term and Rawson in the middle when Matt Mills decides to become a full time coach. (Hopefully later rather than sooner because he plays well too!)

I for one think it’s great that we sign so many exciting young players. These games are perfect for them. We are good at finding them and MC is great at developing them. I don’t take that for granted because that’s not how all League 2 clubs operate and I think it will really help us in the long run with not only them getting better and taking us to new heights, but fees when we sell them to Championship clubs and can re-invest in the squad.
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:39 am

Agreed.

I should also have mentioned Adams. He made mistakes too but overall was very good and played a couple of great forward passes.

A night of great promise and no wonder MC was chuffed with them.

Great support last night too
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 am

Only based on watching highlights, was not at the game, but Wollacott :shock: Made some outstanding saves and looks really up for it.

I have championed Thomas based on watching him a fair bit at Yate Town last season, he is far from the finished article but I think he can be an excellent keeper. And the way Wollacott played last night, Lewis will need to be if he is to hang on to the shirt. Not sure where Adam Smith is in Cooper’s thinking currently but it seems we have a serious three-way contest between the sticks, which can only be a good thing for the team and keeping everyone on their toes.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:51 am

GETCARTER wrote: Only one bad thing at the game, had to pay £9.40 for a single pint of Blackthorn in the away fans bar !.

:shock:

That is both incredible AND disgraceful - how on earth can prices like that be justified? Shocking :evil:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:30 am

Fabulous night. One of the most memorable as a FGR supporter not because of the nature of the Cup or whatever, but simple proof that the Club has properly arrived and is nurturing some brilliant young talent. Please be patient with these guys for they will reward you several fold by the end of the season

Starting point has to be our astonishing travelling support. 159 for a draining 4 hour trip in the working week, yet raucous and passionate. I salute every one of you (and me!) - in many ways this is the best part about our recent history, that a growing band of 'come what may' supporters always out-sing the opposition in their own back yard. It is joyous

We are used to seeing Prem & Championship sides field weakened teams or so called 'under 23s'. Well, except for a smattering of 'responsible adults' most of our first team range between 18-22. Last night, only Joe Mills tipped the scales as an arthritic 28 - the appointed babysitter

It is probably unfair to single anyone out from such a calm, mature performance. What a debut by Wollacott as so many keepers (Liverpool & Man City included) trained to play from the back, he caused a few flutters. But his handling, claiming and groundwork was first rate, even down to saving a point blank blast with his nut! Dom Bernard simply will not be beaten, nor Joe - if only they could get their crosses as well honed as every other aspect of their play. Newly muscled up Udo was towering & skillful well matched by Liam Kitching who will frighten many a forward. Nathan McGinley looks llike our next Ethan Pinnock. Ebou Adams, grinning like a tiger loves to make crunching tackles. james Morton - how can he be 18, he plays with all the assurance and calmness of a seasoned international. Taylor Allen & Matt Stevens never let the defenders settle and chased many lost causes. Yet for my money, Junior Mondal added the flair. His pace is sensational, so too his work rate. A defender can never relax even when a loose ball seems a dead cert. Even Dayle Grubb came to the party from the bench and Shaun further bruised a tiring defence

Ok, If our crosses had been better and our forwards shot on sight (rather than make one last 'perfect pass') we'd have been out of sight long before the end. And I guess Kitching will learn from his rash challenge that hero Wollacott redeemed.

But for the rest of the game we showed pace everywhere, great passing and clever build up play - FGR was the better side, no doubt. At the start as the players shook hands, some of their guys dwarfed ours, yet the defence was as good as I have ever seen and won most headers too

The penalties were never in doubt. Charlton were 'puffing' well before the end and looked deflated in their gathering. Our squad was 'head-up' and ebullient. I simply knew we'd win on penalties for the first time. Macclesfield, Telford & Wycombe finally laid to rest! Our car full got back at about 1.30, tired but very happy

I'm convinced I am watching a great side in its infancy. So skilled but also stubborn as hell. They hate to let goals in. Now if Coops can free them up to shoot on sight ...

Finally, Coops himself seems to be relaxing and frequently salutes the supporters. Little things but so valuable. He and the players must be inspired by the growing fanaticism of our away support. Small by some standards but still giants

So, a mouth watering tie at the best smaller club in the land whose manager & ethos all admire. Happy days. Now lets sort Grimsby out
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bill Shankly » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Thank you Sky Sports News for showing the shoot out.1413AM disappeared into the darkness by about 80mins.they scored 5 but need to up the power as the keeper would have saved if guessing the right way now our penalties are in the public domain. Surprisingly Grubb's was the worst. What a magnificent performance which shows we have depth and high potential in the squad .

The good news is Bournemouth play Man city on the preceding Sunday which will run them ragged and maybe demoralize them , so a settled FGR team versus 10 or 11 changes beckons......we have hope especially if the game is Tuesday.
Bill Shankly
Youth
Youth

Postby FGRinUSA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:51 pm

I wish the cup games were included in the video subscription. How was Wollacott’s kicking? Or didn’t he do much of it?
FGRinUSA
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 pm

FGRinUSA wrote:I wish the cup games were included in the video subscription. How was Wollacott’s kicking? Or didn’t he do much of it?

As dodgy/good as any of our keepers - a couple straight out in the first half and one dreadful pass short and central that Charlton should really have scored from. But overall, while sometimes a bit heart in mouth, not bad. I actually don’t recall many long kicks upfield.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Reading the Charlton forum it seems they were half expecting a loss - they are on a long losing run of cup matches.
But what peeved them almost as much was missing out on an away trip to Bournemouth, an area not far from where many of them live.

The Charlton people I came across after the game were all very pleasant and offered us best wishes in next round [before draw was announced].
Good looking stadium but with narrow seats. Suppose that is why many/most fans watched game standing up.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi OTC
I don't know where Charlton get their fans but it is 140 mls via the M25 or 120 via the S Circular which are similar distances to those most/many of our fans travelled yesterday.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi OTC
I don't know where Charlton get their fans but it is 140 mls via the M25 or 120 via the S Circular which are similar distances to those most/many of our fans travelled yesterday.

No answer to that :D
Just saying what I read. Presumably some live nearer South Coast than London and fancy a day at seaside. :lol:
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:25 pm

michael wrote:Just seen some of rthe pics .

Had i known FGR were playing in pastel blue -a win would never have been never in doubt.
remember last season-FGR always win in blue .

Pleased to read Adams had a really good game.

delighted for McCoulsky -local lad and his family there tonight.
Sentiment should not get in the way , but so fitting and nice that he puts FGR through.

-having just seen the winning penalty-well done again SM-but could you hit it just a little bit harder next time please.that was too close to being saved

talking of McCoulsky -what is it with Newport County who always get (and win ) top dollar home cup ties ?

I bet Newport have their tie televised and even more money for them.
they really seem to get lucky

( i'm still in shock though )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Bill Shankly wrote:
The good news is Bournemouth play Man city on the preceding Sunday which will run them ragged and maybe demoralize them , so a settled FGR team versus 10 or 11 changes beckons......we have hope especially if the game is Tuesday.

I hope you are right ,but is there a chance that Mr Howe may view it differently-and field a Bournemouth weaken team v Manchester city-knowing that they are likely to lose, but a strong team v FGr on the basis that he may well think that Bournemouth have a very good chance of actually winning the Carabaou cup ?.

Weren't there a couple of sides last season who fielded weakened sides v manchester city in order to have (theoretically ) a better chance in the following game
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Only one game that matters now. Grimsby on Saturday.

Just out of interest. Regarding fans last night. Me and IIzzy went down the bus stop to go along to the Rose of Denmark and there were 8 other FGR. fans at the bus stop all defo from SE London. I know this coz one had an FGR shirt and they were planning their first trip to the Cotswolds.

We stayed on the bus to Greenwich to get a pint and found a fish and chip shop open. Had that instead. So room from beer tonight. rubbish penalty shoot out.

Anyway. Back to Saturday. The most important game. Bar none.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:42 pm

apart from the cliched-the next game is always the most important (nearly always true anyway ) - is there any other reason why you regard saturdays game as particularly important ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:35 am

Morning Michael. It is because it is.

Looking forward to Saturday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team