Ambassador Match Reports 19-20

For Information about the Ambassador's program.

Ambassador Match Reports 19-20

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 am

Ambassador match reports received almost 9000 hits last season, so I will continue to copy them onto the FGR forum.

One or two ambassadors write a report on every home fixture, one usually appears in the subsequent match-day magazine, courtesy of Matt Edwards our Media Supremo.

Ambassadors endeavour to promote the club and its values during their year; they have a range of duties to perform. Writing a match report is one of their responsibilities.

Few children 'enjoy' writing but match reporting is less of a chore as it focuses on something they have a passion for and they have an audience to see their efforts. The odd comment from their 'readers, FGR forum users' is always appreciated.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Ambassador Match Reports 19-20

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:21 am

Our first report of the season comes from HENRY, who is a new ambassador at LEONARD STANLEY primary school.

My name is Henry, I’m 9 and go to Leonard Stanley primary school. Today was my first official role as ambassador at the New Lawn and I was really excited.

I get to write the match report, and what a match it was!

I didn’t know what to expect as Oldham kicked off the first half, definitely not that I would miss the crippling tackle that would bench Williams in the 4th minute as I was too busy looking at the photo I had just had taken with the Green Devil. The first half definitely seemed to be dominated by Oldham; there were some mixed emotions from fans at half time about the team’s spirit in the first half, but all agreed we held our own and ended the half with no goals.

Being in the club at half time was a great atmosphere, lots of concern as well as hope and enthusiasm for the second half.

The lads came out with fire in their stomachs and a determination to succeed. In the 54th minute I leapt off my seat at the thought of a goal, it was offside and not allowed. The lads kept the energy and giving it their all which finally paid off in the 71st minute when Taylor Allen scored during his debut game. The whole crowd leapt up and roared with excitement! By the time the final whistle blew, despite Oldhams best efforts, the victory was ours claiming 3 points in the process.

It was an amazing day, I hope there are many more.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Well done Henry, you've captured the atmosphere brilliantly.

Thanks Pitchfork for encouraging our younger fans to express themselves so well in writing on our forum,
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Our ambassadors are very enterprising - last year Brendan, who goes to school in Cheltenham, set up his own FGR website to record his work of an ambassador throughout the year.

This year Cam, one of or growing number of Gloucester ambassadors, intends to do a vlog for most games. I'm sure you will enjoy this one, go on give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEw2q_B ... pp=desktop
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Well done Brendan, how could anyone not appreciate this.

With support portrayed like this, our future is guaranteed.
John Whiffen
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:49 pm

First report in on the GRIMSBY match, it's another Vlog from Cam Hoffman, our ambassador from Churchdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay78j7P ... tVVMm3gp9A

I love the interviews with the police and the rating of the fans
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Forest Green vs Grimsby
Rovers Town

By Charlie Boulton and Lucy Crampton, Woodchester Endowed Primary School Ambassadors

Saturday’s match had an attendance of 2082 fans, 283 fans coming from Grimsby. Forest Green Rovers started with a lot of possession of the ball and in the 14th minute Joseph Mills crossed for Dom Bernard to head just wide of the goal.

Grimsby started to look dangerous from set pieces and had two corners in succession. In the 30th minute Carl Winchester was given a yellow card for a deliberate foul and two minutes later, Matt Mills was injured, before Wollacott saved a goal with a header.

FGR had one more change in the first half when good interplay between Stevens and Bernard saw Bernard shooting just wide.

Half time involved lots of chips and ketchup on our part (we were sad not to see any samosas for sale!)

Mark Cooper made one change at half time bringing on Dayle Grubb for Matty Stevens. FGR had a few more shots at goal and in the 62nd minute a good save from Wollacott denied Hanson after he had a shot at goal. A few minutes later, Hanson missed another chance for Grimsby. In the 65th minute, Dawson shot wide after good work from Grubb. That was Dawson’s last involvement of the day as he was replaced by Mondal.

In the 76th minute, Bernard’s cross shot was deflected back off McClousky into the path of Mondal who calmly struck the ball into the bottom corner of the net. FGR continued to dominate but in the 83rd minute, Vernam crossed for Hanson to head just wide, much to the relief of the FGR fans.

Although it wasn’t the most exciting of matches, we enjoyed the atmosphere at the New Lawn, as always and are looking forward to the next match!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:41 pm

And the second excellent match report from our Grimsby fixture

from Oliver Kovac & Jasmine Ahmad (St Matthews CoE)

We were lucky enough to be part of the players parade before the match that raised the excitement levels for us.

The sun was shining as Grimsby kicked off the match which was the only time, they touched the ball in the first 8 minutes as FGR kept possession. The 1st half was very even with Grimsby shading the best of the chances. FGR look good until the final third of pitch when they ran out of ideas when looking for the killer pass to unlock a resolute Grimsby defence.

After half time the game continued with FGR controlling possession without making chances. Grimsby striker “Hanson” had 3 good chances to score, the best on the 65th minute when he shot just past the post. Junior Mondal was introduced on 69 minutes and made an instant impact giving FGR a more attacking purpose. He was on hand to make the break through on 6 minutes after coming on, when he took a first time shot from in the area following a block by Waterfall from a Bernard cross.

Grimsby pressed for an equalizer but found Wollacott continuing his good form from the Charlton game and the amazing penalty save.

A great result for the boys who played well but on another day the result could have been different. Joint top after 3 games is amazing, lets hope we are there at the end of the season… COME ON YOU ROVERS!

Oliver Kovac & Jasmine Ahmad (St Matthews CoE)
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:35 pm

Another vlog from Cam Hoffman, our ambassador from from Churchdown on his memorable trip to Bradford City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol6-D6i ... pp=desktop
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:49 pm

I really enjoyed that. Thank you Cam.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Ambassadors don't usually write away match reports, but several attended the cup game at Bournemouth.

Here is the report from Poppy,our ambassador at Kings Stanley

FANTASTIC Forest Green Rovers
gave Premier League Bournemouth a big fright with a brilliant performance in round two of the Carabao Cup.

Rovers battled really hard to keep the game at 0-0 and take it to penalties, but their luck ran out as the shoot-out ended 3-0 to the home side.

As it was the last week of the summer holidays, we had a family day out before the big match, heading to Swanage for a few hours at the seaside. In Swanage we played Football Golf and Mummy won. She is a striker with lots of skills, while Daddy is a goalkeeper (no skills). Only joking, Daddy!

When we got to Bournemouth's stadium, Daddy saw Luton's Mick Harford in the car park. Was he there to scout my favourite player Joseph Mills? If he was, then he might have been disappointed as Mills and a few other regular players were left on the bench by Mark Cooper.
At least that meant I was able to have my picture taken with Carl Winchester after he warmed-up with the other subs next to the FGR fans.

So Rovers did not have their strongest team, but the players battled for the whole 90 minutes, the defence making lots of good blocks and tackles. Jojo Wollacott in goal was very good, especially in the second half, with some unbelievable saves, and the post was even on our side as well.Mills came on in the second half as FGR went for the win, but they just couldn't make a really good chance to get that goal.

The shoot-out started badly for FGR as Mills and Kevin Dawson both had their shots saves by Bournemouth goalkeeper Mark Travers, but Wollacott gave Rovers hope with a brilliant save from Jordon Ibe. It was not enough, though, as Travers saved again from James Morton, and the home side then scored a third to win 3-0 on penalties.

So no penalty glory this time, but a performance to be proud of, and not bad for my first FGR away game. Let's win the League instead! WE ARE FGR!
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks for your report Poppy!
It was an enjoyable evening wasn't it? And you cannot always say that when your team loses, but of course it was a draw at the end of "normal" play.
As you rightly say "a performance FGR can be proud of".
I couldn't agree more with the last sentence in yout report !
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:42 pm

FGR 0 – 2 Newport County By Jackson, our ambassador at Crossways Junior, Thornbury

The sun was out and the wind was hopefully blowing our way to a win – FGR Vs Newport County, Sat 31st August 2019.

The busy crowds were excited and everyone was munching on vegan treats – the game was about to start and hope was in grasp for FGR!!

It was a shaky start for our great team, but we kept our focus. However, in the 4th minute Wollacott sadly gifted a goal to Newport, putting us on the back foot. We needed to step up our game! On half hour it wasn’t Wollacott’s day, as he received a red card and was sent off the pitch – oh dear!

Luckily the 2nd half brought some fresh action – FGR even though down to 10 men kept the pressure on Newport County. In the 73rd minute FGR had a golden chance to equalise, through a Joseph Mills free kick. He struck a great effort, but the post denied him!

With 7 added minutes FGR pressured hard, however Newport County managed to seal victory with their second goal of the game.

The match was intense, full of hope although we were defeated, we stand strong.
Roll on the next game, FGR forever!!
Jackson
Crossways, Thornbury
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:03 am

Here's another entertaining vlog from our Churchdown School ambassador Cam Hoffman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGI2Gff ... pp=desktop
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Here's another entertaining vlog from our Churchdown School ambassador Cam Hoffman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGI2Gff ... pp=desktop

An excellent Vlog.
Cam makes them interesting by asking various people for their score predictions.
I thought it was great that he snuck into the away marquee to ask some Colchester fans their match forecast.
Well done.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback OTC

Here is our first written report from The Colchester fixture - thanks to Matthias Andrews from Foxmoor school

Forest Green hang on v Colchester

I was the parade and walked out with Dom Bernard. It was a great day!

It was a game of two halves. Forest Green dominated the 1st half. On 8 mins Matty Stevens was brought down in the box, clearly it was a pen, but not given.

On 16 mins Gerken the Colchester keeper made a fantastic double save ,to keep them in the game. On 31 mins Gerken got himself in a pickle with Luke Prosser, who put the ball in his own net. John McGreal the Colchester manager went bonkers.

On 37 mins Matty Stevens should have made it 2-0, and found himself one on one with Gerken who saved the shot.

In the 2nd half Colchester came out of their shell.

On 59 mins Senior shot inches wide. On 66 mins Senior nearly scored again but his effort was blocked by the FGR defence. On 70 mins Frank Nouble hit the post. Colchester really should have scored on 76 mins when Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu found himself unmarked, and headed wide from a corner. Mark Cooper went mental.

FGR hung on until the end to pick all 3 points. Man of the Match for FGR was Jack Aitchinson, and the best player for Colchester I thought was Courtney Senior.

It was an intense game!!

By Matthias Andrews
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Here is a second Colchester report from our Tewkesbury ambassador HARRY COLE, who attends Alderman Knight School.

14th September 2019, Forest Green Rovers vs Colchester United: 1-0

This is the first time this season we have faced Colchester United. The teams come out, marching onto the pitch with pride. It’s time for kickoff!

Both teams could win here today. I predicted the result to be a close one. I said 2-1 to FGR. Nearly 10 minutes into the game and our striker has been aggressively taken down in the penalty box. But the referee never took it into question, which resulted in no penalty!
Just before the 10 minute mark, the Colchester keeper pulls off a really good save to deny us. In result of the power of the shot, it was our corner. We nearly got a head to the ball, but it flies past Bernard. But we got a chance to go in front, but its blocked by the defender!

We went into 30 minutes, still no goal from either side. But as soon as I wrote this, we score by an own goal! 1-0 FGR!

As soon as we finished celebrating the goal, Matty Stevens tried to get another but missed. Now the 40th minute, there was probably one of the worst tackles from Colchester’s player. It was questionable it was only a yellow card.

It is now half time! We have been playing some Barcelona type football during the first half. One touch passing and great crossing! Let’s just hope the boys keep this up!

The second kickoff commences! We get up to the 51st minute of the game. Colchester, won a corner. FGR fans hold their breath in frustration. Fortunately, we defend the corner.
Oh no, our captain Joseph Mills, couldn’t keep his shot on target. Colchester, attack with pure pressure. They get half way to the goal, but Liam Kitchen comes up with a massive tackle to make breathing room. We’re on the counter attack but can’t get anything out of a good run.

SUB: 28-25 FGR
61st minute, it’s an interesting opportunity for FGR to make it 2-0 with a free kick! But sadly the ball is blocked by Colchester’s defence wall. We receive a corner in the 62nd minute. But yet still no second goal.

Colchester surprises all the FGR players with a huge swarm of an attack! Great passing from our opposition, their number 2 is in for the equalizer! But it hits the post! Great chance for Colchester, but really unlucky not to equalize.

Not long after, Colchester United, with intensity starts to walk all over us into the 70th minute. They’re on the run! Our player defends and falls down. The Colchester player whacks the ball into the back of the net. But it was denied for the foul! Very blessed to not concede a goal at this time in the match.
SUB: 22-2

Colchester gets yet another corner, but no goal for them.
Very happy to say that this game was watched by 2758 people!

A debate has began on the pitch over the ball. Not what you want to see near the end of the game. But the players calm down after the whole scenario. The game carried on!
SUB: 24-14

Another fabulous save by the Colchester keeper! He’s been denying us all game, fair play.
But after all the saves, tackles, fouls. FGR, survive the high attacking Colchester United.

My Opinion On The Game: We did well. Very pleased we scraped the victory and the three points. But it has to be said, we gave away the possession now and again during the second half. But we needed to keep the ball in our part of the pitch. Joseph Mills, our proud captain received the ball but no one tried to push hard when he went up the wing. The same for McCoulsky. As he made runs down the right, there was no help upfront when it was needed the most. We did well in defence. Bernard shone in that game alongside Shephard. It’s just the attack on the day needed to be better. But we will be next time round. Good job boys!

Onwards and Upwards with The Rovers!

Harry Cole aged 14
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby ka2019 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Great report Harry, I felt like I was really there reading it :) Glad you got to write up about a win, even if it was an own goal!
ka2019
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:05 pm

v STEVENAGE

My name is Evie Urquhart and I’m the ambassador for Rednock school.

This is my fifth year as an ambassador and I enjoy it a lot.

I enjoy the atmosphere and every part of a match day experience, also I enjoy talking about FGR in and around my school. At the match I did a interesting tour for two people which was very fun and and I went to say hi to Joseph Mills Kids!

The game started at a quick pace with Stevenage shooting briskly towards our goalie he made an excellent sharp save just three minutes into the game. Just after the half hour Mark Stevenage were on it again with a very dangerous looking free-kick just wide of the goal. Shortly followed by another brilliant saved by Thomas. Just five minutes into the first half a scramble in the forest green end didn’t result in a goal. With only 12 minutes to spare a header by Liam couldn’t makes us 1-0. A corner followed but once again no go slow and steady performance is what I would describe the game frustrating however one point up and now in fifth .
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:28 am

V STEVENAGE

My name is Alfie Young, I am 7 years old and I am the ambassador for Berkeley primary school.

I have been supporting forest green since I was three. I have taken over from my big brother Olly, who was the ambassador for Berkeley for the last two years. I always enjoyed helping him, so I have been really excited to follow on from him. I also help my dad wave the big flags at the start of the match. I really enjoy this because I can cheer the players onto the pitch and I get some high fives!

That was how the match began against stevenage, we waved the flags and cheered on the players hoping for lots of goals on a sunny afternoon against one of the bottom teams. Stevenage had other ideas! Forest green had all the ball but couldn't find a way through the defence. Stevenage looked like they could have scored but some good goal keeping from Thomas kept it level at half time.

It was time for half time chips, another thing I love about FGR!

We hoped for a better second half but it was much the same. Things got a little worse for rovers when they went down to ten men with 5mins to go after Taylor was given a second yellow card. Stevenage had a chance to win it at the end but luckily they missed their chance and rovers hung on for a point and another clean sheet.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to Ambassadors Forum