8 games in. So what's our best line-up?

All about our First Team

8 games in. So what's our best line-up?

Postby paulK » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Now we're in mid-September, we've had a look at the squad. So what do we think?

The latest scores site had us down as 3-4-1-2, which I think better than 3-4-2-1. I wouldn't class Kyle as a forward (attacking midfielder) but can't help feeling H may be the No 10 we need behind the forwards. If not him then who?

Matty needs a partner. Collins/McGoalski/Adams? Or maybe pair up Matty/McG with Collins/Adams?

For me, the middle 4 are the most difficult to suss. Given the wing-backs (Sheps & Mill) that leaves 2. An attacking midfielder and a defending midfielder?

Mondal/Taylor for attacking - Morton/Winnie defending :?:

Picking a back 3 is just as difficult :o Kitching Rawson Mills :?:

I can't help but feel we seem to have some in-depth quality this season and feel sure they'll start to click once the starting 11 stabilises a bit more :D
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: 8 games in. So what's our best line-up?

Postby Tom FGR » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:11 pm

3-4-1-2

Wollacott
Godwin-Maliffe Mills McGinley
Shepherd Winchester Morton Mills
Mondal
Stevens McCoulsky
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby lovejoy2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:25 pm

Wollacot
Godwin-Malife Rawson McGinley
Shepard Adams Morton Mills
Grubb
Stevens Aitchison

Although it’s really hard especially the two centre midfielders.

I think this shows how tough it is
Thomas
Bernard Mills Kitching
Whinchester Taylor Dawson Mondal
Collins
McCoulsky Allen

Or any combination of the two. Williams in for Grubb when he’s back.
Did I leave anyone out apart from Smith? We still have Lloyd James as well don’t we?
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Not sure how paulK and Tom FGR could prefer McCoulsky to Aitchison in their line-ups!!
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Nor me. The strikers are the easy bit now. Aitchison and Stevens look sharp and haven't played so much that they need a rest. Elsewhere there are lots of good options, especially in defence.

I'd go for Wollacott in goal - Thomas has done well but Wollacott has a bit more nous and experience about him I think.

Rawson is nailed on in defence. Kitching has impressed me in the last two games at Cambridge and on Saturday so I'd keep in him for now. So where do we play McGinley? Wow, he doesn't deserve to be on the bench. But we can't drop Joe Mills. Good strength on the defensive left side. LoveJoy is right - our second team looks very strong no matter who starts.

On the right of defence I'd play Bernard rather than Dokes who makes too many mistakes for me. But Shep will hopefully take over when he is fit.

In wide midfield we could fit Joe Mills, Mondal, Dokes or even Shep but I'd prefer to play people in their natural positions. So, I'd go for the experience of Winchester (who impressed on Saturday),

Wollacott
Bernard (then Shep when fit), Rawson, Kitching, J Mills (but rest him next game to see if McGinley is a better option)
Winchester, Taylor, Morton, Adams (or J Mills if McGinley really is a better option in defence)
Stevens, Aitchison

But Dawson, M Mills, Collins, Dokes, Thomas and even Grubb will be unlucky not to be included. Mondal needs to find some form and McCoulsky is going to struggle to get a chance to find form now. Allen is for next year imo.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:37 pm

twinkletoes wrote:Not sure how paulK and Tom FGR could prefer McCoulsky to Aitchison in their line-ups!!

I didn't. I have Aitchinson as a No.10 behind the strikers.

No.10's score goals ;)
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Tommo wrote:Nor me. The strikers are the easy bit now. Aitchison and Stevens look sharp and haven't played so much that they need a rest. Elsewhere there are lots of good options, especially in defence.

I'd go for Wollacott in goal - Thomas has done well but Wollacott has a bit more nous and experience about him I think.

Rawson is nailed on in defence. Kitching has impressed me in the last two games at Cambridge and on Saturday so I'd keep in him for now. So where do we play McGinley? Wow, he doesn't deserve to be on the bench. But we can't drop Joe Mills. Good strength on the defensive left side. LoveJoy is right - our second team looks very strong no matter who starts.

On the right of defence I'd play Bernard rather than Dokes who makes too many mistakes for me. But Shep will hopefully take over when he is fit.

In wide midfield we could fit Joe Mills, Mondal, Dokes or even Shep but I'd prefer to play people in their natural positions. So, I'd go for the experience of Winchester (who impressed on Saturday),

Wollacott
Bernard (then Shep when fit), Rawson, Kitching, J Mills (but rest him next game to see if McGinley is a better option)
Winchester, Taylor, Morton, Adams (or J Mills if McGinley really is a better option in defence)
Stevens, Aitchison

But Dawson, M Mills, Collins, Dokes, Thomas and even Grubb will be unlucky not to be included. Mondal needs to find some form and McCoulsky is going to struggle to get a chance to find form now. Allen is for next year imo.

Interesting one Tommo, but do you really think Coops is going to opt towards a 4-4-2? So far he seems to go for 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 when playing the wing-backs in a back four.

On the other hand, is that you're advocating? We should go 4-4-2?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Changing tack slightly amd forgetting our best team from the armchair -what team do we think MC will play v carlise :

i reckon he will go with :

Woolacott

bernard Rawson, Mcginley

mondal winchester Adams Morton mills

Stevens aitchinson

Kitchener done nothing wrong-but simply rested and picking up on the duty of care thing to the younger players.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tom FGR » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:12 pm

twinkletoes wrote:Not sure how paulK and Tom FGR could prefer McCoulsky to Aitchison in their line-ups!!

I think they offer better balance as a front 2. Can mix it up and go long ect. I see aitchinson as a impact sub further into the season..
Tom FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby paulK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Given Carlisle play 4-3-3 he might go for 4 at the back and perhaps match it.

If he decides to be adventurous, which I doubt:

Thomas
Bernard - Mills - Rawson - Mills
Adams - Morton
Mondal - Aitchison - Taylor
Steven

but more likely Winchester with Adams & Morton, instead of Mondal in the 11
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:04 am

Don't think we have a best team, which is the point I think. Very much a squad effort. We have lots of variety and versatility, so can pick a team to suit each game. For tonight I'd go with -

Wollacott

Bernard Rawson McGinley Kitching Mills

Morton Winchester Adams

Aitchison Collins
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby BroughtonPowell » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:02 am

I'd agree with Kentstripe on this one. Looks to be a much more squad based season, with every player having his chance, I think we all have our preferred teams.
I do think that MC is using the players to their strength and using impact subs when he can.
I can see the thought in McCoalski up front with Stevens/Allen and Aitchison coming on as an impact. and also putting on Adams into midfield to shore up the middle and see the game out.

I've still to see Aitchison and Taylor play - so i'll wait until i've seen them at the Stevenage game.

I would expect tonight, will be a 4-3-2-1

Wollacott

Shep Rawson McGinley Mills

Morton Winchester Adams

Aitchison Collins

McCoalski

Its so good to see the whole squad being used, keeps all the players on their toes and working as one unit.
BroughtonPowell
Youth
Youth

Postby Tj1889 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Tricky this! Not only because we don’t have a clear formation that works consistently, but also because there are so many good choices.

So here is my two cents

Wallacot
Shephard Mills Rawson Mills
Winchester
Mondal Taylor Morton
Aitchison
Stevens

I put Morton on the wing because his crossing is fantastic.

Thoughts?
Tj1889
Trainee
Trainee

Return to FGR First Team