Congrats Lewis Thomas

All about our First Team

Re: Congrats Lewis Thomas

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Congrats again Lewis for being chosen today.

We would love a clean sheet please!
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Thank you
x
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:14 pm

You always stick with the man in form - great message to everyone from MC. You have to earn the right to wear the shirt by your performances.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Another clean sheet. That near gaffe came from nowhere but was possibly symptomatic of the pressure we were under? Inevitably, Joe & co were not going to let the ball cross the line though - speaks volumes for the teamwork ethic

Judging by Coops' reaction (which was highly entertaining!) Jojo may be getting his gloves laundered?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:22 pm

I think MC gets frustrated by the fact that we criticise him/his style when that sort of thing happens-but in reality its the last thing he wants the players to do-and is happy to advocate the 'hoof it 'philosophy when needed.

as he would say-its decision making .
making wrong decisions occurs more easily when you are young and tired-but some decisions are more obvious than others-what was Thomas thinking there !!
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:29 am

And anyone who watched Prem & Football League highlights from the weekend will know that Jojo & Lewis are doing better than most!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:57 am

along with debate that its all pretty stupid and too risky .

is the bubble about to burst and all this pass from the back stuff going to be abandoned in favour of much less risky (but point accumulating )kick and run.

is the philosophy that goalkeepers and defenders need to have the ball control like sterling just a fashion item that managers adopted to show they understood the 'modern game' when in reality-its all pretty ineffective ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi
I find it interesting that such a lot of teams have started to use this new rule, BUT a change in the rules from a few years back seems to have been ignored.
A goal may be scored direct from the KO, I wouldn't expect it to be tried very often, but if during addeed time your opponents score a goal which costs you points (2pts if it brings the match back to a draw, 1pt if you were drawing and are now losing) wouldn't this be an ideal time to have go.
It may go in and reverse the situation or you have got the ball back up to their end and if your players have got a move on they can be challenging for control and a better chance of scoring than the usual KO backwards.

I did see it done once ,at a college game, when the player taking the KO after the half time break noticed that the opposition goalie was still sorting out where to put his water bottle and towel.
I suppose strictly speaking that was a ref error as they are supposed to check that both teams are ready before blowing.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:41 pm

I agree greeners-with the lighter balls-its pretty easy to hit it 50 yards with power these days.

saw similar by jean-michel Sigere for margate v someone about 20 years ago in a game played at dover during the exile years.

if you've also got the wind in your favour-i'm amazed its not deliberately tried more often.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:24 pm

In all seriousness, isn't this just a matter of judgement?

Keepers & coaches have a 'new toy'. Passing in the penalty area from a goal kick. Seemingly, most want to have a play with the toy but the keepers for 'pass from the back' teams are finding it hard to decide when to 'play' and when to kick to wings or throw. My guess is that it will take a few more weeks to settle down but I totally get that the reasoning is to invite forwards to press and therefore leave gaps behind to exploit on the pass & counter

Personally, I'd like to see the keepers encouraged to decide when is a good time, and to bring back bowling & throwing which tend to be more accurate. Then again, there's a reason why I'm a keyboard warrior not a coach!

For the record, having conceded 5 goals in 8 league games, just 1 was down to an errant keeper pass despite several near misses. That contrasts with numerous keeper gaffs and daft penalties in the previous 2 seasons by mid September. So maybe we're fretting over nothing and forgetting the back to front moves that do work and the frustration of teams who cannot get possession in our five 1-0 wins?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:03 pm

coming back to the header on the thread-such a small world the football world-i would not have guessed for one minute that Lewis Thomas worked with mark sampson at swansea
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Or that Dan James is his best mate! ;)
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby It is now » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 pm

It’s good listening to these confident and eloquent youngsters. Maybe no coincidence that we have very personable and intelligent young players and we play intelligent football?

Even coops seems to have relaxed this season and I’m starting to enjoy his dry sense of humour and acerbic wit.

Early days but .....
….. It Is Now (& Sons)

An Armchair Experts Production
It is now
Reserves
Reserves

Postby DominicH » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:38 pm

IIN,

Couldn't agree more. It's very refreshing, and admirable, and agreeable. Of course it would mean not much if they couldn't play, but they can, so it's good....
DominicH
Youth
Youth

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:39 pm

It is now wrote:
Even coops seems to have relaxed this season and I’m starting to enjoy his dry sense of humour and acerbic wit.

Really?
I thought I was the only one!
You just have to understand his sense of humour to love it!
:D
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:25 pm

It was a very good interview and I agree - he and the other young players who have been on show have been bright intelligent and articulate. That has got to help in getting ideas across on the training ground and during games and in their overall development.

Coops is a Yorkshire miserabilist with a typically dry (to the point of parched) sense of humour. He has a laugh, sure, but rarely at his own expense. I like his direct approach and openness and I'm sure that works with most players who just want to know how to play in his teams and what he wants. Anyway, we DV doesn't pay him to be a comedian and its points on the board that counts and MC is doing well on that score. Three more points today will be fine even if there are no jokes.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:09 pm

And nothwithstanding our own problems in hitting the onion bag that's 3 clean sheets in a week for Lewis ................ the surprise success story for me so far this season !
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:39 pm

And Man of the Match yesterday - very well done.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:07 pm

GETCARTER wrote:And Man of the Match yesterday - very well done.

Haha, he didn't have much to beat but yeah, maybe his best game so far. A couple of good saves and no mistakes that I saw. Continuing improvement is promising.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team