New Goal-Kick rule

For chat about all other topics

New Goal-Kick rule

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:40 am

Over this week-end i witnessed four suicidal defensive blunders when taking the newly installed goal-kick rule. Now the defending side can start play with a pass to a team-mate standing inside the penalty-area, thus drawing in the opposition closer, creating more space upfield in which to attack, keeping possession and being in control of play. However, first up was the Man. City game v Norwich, that caused a goal for the Canaries , second was our own goalie Lewis getting in a right pickle,only to be saved by some resolute last ditch defending, third went to watch Worthing v Leatherhead where the home goalie played his full-back a hospital pass that caused mayhem and resulted in a goal,and lastly the Arsenal defence again playing out from the back,making a dreadful mistake, that Watford converted and came back into the game. This shows that teams are trying to play the beautiful game keeping possession out from the back, but with very mixed results, that do no good for the team's and their supporters heart-rates - examples from our own Premiership down to Ryman Leagues over one week-end. Phew........
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: New Goal-Kick rule

Postby michael » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 am

whilst on saturday we had a couple of the usual heart stopping moments-i thought the new rule makes the pass from the back a bit 'safer',as most goalkeepers are better and more accurate kicking it 5 yards to a teammate inside the box than they are kicking it 18 yards to the edge of the box.

i thought kitchener 'made himself 'available well to receive said short passes
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:17 am

Hi
It would be interesting if some "Statto" is keeping a check on how many goals, or panic defences, have been given away in the different Leagues in these first few weeks.
I am not expecting our LM to have recorded such incidents.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:54 am

Greeners wrote:Hi
It would be interesting if some "Statto" is keeping a check on how many goals, or panic defences, have been given away in the different Leagues in these first few weeks.
I am not expecting our LM to have recorded such incidents.

Definitely not, I have enough hours work keeping all the FGR stats.

LM
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Now that the likes of Liverpool have set a precedent and a high press this is a kamikaze tactic I believe. Noticeable about the World Cup and many ECL, EPL and Championship games is just how many games are won by teams who have low possession but still have more shots on target.

I stand firm with the view that most goals occur from an error and that having more possession in your own box simply increases the occurrence of errors close to your own goal.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm

agree-is it not just blatantly obvious ?

as you say -the percentages are against you ,so why do many managers advocate it these days ?
i guess its a 'cool look'.

-maybe a bit like going out in winter with just a T shirt ,but then catching flu.

-as i have said before-if you lose possession/concede a throw in 70 yards upfield-does it really matter-you' will probably win the resultant throw in anyway (which happened a few times for both teams on saturday ).conceding a throw in upfield is hardly a disaster.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:01 pm

As EE points out, it is the high press that causes issues with playing out from the back. And that's across ALL divisions.

We beat the press a few times on Saturday with midfield coming short and giving options. The key is having someone to pass it to and sometimes there just isn't anybody.

I'm not sure but I can't help feeling that with the ball not having to go out of the box, it's made the press easier in many ways and more mistakes are being made this season.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 pm

its at times like this you realise that Hockaday was a genius and so far ahead of his time.

Surely 'the Press' is just Hockadays ' Squeeze ' but with two fewer letters ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat