Shawn McCoulsky

All about our First Team

Shawn McCoulsky

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:45 pm

Has joined Bromley on loan. https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/september-20 ... ey-on-loan

Good luck to him, hopefully he can get some goals and build his confidence.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Shawn McCoulsky

Postby View From The Pitch » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:29 pm

I feel sorry for the lad. I would prefer him to Stevens at the moment but clearly MC does not have the trust in him.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby Philpot » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:05 pm

I think Mat Stevens is the best unlocked potential we have at the moment
He can play with his back to goal with strength to hold up play
A couple of goals in the next two games and his confidence will take off and the crowd would be behind him
Mac does not have that type of strength
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby DominicH » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:15 pm

I had been wondering if a loan out might be on the cards, after McCoulsky's recent absences, even from the bench.

Gotta say: I think it's for the best. While he's been an energetic, committed presence redolent of potential....that doesn't get us any points at the end of the day. I don't think that is entirely his fault - it took a bit of time to get the midfield working at the start of the season (and maybe now that we have started to play our possession game more in the attacking half, there might be more chances that he could make something of). But it might be good for him to play in a good team in the league below, and get the confidence that comes with actually scoring goals, and return invigorated and hopefully inspired to do so for us.

In short: I don't think in practice he has quite lived up to what was promised or hoped for - again, not entirely his fault, Doidge coming back led to a change of game-plan - so some kind of reset might be a good thing.

Good luck south of the river Shaun!
DominicH
Youth
Youth

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Philpot wrote:I think Mat Stevens is the best unlocked potential we have at the moment
He can play with his back to goal with strength to hold up play
A couple of goals in the next two games and his confidence will take off and the crowd would be behind him
Mac does not have that type of strength

Agree P, he didn't get that coveted late No 9 shirt for being a lonee candidate..
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:44 am

Through recent years I have sometimes heard and seen him given the nickname McGoalshy. It is a shame that he was unable to prove this wrong for us.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby lovejoy2 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:02 am

A shame it’s not worked for him. It very fine lines, in preseason he looked good and scored goals. He played well in the first few games and actually I can see why some people prefer him to Stevens. He works hard, hold yeh ball up well, decent in the air and has great pace. He just needed a goal to get him going. On the other hand he now has about 20 appearances for FGR and zero goals and for a striker that is all that matters. I hope he finds his mojo on loan.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby BroughtonPowell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 am

It is a shame for Shawn he was caught up in the whole politics of the Doidge move - and was meant to play that Doidge type role.

I think how the team is set up now, it does not really play to those strengths of Shawns, but then the most important fact he is just has not scored the goals, when your wing back is scoring more than you then you have to think this is not working. I hope he hits the onion bag a bit more with Bromley.

Looks like the team is starting to take shape now and I think we are all pretty excited to see when it will start to click, lets hope it's against those Burger King bonzos from Stevenage.
BroughtonPowell
Youth
Youth

Postby 20yrs and counting » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:59 am

Thought when paired up top with Stevens against Southampton they looked like a good partnership and was surprised this combo wasn’t tried in league. Definitely has potential. One day, probably after he leaves, it will all click into place. Always looks low in confidence. Needs a coach to motivate him to fulfill potential.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:57 am

I similarly think the same about Mccoulsky and hope it does click into place for him-possibly upon a return from a successful loan spell.

all i would add is that it seems a similar situation to campbell- where it never quite clicked-and although quite a few were upset that he was allowed to leave-it has not gone unnoticed that he is not a starter in cheltenhams relatively successful team
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:54 pm

Wasn't expecting this, but I hope it re-rejuvenates him. He needs some confidence.

Unfortunate in the early games that midfield didn't give the forwards much service.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:20 pm

The one thing about McCoulsky is that he's already proved he can do it at this level with Newport. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running at Bromley, score a few and come back rejuvenated.

Good luck Shawn.
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:28 pm

i think the point about not creating enough chances for the strikers-especially early season is well made.

the other thing is that most players -strikers included -make a play about joining/attracted to fgr because of the style of football played.

(well they would say that wouldn't they and in a few instances-probably true.

if you are a striker though-you are surely less 'involved' in the style of football thing/passing game.
your amin job is to hold the ball up/score /strike .
-not play with style.

if you are a striker-maybe you get more success leading the line for a more direct team, where perhaps more chances are made for you.

-maybe it is a bit more difficult to be a 'striker' at fgr ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:00 pm

Yeah, good luck Shawn. I agree with most of the comments so far - he’s been a bit unlucky but he just hasn’t scored enough when it’s mattered. It’s rare that loanees come back but I hope he gets s hatful at Bromley snd that he comes back stronger and brimming with confidence.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Scored today, which is more than FGR could muster. His goal was the winner too.
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:09 pm

The Running Rover wrote:Scored today, which is more than FGR could muster. His goal was the winner too.

And took them top of the league! All in twenty minutes' work for our Shawn.
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Big fish in a smaller pond maybe?

When there are so many strikers competing for a place, the pressure must be immense.

Hopefully he'll score every week at Bromley and get that sought after starting place when he returns.

Good luck and well done Shawn!
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:42 pm

With the amount of high balls punted forward today and Matty Stevens winning nothing Shawns height and pace would have been a much bigger threat
Last edited by lovejoy2 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Good on u Shawn. Did precisely what I thought he’d do. Play to his strengths and he will score.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:03 am

Great news for Shawn, Bromley and us. Hopefully he will be a regular, get fit and confident and come back and shake up our toothless forward line.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team