NEWS | Rovers reveal dazzling new away kit

For chat about all other topics

Re: NEWS | Rovers reveal dazzling new away kit

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:06 pm

Bristol_Green wrote:
Foggy wrote:Risking lives of sailors, by using explosives against their vessel, probably oversteps the line between being an eco-warrior and a terrorist.

To be brutally honest, I will choose a whale's life over a whalers, every day of the week.

So would I.
I would also choose a fox’s over a fox hunters and a bull’s over a matadors.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Bristol_Green wrote:
Foggy wrote:Risking lives of sailors, by using explosives against their vessel, probably oversteps the line between being an eco-warrior and a terrorist.

To be brutally honest, I will choose a whale's life over a whalers, every day of the week.

Killing a whale is sad but the loss of human life is no less sad.

Soon the UK will have Mahatma Ghandi on its coinage.
He won independence for India by passive opposition.
Greenpeace do the same.
I support Greenpeace.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Greenpeace do the same.
I support Greenpeace.

....even though one of their ships was sunk by the French navy killing a crew member.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Simba » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:43 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Bristol_Green wrote:

Killing a whale is sad but the loss of human life is no less sad.

Greenpeace do the same.
I support Greenpeace.

Funny you mention Ghandi, his approach of passive disruption are the same tactics used by Sea Shepherd (They are a non-violent organisation btw). They chase, frustrate and document incidents of illegal fishing or animal slaughter to both raise awareness of the problem and interfere with the process. They do the nautical equivalent of a 'sit in', obstructing whaling vessels from the whales.

Some of this happens in international waters (illegal whaling at least), where no country has the will to police it properly. They are dealing with pirates who operate outside of the law but have government backing.

Greenpeace don't do enough for my liking, they talk a good game and their message is on point but petitions don't really change anything.
Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

FGR and Ecotricity Web Designer
Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Simba wrote:Greenpeace don't do enough for my liking, they talk a good game and their message is on point but petitions don't really change anything.

I have supported Greenpeace since it started in the early 70s, it has had its success stories during the last 50 years but change has been very slow. I still have my 'Rainbow Warrior' badge and can vividly recall the time the ship was sunk by the French intelligence service. Initially the French government covered this up but eventually the French Prime Minister Laurent Fabius summoned journalists to his office to read a 200-word statement in which he said: "The truth is cruel," and acknowledged there had been a cover-up, he went on to say that "Agents of the French secret service sank this boat. They were acting on orders." A photographer on board 'Rainbow Warrior' was killed.

Sea Shepherd is more pro-active, disruptive & confrontational than Greenpeace. Their direct action has had more success. Sea Shepherd claims that their tactics are necessary to uncover and impede actions that violate international laws protecting wildlife, as the international community has shown itself unwilling or unable to stop species-endangering whaling and fishing practices. This is hard to disagree with.

Disruption is often necessary to bring about change; you sometimes have to upset people. To paraphrase the stand-up comedian Kae Kurd (because dark humour gets us through dark times): 'If the people you’re protesting against is happy with your means of protest…then that’s not really a protest, is it?'.

From the 14th century English Peasants’ Revolt, to the Suffragettes sticking it to the patriarchy in the early 20th, to Martin Luther King proclaiming 'I have a Dream' in 1963, the story is the same. Black Lives Matters has challenged the status quo & reached parts of society that were unaware of the existence of unequal opportunity in society.The Establishment disregards the protesters until the downtrodden cause a sufficient nuisance that they can no longer be ignored.

I respect those who believe Sea Shepherd goes too far on occasions, but also feel it is fitting that FGR, the most radical football club in the UK, associates itself with such an organisation. And do remember we say 'No' to many businesses & potential sponsors who cause far more problems for the environment & society than Sea Shepherd.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:48 pm

Greenpeace have done far more than Sea Shepherd.
Some of their volunteers are the bravest people on the planet.
They deliberately placed their small boat between a huge whaling shop and a whale in Arctic Oceans.
Another good reason why I support them.

After the French bombed Rainbow Warrior and killed a crew member their front line volunteers carried on the good work despite obviously being targeted by national governments.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Simba » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:54 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Greenpeace have done far more than Sea Shepherd.
They deliberately placed their small boat between a huge whaling shop and a whale in Arctic Oceans.

After the French bombed Rainbow Warrior and killed a crew member their front line volunteers carried on the good work despite obviously being targeted by national governments.

There's a place for both types of organisations, and I don't mean to be completely dismissive of their work. Anyone trying to protect the environment from business interests is risking their own health (and or freedom).

But as Pitchfork illustrates far better than I, it is truly disruptive protest that changes the status quo.

Worth pointing out that one of the founding members of Greenpeace was Paul Watson, who went on to create Sea Shepherd because the Greenpeace approach was too slow and ineffective (in his view).
Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

FGR and Ecotricity Web Designer
Simba
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Simba wrote:

There's a place for both types of organisations, and I don't mean to be completely dismissive of their work. Anyone trying to protect the environment from business interests is risking their own health (and or freedom).

But as Pitchfork illustrates far better than I, it is truly disruptive protest that changes the status quo.

Worth pointing out that one of the founding members of Greenpeace was Paul Watson, who went on to create Sea Shepherd because the Greenpeace approach was too slow and ineffective (in his view).

Simba, you are not wrong but I fell out of love with Sea Shepherd a few years ago when they publicly targeted some honest hard working guys who lived in the Farao Islands, simply because they represented the island in football matches.
I don't agree with the slaughter of dolphins in the waters around Farao but it has been going on for centuries and involves most of the population. So for Sea Shepherd to target two single members of the population is nothing less than bullying. The guys were working class who had normal full time jobs but could play football to a standard compared to England's 7th tier.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:22 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Simba wrote:

Simba, you are not wrong but I fell out of love with Sea Shepherd a few years ago when they publicly targeted some honest hard working guys who lived in the Farao Islands, simply because they represented the island in football matches.
I don't agree with the slaughter of dolphins in the waters around Farao but it has been going on for centuries and involves most of the population. So for Sea Shepherd to target two single members of the population is nothing less than bullying. The guys were working class who had normal full time jobs but could play football to a standard compared to England's 7th tier.

Faroe*. Getting it wrong once could be a typo. Twice is wilful ignorance.
Eco-Exile
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 am

Eco-Exile wrote:
Faroe*. Getting it wrong once could be a typo. Twice is wilful ignorance.

Did I spell same word incorrectly TWICE.
Big Deal.

Your reply is offensive which is a far greater crime than my spelling.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to General Chat